Thruxton I Hate My New Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Pierre Lawrence, Aug 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pierre Lawrence

Pierre Lawrence New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    London
    I’ve had my 2016 Thruxton R for two weeks now. It has the lowered risers and the rest of the cafe racer kit. The riding position is killing me. Numb fingers, numb thumb, all the weight on the wrists in the stop start traffic in central London. I’ve noticed the bars and controls dipped forward making even more of a lean with even more weight placed on my wrists. This can’t be normal? Has the dealer set the bike up wrong for me (actually they didn’t set the bike up at all). Why is that? Are the standard risers any better? Sorry to the many questions. Newbie Triumph rider here

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It’s all personal preference bud, get a standard bar kit and you’ll probably feel way better.
    I went the other way on my S high to low and it felt perfectly fine for me.

Horses for courses, try a Standard R and see if it feels okay

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Pierre, did you not test ride the bike before you bought it? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pierre Lawrence

Aug 12, 2019
    London

Thanks and yeah I’m not happy. Spend £9.5k on a bike and I so want to love it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pierre Lawrence

Aug 12, 2019
    London
    Yeah I did. It was a quick ride on lots of short twisty fast roads and I loved it. It wasn’t however the stop start stop of central London traffic

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pierre Lawrence

Aug 12, 2019
    London
    I’m deffo gonna try the standard risers

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Defiantly the std clip ons that came with the bike are better for those of us with older backs and wrists. Just so that you know, the cafe fairing kit comes with the lower clip ons. So that when dealer installs it they take off the higher ones and either give them to you or just put it aside. Like others say, the std ones Will fit with the fairing. You, they, just have to slightly tweak the brembo reservoir bracket so that it clears the fairing on full right lock. Fairly easily done.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Does the cafe racer have the fairing?, I thought that was the track racer, anyway on the R the flat bars will fit if you do have a fairing you only have to turn the brake reservoir around a bit

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Mine came new with the low clip ons and I do get the numb hand syndrome, but once I get a nice road out of town and I'm engaged in riding the bike it seems to go. I have ridden a Thruxton with the normal bars as a loan bike and noticed a big difference, so you might be ok with them. Can't see a Thruxton ever being that great in city conditions though.
    I always end up doing some fine adjustments myself though and I think I've angled the levers down a bit on every bike I've ever owned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pierre Lawerence.
    Seems you spent a hell of a lot of money on a whim. If you test a bike test it properly. But I suppose that's not important now you have the bike. Yes you can only play around with accessories till its right. Or take it to a race tuner and tell them what you want. Or trade the thing and swallow your pride. Better to get something more suited than end up having an accident on something you don't feel safe on. OH and welcome to the family by the way.
    Regards
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I have just purchased a 2016 Thruxton 900 not the R and I did find the M style bars a bit too low for my liking so without spoiling the looks I got some inch bar risers from square deals cheap at £35 and it makes all the difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Get a cheap little 125 dirt bike for the city and use the Thruxton for proper riding roads, after all with all the scooter hi jack gangs going around the city you don’t want them to grab the Triumph.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fredrik Käll

Fredrik Käll Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Sweden
    I have the standard bars and even though it is not ”perfect” in the city it is a great improvment over the low ones.

I test rode a demo with the low ones and never ever that I will change from the standards.
    Change and then I am convinced you will love the bike.
    Fred

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'd consider three options, trade it for T120/Speed Twin/or one of the Scramblers or get it customized and sell the cafe racer kit. Give Down & Out a call 01709 821600 maybe?

One of theirs:
    [​IMG]

Or work on your core strength and simply remove the cafe racer kit.:)

Hope you find a way to keep it.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Lanerider

Lanerider Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2019
    west yorks
    street scrambler comfy on any road .. try one

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    I would also advise to one of the last two options: Customizing or the DIY method.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sorry to hear you are not happy. The Thrux R was defo not designed for stop start London traffic. Any riding below 30 mph becomes a rear chore. 40 plus helps, with wind pressure helping to take the weight from the wrists.
    You will notice a difference with different bars, but methinks you have purchased the wrong bike for your needs :weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    I test rode a standard R with the high clipons, but I ordered the R with track racer kit that came with low clipons, tried it for a week or so and like you couldn't get on with it, so I installed the standard higher clipons back on and its much better, they fit perfectly well with the nose fairing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sullivs

Sullivs Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Weldon Spring, Missouri, USA
    I had a Ducati 916 that was a straight-up torture rack at anything but real aggressive riding. I sold it and purchased a Street Cup, and it felt the same way. Then I put some bars and risers from a Street Twin on it, and WOW! Night and day difference.

So don’t give up on such a nice ride. As everyone mentioned, it doesn’t take much of a tweak to change the comfort level. You just have to find that unique tweak for you. Might be the bars, or seat-to-footpeg distance, or something else. Keep at it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2