I fancy a 70's Commando

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Bonzo, Apr 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Anybody care to offer any tips on which are the 'better' years and ones to avoid?

Oh and anyone know of a 1 owner minter for a couple of grand :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Me too. I have fond memories of going from Leeds to Blackpool and back in the late 60's on a pals 850 Commando Interstate. What an awesome machine that was.

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You'll be lucky to get anything for a couple of grand.
    The Commandos are very collectible and fetching good money. £5k -£10k+

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Better years ? All of them. A minter for a couple of grand ? Likely to get killed in the stampede !

5. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    A couple of grand was a bit tongue in cheek to be honest ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I know you're trick Bonzo! ;)
    You're hoping for a retired biker who has had his Commando from new reading your post and saying:
    "Here lad, I've just been waiting for someone like you to give this beautiful mint condition Commando to,
    Now I want you to look after it lad, it's never been out in't rain, just give us £50, it owes me nowt now"
    Dream on mate, it ain't gonna happen! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Sshh Mick, don't give the game away ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    From researching potential purchase myself it's reckoned that many (not all though) of the ills were sorted out by the time of the launch of the MKIII in 1975. If I could afford it I'd buy one of the Colorado Norton Works bikes. Classic bike all modernised. True, aficionados would scoff, but riding an icon with decent electrics, brakes etc that looks 'proper' would suit me nicely.
    http://coloradonortonworks.com/

• Like Like x 1
  9. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I used to have a 1976 850 electric start roadster.
    The electric start was a none entity, it was a slog to start it anytime, and it was fantastic, I loved every journey on it.
    Once went to Portmadoc and onto Black Rock Sands drifting it around in the sand, great fun, it was a super bike, looked and sounded fantastic with the pea shooter exhausts.
    Get one, you'll love it!

Curly

• Like Like x 4
  10. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    It wouldn't bother me that aficionados scoffed - that's their problem (no doubt a fair few old boys don't 'get' the new Triumphs), but those gorgeous Colorado's are a pie in the sky dream for me unless my Lottery numbers match one weekend.

Cheers for the link though.

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I was just wondering, are the commando's you fancy are 70 years old or just dressed in an army uniform from circa 1973!!!! :confused:

:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Damn it, they're on to me!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    There must still be a fraternity of bikers that meet up at Black Rock Sands and in the surrounding area to race their bikes in the early hours of the morning.
    Anybody who doesn't like or appreciate bikes would have hated the noise and disruption to their sleep and holiday, I loved it and was trying to guess the bike types and gauge the speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I didn't now that!
    We went to Portmadoc for years and years for our annual 1 week holiday as kids but never made it to the beach until afternoons.
    It was just a laugh when I did it, don't think I'll be doing it on my Newchurch though, just the smell of the salt air will have it corroding in front of my very eyes, won't it?

Curly

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Bloody hell, that's a nice inheritance for somebody and good for the Norton enthusiasts, it would be interesting to see any updates on the other bikes and gear he had squirreled away.

17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You've got to know where the 'quicksands' are as well, I've seen a few vehicles get stuck and have to be towed out. I think it's £2.50 to take your car onto the beach, wouldn't like to guess what it cost to have it towed off plus the cost of a soiled pair of undies.

18. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
  19. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    go for the 750..I had several commando's,the first was a 71 combat then a new 73 interstate,once the 750s had gone past 10000 mls the main bearings would have already been changed to superblends..problem solved..if you get one change the exhaust ring nuts to those from a MK2A that will stop the threads from chattering out the only other problem to watch for is the bearing in the gearbox,easily spotted cos the kickstart will run downwards when revved ..I used to run the Norton owners club west sussex:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    And........make sure your knees are upto kick starting, mine couldn't handle it on a Commando now!

Curly

• Like Like x 1