Featured Hurricane Are There Any Still About

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Easy Tiger, Jan 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Here’s a photo I took at the 1979 TT a Triumph Hurricane 750 triple. I was wondering if there are any still around, how much would they be worth.

C47A8693-E3CF-40F5-B977-E679173D27E2.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    There are a few around - but they have to be treated with caution as the limited production run meant that a lot of "parts bin specials" and conversion copies have since found their way on to the market.

They ALWAYS fetch very good prices! I doubt you'd get even a basket case for less than £12k.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/cat/15/41/hurricane/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Are you sure? I thought he had (amongst others) a TSX Bonneville?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This was at a pub bike meet in 2018 - no idea if its a "real" one. :cool:

h.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The TSX paint job is not too dissimilar .... but not the same. :D

Despite being (originally) an American designed product, the Hurricane had its brake and gear levers on the correct side! :p

As for territorial marking - bet Darkman's products don't do that. Nor does my Mk. 1 Rocket 3, or, rather, it didn't when I last rode it a few years ago! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    IMG_20180612_120605.jpg
    Here's one I spotted at Steel City Classics in June 2018, don't know the price, it's not there now.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

There a couple on Uk eBay,if anyone’s interested.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 5
  9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Great engines if they are looked after, Su had the US rocket three up until a couple of years ago :) pix4.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    lovely looking bikes, actually badge engineered bsa rocket threes with styling by craig vetter. one of these was on my most wanted bikes list, always have been.

triumph-trx-75-hurricane.jpg

Triumph-X75-Hurricane-1-1480x833.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    No I did have the rocket 3 71 model once. And the t160 74 I think but didn't like either they were fast or slow bikes not great handlers either and bloody expensive.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    I had a '74 T150v in the 80's/90's. It handled well but was a bit of a guzzler, and it had no drips. :D

• Like Like x 4
  13. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Dozers dad, they don't leak
    they just ooze character ;);)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Have you lot forgotten what real biking was all about...how do you think we knew they had oil in them....mind you have built a few completely oil tight brit engines.
    My T160 only leaks from the primary because somebody bodged the chain tensioner....Hurricanes where just a T160 with a tarty body kit bad brakes and a different exhaust...dont know why they are so pricey...mine has a tarty body kit why cant i sell it for 20+k.:(:p:p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Oil leak ..... schmoil leak! Who cares - especially when they look as good as they do?

The Hurricane is a stunning looking bike - and I'm not usually "into" American'ised styling (sorry TD, et al. - nothing personal .... besides personal preference, if you see what I mean? :)). But the X-75 long predated the T160 - it was a Mk. 1 Rocket 3 that Craig Vetter took and "Americanised". The body kit was all seamless, swoopy, flowing lines; peanut fuel tank; raked and lengthened forks and the signature exhaust silencer set-up. Oh my - that exhaust! Very much more than the sum of its parts - in its day even the colour scheme was outrageous!

IMHO, a significant part of the premium price tag is the fact that very few were factory produced; they were, contemperaneously, fairly unpopular in conservative Little England and the raked, extended forks did little to aid the handling of a tall, heavy machine. So, exclusive design; low production numbers; compromised survivability (WHAT?) and drop-dead, gorgeous looks all add up to a constantly climbing price tag for this machine. It could easily be argued that your bike has all the same properties and many similarities (though I'm NOT trying to imply that your bike's handling is in any way compromised!) and so SHOULD be worth a price tag north of 20 grand - and it may well be - but your name isn't Craig Vetter ....................... :D

TBH., I can't ever remember a time when X-75's were cheap, or, even, cheaper than their 'standard' counterparts! The only saving grace about the price is that it's unlikely you would lose money by buying now and selling on in a few years time - assuming that the bike isn't trashed, thrashed or bashed!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The original Vetter bike :)

bsa 750 1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    With a couple of his "WINDJAMMER" fairings behind it! The man was as styling genius with an eye for form AND function.

Edit :- where was that picture taken, Darkman, and is the display recent/current?

• Like Like x 1
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    It's just a pic i picked up along the way sorry, i prefer the orig as the tank n seat sat lower and it had the earlier hubs n brakes.

bsa 750 2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Oooohh ...... I'll come up with something even more laudatory for that, DD! :)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. stevie28

stevie28 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Cambridgeshire
    One turned up at our buxton dirttrack meeting a few years ago.
    May have been local to the area....