IAM Members

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by JimDiesel, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I have decided to do the IAM this year, can't decide whether to join the Nottingham or Derbyshire IAM as I live on the border between the two....
    Any existing members on here?
    Or anyone had experience of one or other or both??
    Anyone got recommendations or advice?

2. Smurf

Smurf New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Notts
    I had an assessment with the Nottingham lot a few years ago and they seemed a decent lot, I just didn't fancy it at the time but I am a bit older/wiser now. The Nottingham group are having free assessments rides in April (I think) in Radcliffe on Trent but you have to pre=book. I havent got the details but Pidocks had a flyer about it in their coffee bar area.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctordeano

Doctordeano Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    I am a current member of the HBAM (Herts and Beds) and passed my IAM Motorcycle test about 3 years ago. A great way to improve your riding and meet up with like minded people. I had a Ducati at the time but found most were BMW or Honda Pan riders so a lot older than me but they were a good bunch and I am still a member and have even lead our own Green Badge ride for the group!
    Still learning and still making mistakes!

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Well, it was my birthday at the weekend and I was lucky enough to of had the IAM Skills For life package bought for me!!! :cool:
    I have registered with the NAM (Nottingham affiliation of IAM), have already received a couple of welcome emails and just awaiting contact from my observer once I am assigned one..

I am now petrified!! Lmao I know it's gonna be fun, eventful and give me loads to learn, but I haven't had to sit a test for at least 12 years, let alone be repeatedly observed, assessed and tested by a Class 1 probably police rider.. Aaargh

Excited, and looking forward to it along with all the other membership benefits...

I will put updates on this thread of how it goes if you like...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Doctordeano

Doctordeano Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    It's good to have feedback on your riding and once you know your weenesses so you can work on them.
    Once you have your first meeting and build on that relationship it will be just like going for a ride with a mate with the added benifit of some hints and tips on your riding. I am sure I have picked up loads of bad habits since I passed especially commuting into London.
    Good luck and enjoy. Don't look at is as a test. Just some expert training.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ok, so day 1 of the IAM....

Meeting the class 1 police rider for initial assessment. Expect up to five hours for this...

08:00 bike out, baffles back in arrow cans, black visor changed for clear, driving licence and insurance in pocket, 11 minute tune in going having re fitted baffles...

08:30 breakfast done, leathers on, hi vis vest on, cash for dinner n fuel, check.

08:35 who requested the sleet n rain... Oh flipin Nora this isn't gonna be the lovely day I had imagined...

08:37 Assessor just called to say its snowing where he is but we will still do it.... Oh dear lol now I am beginning to wish I wasn't a fair weather rider...

Nice shiney clean bike meet snow, sleet, rain and freaking salt!!

I will up date on my return...

7. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Well? How'd you get on? I've just signed up to the Merseyside RoADAR motorcycle group. I start the course on 22nd June. Watch this space....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doctordeano

Doctordeano Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    Update please!....

• Like Like x 1
  9. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ok all, apologies for the delay, I spent the whole night de-salting my bike...

Wed 20/03/12
    08:45 Set off to rendezvous location

08:50 Find my self nervously trying to wipe snow from my visor in an attempt to see where I'm going. Only to find I'm in a blizzard of snow flakes the size of fifty pence peices...

09:15 arrive at destination, snow stopped and not settled :tongue:

09:18 Meet Senior Assessor - decide to see if weather passes... Tea and a coffee it is then..
    So, chat to learn about each other, experience, expectations and so on...

09:45 Assessor decides as the next white out starts, to cancel assessment for today...
    Gutted, but at the same time relieved that I'm not under pressure in these conditions...

The assessor or Mr X as I will call him explains why (not that I Need an explanation), it would be unfair to me as his bike is camerad up and he intends to film my riding from all angles, talk about various bits and then build an observers plan, he would not like riding in these conditions and so could not expect me to....

I got to learn a bit about Mr X, and what I did, I liked, instantly putting me at ease...

I am booked in for Thursday 28th of March, When we will be experiencing a heat wave... Hopefully....

We donned our kit, and head are way home... In yet another white out...

Two and a half hours seen my speed, washed, De-salted and back in my kitchen... :upyeah:

Role on next Thursday.....

To be continued......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Good luck for the 28th Jim

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
  12. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Yay, finally, initiall assessment completed, 5 n a quarter hours....

Met at 0900, short brief, observer Andy checked paperwork, licence, insurance n tax etc. Issued me with an ear piece and off we went.... I was to lead....
    First few miles I was so nervous it was unreal...
    Soon settled down and the cold took my mind off it...
    Covered a real mix of roads from Nottingjam through to Newark, approx 2.5 hours ride out, it wasn't till we stopped at a rail crossing that I realised how cold my fingers were.... Especially my right hand... Thankfully the train took ages so I sat and held the exhaust....
    We stopped at KFC in Newark for full brief, coffee and a zinger burger... I was hank marvin..
    Having told Andy at the start I'd had ten years out of the saddle and only really been back on a bike since about May last year, he was a little aprhensive of what he was going to see...
    Thankfully, he said he was really impressed with my riding, and whilst there is definitely areas where work is needed, the big one being position is nearly bang on...
    Wowsers, I was expecting that, I was totally expecting to be picked apart... This wasn't the case, he was constructive with his observations, giving a mix of good and bad points (although I was expecting more bad tha I got).
    The ride wasn't without encounter though.... Damp and icey sections, pillows of road salt and grit, two fat pheasants sat right on my line and were not phased by the bike at all until I started to beep the horn and even then they were in no rush... Two bends on and a rabbit wants to take a chance and dashes between me and the observer... And then ten mins on a black bird flew straight across the road, realising last minute and was back flapping in vein and thankfully avoided becoming helmet furniture... How ever he obviously panicked and crapped at the very last minute all down my jacket... Part of me wishes it hadn't seen me and just bounced off my helmet...
    So in the brief, we go through some scenarios on paper, thankfully again, he reckons I do a lot already but the bits I need are straight forward... My biggest downfall was position to other vehicles all round, a tad too close at the front, to close to the centre line when on coming traffic coming, could be further away when passing parked vehicles or overtaking, also pulling in too soon after an overtake... This to me is good news, anything your not doing that might save your life or be advantageous to your riding has got to be good feedback.... Loads of little bits to work on, which is a bonus.

On the return, Andy leads, he gives me a full commentary and I soon realise he is scanning the dangers from his front wheel all the way up to and as daft as it sounds beyond the horizon... I thought I was looking far enough ahead but clearly not...

One final stop on the way back to hand the radio back and quick Q@A session then he hands me My assessment form for me to take to the next session and he bids fair well.

Really nice guy, not a bit like I expected, down to earth and in some ways just one of the lads... He lives not far from me, and attends one of our local bike meets so I'm bound to see him again.

I have plenty to read and learn now before my next session...

All in all, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next session....

Right I'm off to wash off all the evil salt and bird poo....:upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Well done Jim... Sounds like a good day..

14. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Nice one, Jim. It's a real nice feeling knowing you're going to be a better rider isn't it? Apparently about 90% of us think we're better than most other riders and it stands to reason we can't all be right. If you only learn one thing (and I'm sure you'll learn a lot more) it's got to be worth it. Well done, mate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    1st proper lesson today?

16. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    ???

17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Hi Jim, I just assumed that as you had your assessment last Saturday, your training would begin in earnest this Saturday?

18. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ahh I see, no, still waiting for them to get in touch to get me booked in Bry.....:frown:

19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    How long is the course once you get started? I start my RoADAR course on June 22 and it's for 6 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    There is no fixed time really, they put you in for 5 observed sessions between your initial and pre test assessments.
    They advise a minimum of 100miles riding between your observer sessions.
    You don't get put up for your test until your pre test assessor says your ready, fail is not an option...
    Good luck with the Roadar bud, keep us posted on how it goes

• Like Like x 1