I Thought Vapor Lock Was An Ancient Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mike Jankovic, Jul 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Jankovic

Mike Jankovic New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    West Chicago, Illinois
    My 03 T100 kept stalling today as if it was not getting fuel. Added gas from Good Samaritan, ran another mile and died. Took me seven stops to get it home. After it sat for 15 to 30 minutes it would start, run fine, start to stumble, and then die. Very hot weather here today, bike was running great until these episodes. Anyone had this happen? 03 T100, 2500 miles, air injection removed.

Thanks
    Very hot and sweaty
    Mike

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You have a fuel flow problem, if your bike has vacuum operated fuel tap system start with vacuum lines off inlet manifold ! Or it is a filter blockage ! Try draining fuel float bowls if nothing else found may be water or dirt in float bowls ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike Jankovic

Mike Jankovic New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    West Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks
    I have a manual petcock and an in-line filter. I’ll start there. Just changed it a month ago. I’ve got a larger one to try. Must be a reason the previous owner installed one.

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    @capt is right ....... If you have water in the tank and its getting into the carbs that will cause the problem I would find a length of hose and drain the tank into a bucket and check for water there too.

It may be worth cleaning out the tank too if there is much dirt in there ( you may need to remove the tap to drain it all out )

If water has gotten into the external filter it will slow down the fuel flow through the filter too.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What about the filler cap on the petrol tank, is the breather hole clear, sounds like you get fuel for a bit when you take the cap off therefore venting the tank but when it’s been running for a bit drawing fuel it creates a vacuum starving it of fuel.

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Yup water is a good possible culprit, and it can happen after one refill ! If you find water in any area of the fuel system it will take careful cleaning to remove it all, once cleaned out a little methylated spirits will help clean out any water that isn't visible , as it is hygroscopic it combines with water and will help any vestigial water to flow through and burn harmlessly !

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Pick up coil or ignition coil sounds most likely culprit. The very fine wires break in the windings and go open circuit when hot. You can usually but not infallibly test the resistance value .....

Pick up coil (small 2 wire multiplug behind LH side cover adjacent battery) about 570 ohms. Main coil under fuel tank at front about 18k ohms between the HT sockets.

8. Mike Jankovic

Mike Jankovic New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    West Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks to all. Looks like a fuel filter issue. Glad I had an add on or carbs would be gorked. Probly got a mess in the tank to deal with. Great winter project I should have done
    You guys are the best

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You'll find many happy to help and most suggestions are helpful or informative. Glad you got it sorted out in reasonable time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1