I Didn’t Get On With The Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hoffnungslos, Apr 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hoffnungslos

Hoffnungslos Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Good evening rats,

October last year saw me buy a Street Scrambler, stunning looking bike. I was on crutches after an op so no test ride (stupidly with hindsight which is a hint for what’s coming)
    Three weeks ago I handed it back to the dealer with haste, hated it. The bike sounds good, looks amazing from a metre away and the ride quality isn’t bad but the power, or the sheer lack of it, was extremely frustrating, to me the 900cc engine is there for the stats and selling point only. I wonder if itl be the same next year with the 1200cc...I actually have a fair few issues with it tbh but I don’t want to warble on

Handed it back and lost some coinage, put a bit down for a Street rs 765, feels like Iv been waiting a long time, you know the feeling. I was wondering, what are the bikes that disappointed you lot? Have you ever had one that you just didn’t get on with?

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    78D25092-3750-4D82-B5D8-0313FA8AD13B.jpeg Good evening and welcome to the forum. I bought a Yamaha MT09 new in 2014 had a test ride and loved it, sadly the actual bike I bought was very different and I couldn’t get on with it at all. The engine was a peach and the bike was very light so it went like a rocket but the handling was sh!te. I tried to sort it but I wasnt prepared to throw about a grand at it so eventually traded it for the Speed Triple I have now. Best thing I did. Good luck with the 765.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    #3 Hoffnungslos, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Thanks fella, that’s a lovely bike too isn’t it! Glad your happier with the speed though. I did test ride a MT10 and 09 but found the throttle a little snatchy for town riding, but I can see why folks love them.
    Handling on the street scrambler is good, nice and relaxed and with a flyscreen the wind isn’t too bad but damn, riding it feels like a bike running at 50% if you know what I mean.

Can’t wait for the street, although I then saw the new speed 1050..damn! Make sure you get your bum on one of those!

DDB47190-721E-4054-A90F-C7E836D11CA2.jpeg

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I had a scrambler for the day last year while mine was serviced so I know what you mean about the weedy power. Snatchy throttle was just one of the issues with the Yamaha, looks good tho, eh? Thing is with the new speedie is it’s just not “different” enough to justify the (much)extra I’d have to put to get one. Park one next to mine and from 50 feet away you’d never tell em apart.

• Like Like x 2
  5. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    You're not alone. I had a street scrambler as a loaner for a week. Hated it, so gutless. And I had just come off a 600 which was hardly grunty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    That’s the thing you need to consider tho eh, few grand more for at times not much at all. Some bikes have changed dramatically over the years whilst others seem to be as good as they can get them

7. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Other issues for me was the wide bars, filtering was a mission whilst the weight, jeez, it’s a heavy bike.
    I know this is picky too but damn the stock fuel caps are annoying as hell.
    A motorcycle I felt completely duped by, lesson learned though so there’s always a plus side

8. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Sorry to hear about the unhappy scrambler owners. I recently bought a used one, 2006 model. So far, so good for me. It is, after all a retro bike. I don't think Triumph designed it to be a fire breathing monster. There are plenty of those available elsewhere.

I was surprised at the power, or lack of, for a 900. But, since I'm older now and don't need the excessive power and speed I did years ago. I just mainly just putter about locally and mine is very well suited for this!

and in the states, the only test ride I have ever been on was when I made a private purchase from an individual. Dealers never offered one. I understand this is changing now, a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but My uptake on this whole retro craze is mainly about reliving the past!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Hi fella, great to see you love it, I think they are stunning to look at (especially the new street scrambler) and as you say for a chill out ride around they are perfect. My issue was it’s, over here anyway, being advertised as this off-road capable fun machine and it’s just not.
    Interesting question for you fella, how does your bike stand up to the corrosion? I had the street scrambler treated by the brilliant all year biker at the dealership and it still showed signs of slight rusting after a few weeks. So cleaned and dried to then have another anti-corrosion supplier treat the bike and again rusting. Mainly on the spokes, they were bad for it. Hopefully yours will be better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, just illustrates how we all have different views on the same bike... good job too or all bikes would be like most boring cars these days... i’ve had a new Street Scrambler for nearly a month and absolutely love it !.. I traded an 865 Bonneville Newchurch and I think the difference is very noticeable both power wise and has much better gear ratios... on the Bonnie I was forever wanting an extra higher gear. Ride wise, handling and overall performance is perfect for me... but it’s not been off road and I am quite old and relaxed in my riding so quite happy pottering along. Interestingly when I did test rides I tried a T120 and really didn’t like it at all... I thought the big engine not at all good in traffic or low speeds and found myself forever changing gear...at higher speeds I thought it had lost the Bonnie feel and I felt I was back on the big Harley I had a couple of years back.. too much torque for me and prefer the 900 motor. Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    The street scrambler is just that, a Street scrambler! It is not a dirt bike by any stretch of the imagination. Too heavy for that. I do think it is a fun bike and is a Street, with a capital Street, Scrambler. Lordy I would hate to be in any type of off road competition on this bike. For me, It is very suitable for gravel or unpaved roads, anything else would require a competitive bike!

Again, just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nickhall

Nickhall Active Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Bedford
    I've had a street scrambler since June 17, done nearly 4500 miles and it just keeps getting better (or maybe that's just my riding). I find it perfect for blatting around country B roads and lanes, its very agile and the shocks soak up gnarly roads. As far as performance goes its never going to keep up with a sports bike but hey if you give it the beans it gets up to 70 - 80mph pretty quick, which on the types of road I like is fast enough for me. I find the engine is sweet and responsive, heaps of easy to use torque which for me makes it a joy to ride and I don't consider myself a "potterer". Add to that some fun handling characteristics and you have a great bike that is always a simple pleasure to ride.

Horses for courses I guess but me it's a great all rounder.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Hi, I bought a 2014 MT09. Fantastic looking bike, great power unit, absolutely shite fueling / snatch on throttle, bordering on dangerous! Suspension though was woeful. But as I have said before you pays your money, what do you expect for under 7K? So bought. Thruxton R. Expensive, but I think worth it, handling brilliant

• Like Like x 3
  14. Whoosher

Whoosher New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Bexhill on sea
    Just brought mine waiting for derlivery not to worried about speed just love the look when parked at local cafe

• Like Like x 5
  15. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Don’t get me wrong, it will no doubt be the best looking bike il have ever owned. Hope Youl love it when it comes, just change the mirrors. I thought mine was a cracker to look at, just not the bike for me with the riding I do

DCFBE9E5-5D53-4BAE-A329-A504D209C063.jpeg

16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ive has a few bikes that didn’t ride to my expectations, Ducati st4, touring bike?? Like fook! Orrible round town in fact it was down right terrible, Harley nightster 1200, that was another lemon, bought new but shall we say the demo bike was secretly modified and got lured into it......

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Urgh your kidding, that’s a sly tactic!
    The triumph dealer here in Aberdeen is brilliant, can’t fault them in any way at all. Sadly the salesman retired last month after being there 32 years but the rest of the guys are all pretty good lads. Can say that they have my trust.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    While cosmetically they are not very different,You need to ride the 2018 RS it's very different. Ride modes and electronics in general are much improved. The cruise control is a useful addition if you intend to do longer rides or take it abroad. The motor spins up faster, max torque is delivered lower in the range, it's generally more responsive with quicker turn in. It jumps off roundabouts and turns in 3 gear /sport mode. TC of this parish traded in his 2017 Speedy for the RS and is staggered by the difference, as am I after coming off a 2011 model. And I didn't think the 2016 model was enough of a step up from my 2011Speedy
    T

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hoffnungslos

Apr 12, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Thankfully last week my Street RS arrived. Needless to say...I was delighted.
    The bike is just the perfect weight and power, coming from the underpowered heavy scrambler this is just something else!

1F03D8FA-DE17-44D6-96CE-567B40ABD4D3.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Wait until it's run in and you can stick it race mode and rev its nuts off! Deep joy! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1