Hymec Hydraulic Clutch Review

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Ridebjj, Sep 19, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ridebjj

Ridebjj Member

Aug 4, 2021
    The hot hot desert
    #1 Ridebjj, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    I've had my 2011 speed triple for a few months now.

One of my biggest gripes with it is the OEM clutch action. It's quite a "manly" effort, and definitely one of the stiffest actions I've ever had on a bike. Combined with a perpetually injured middle finger joint, and 2 finger clutch pulls became uplesant quickly. Feedback during low speed slip maneuvers was only OK, imo.

Last week during an unrelated search, I stumbled across the magura website and their hymec clutch replacement. Amazingly, they offered a prefab kit specifically for the 2011+ Gen S3. Even more amazingly, I was able to find the exact kit for sale on Amazon for only $215.

At that price, and with the option to just return it if I wasn't happy, it seemed a no brainer.

It showed up this morning and after a reasonably straight forward install, I took it out for a shake down ride.

I must say, for the price this is one of the best mods I can imagine. Lever effort is significantly reduced. Magura claims a reduction in pull effort of up to 25%. It feels at least that much easier, possibly more. Feedback is excellent and the action has gone from 1930s tractor to bordering on refined. Two finger pulls are no longer a painful affair on my shit joints.

I did a search on this on other forums and Ive only run across a few posts that even mention this kit, and afaict, none of them were from people who've done it. Only as responses to posters asking if there are any possible hydraulic options out there.

The only unknown is long term durability. I guess time will tell on that one.

Also, install required a bit of diy electrical jiggery pokery for hooking up the clutch-in ignition kill switch. It's not plug and play with the included connector, which I assume is made for one of the other models of bike this same kit fits on.

I give this mod 4.5 out of 5 erections.

[​IMG]

0918211749.jpg

0918211749a.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Interesting mod.
    Well found and thanks!

3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Ingenious hacking/modding.

Thanks for sharing your hard work.

4. Ridebjj

Ridebjj Member

Aug 4, 2021
    The hot hot desert
    I did a longer ride today, about 50 miles with a lot of gear changes on everything from local neighborhood roads, to freeways to curvy back roads.

Definitely loving it like this. Being able to just rest 2 fingers on the lever and pull it in with almost no effort is very nice. With the cable, after a while my injured finger would start to complain and I'd have to grab with all 4 digits.

• Like Like x 1