Hunting For A Bike - Moon On A Stick??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyb57, Feb 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I'm still on the lookout for another bike having made a bit more space in my garage/her wardrobe annex.

Having spent months trying to find a half decent affordable 'classic' bike I've changed tack a bit. I now think I should go for an 80/90s naked, 500/600cc maybe up to 750, in reasonable condition but not already worked over and tarted up. Budget is around £1500, MoT would be nice, but a reasonable service regime is a definite. Can be single, twin, triple, whatever, just don't want a lardy heap of poo, needs to be fun to ride. If it puts a smile on my face when I open the garage great, but beauty is only skin deep. I thought I was on to the perfect bike this weekend but seller of a Hinckley 750 Trident has had second thoughts for the mo' :confused:.

So am I being unrealistic? Or do you reckon that in spite of the classic market having gone ape I should still be able to find what I'm now looking for? And if so, any recommendations about where to search - which FB forums, any alternatives to Gumtree, Preloved? All suggestions welcome - I think.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Have you tried autotrader for bikes?

3. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Not recently, found it's mostly dealers with later bikes. will have a dekko

• Like Like x 1
  4. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Try gumtree, but know what your buying

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Unless you were to luck in to something being sold cheap by a disgruntled ex-wife ( I'm sure youve heard the Merc/Jag/Bentley for £50 stories) I'd say that for your budget you could get a really excellent 90s CB500, Kawasaki GPZ500 or Aprilia Pegaso. All good usable machines which are easy to look after and lots of fun to ride.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks for the suggestions

7. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    I agree with your comments about the state of the classic market. I'm in the same boat, looking for a classic, preferably, Triumph with an age commensurate with my youth.
    Some of the prices quoted for an unseen 'exhibition' standard machine, (sellers words not mine) were not far short of a brand new Street Twin, (another bike I wouldn't mind).
    I want a bike that I can enjoy, ride on good days and maybe tinker a bit with to improve its looks. Some of the nails I've seen for £3-4K were ready for rebuilds and had dubious histories.

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 2