I Despair Over Spares.. Anyone Know A Secret Stash?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by MartyWilson, Aug 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Evening all! I am awaiting the delivery of a 2001 Bonnie that I plan to put semi-knobblies on and try out as a mild off-roader on my local forestry tracks, nothing too adventurous. From photos from the seller, it seems that the Green/Silver tank and mudguards have only a few light scratches that may well polish out, I would quite like to get a battered but serviceable tank and mudguards for her and either keep the decent stuff as spares for my other 2001 Bonnie or re-spray them as a 'change of clothes'. Problem is I have found very little on ebay, Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace and the prices and quality are too high for what I want. Is there a secret breakers somewhere where Bonnie's go after they get bent or worn out or are there simply not that many that have become bent or worn out?

2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Thanks for that one @Don the Don I had come across them before when looking for Sprint parts but, unfortunately they don't seem to have a suitable tank etc. at the moment for my Bonnie. It is worrying that they don't include prices and so you have to enquire about every single thing.

On another point, I was just researching to see where you can get 'consumable' parts if you need to rebuild engines etc. Casting an unskilled eye around the internet I can't find anyone stocking things like pattern gasket sets and even Fowlers (I think it was them) don't list a top end gasket set for the 790cc Bonnie. Anyone know if such things are available or are you essentially screwed if your engine needs rebuilt? Triumph really didn't take a leaf out of the Jap manufacturers book when it comes to spares did they? You would think they would actually want to make their modern classics to survive and become the all time 'Classic' Triumphs wouldn't you? That, of course would mean keeping spares etc. available to allow them to keep on running!

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    They’ve not turned into the ‘tinkering bike’ yet as I think, most are still owned by the ‘clean brigade’ and therefore stuff isn’t in demand Unlike like bolt on shite for them like Tec stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    For new stuff I tend to use World of Triumph....or maybe Fowler's.
    Staffordshire Triumph I've found particularly helpful.
    Triumphant carry a decent amount of s/h stuff.
    Triumph Hinckley parts are near me if there's anything you'd like me to take a look at on your behalf.
    Not a huge range of stuff and it's a one man show so yes he does need to rummage around and price each item individually.

6. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hi @Alatamoc At the moment, apart from looking for a battered old 790 Bonnie tank and mudguards on the cheap to outfit my 'scrambler', it's really a fact finding mission so that should I need something I already have an idea where to find it. I do miss the sense of security I had in the past with Jap bikes where you could walk into the dealers tell them what the bikes was, no matter how old, and they'd bung the relevant fiche into the machine ID the part and order it for you. OK some of the parts might cost a fortune and you may have had to wait for them to come from Japan or even be manufactured but you knew that you would never be stuck.

I don't know if it's true or not but I seem to recall someone 'back in the day' telling me that, if you wanted a part and they didn't actually have it in stock someone back in Japan would dig out the necessary tooling and make it.

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The cynic in me says the problem is more price than availability! The very popularity of the Bonneville (you have succumbed too) is what drives prices. Mudguards can be universal items but for the tank you maybe want to ring around breakers. They are unlikely to advertise a badly dinged tank destined for the crusher if it is beyond profitable repair.

• Useful Useful x 1