Featured How To Waste Some Time.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, May 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    After a disaster of a thread in another area regarding boredom, I thought maybe I can let you all know how to get over it.
    Go to the garage put on some good loud music, pull the cover of the Bonneville, take of all the easy removable parts you can to facilitate cleaning, then clean and polish everything also using a touch black paint here and there, Put it all back together cleaning first.
    Then go to the fridge, crack open a beer, then stand back and just savour your hard work and wonder what else can be done to make her look even better, I did that and after about 30mins it came to me what I could do to achieve absolute perfection.!!!! A gold chain, it has to be done.
    Now all of this may sound boring to you, but I love it.
    When all of this has been carried out, you can the come in and write a thread just like I have done.
    Sorry I really haven't gone mad, I hope.
    Im sure all will be ok again when we can all get out and enjoy the rides and meetings. Roll on the day.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Malcolm,,,You say “Sorry I really haven’t gone mad, I hope” well if not yet your nearly there so welcome to the club :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Edit black is the best colour

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Guilty of this already, bits taken off the Bonneville and Tiger for cleaning and some black touch up paint applied to the pannier rails. :cool:

Bored now.

However, the CX500 has arrived back home after its holiday in a barn near Salisbury. I now have an actual project to work on! :grinning::grinning:

• Like Like x 10
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Think it’s time to ride now and bollox to it!! We’ve waited long enough

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Tell me more about your CX500 please, I have a 1980 A which I am treating to selective surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    CX 500 nice, that will keep you busy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Funny you should say that because I was thinking of buying one from Clarkes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It's a 1982 model, which was taken off the road in 1996 and then bought in 2016. Unfortunately, the guy decided to turn it into a rat bike and made a spectacularly bad job of it. This is how I bought it in 2018.
    20170717_191836-1.jpg
    DSC_0357.JPG
    DSC_0355.JPG
    Some time later
    20180416_192529.jpg
    20180628_190828.jpg
    I did have it running last year but the stator failed quite quickly and it took ages to have it fixed. Then it sprung a water leak! That's where we are now!

• Like Like x 12
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    It’s about time you got that water leak fixed,,,there’s enough on here with water leaks :eek::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Looks stunning @steve lovatt ..... Hope you can easily get the water leak fixed..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Well that certainly wasn't a waist of time, you've turned her into a little beauty.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Is it the common water pump seal problem Mr Lovatt

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Looking very nice Steve, Is it the mechanical seal causing the leak or maybe the o ring on the chrome transfer pipe? You can repair that without engine removal, but I would take the rear cover off and replace the camshaft oil seal at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm afraid it is :(

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah I think I will have to - the O ring is new but it is actually the mechanical seal that is leaking so back cover off! :D

17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #17 Wire-Wheels, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Yesterday the wife and I ignored the stay at home order. We climbed into our crewcab pickup and drove the 42 miles it takes to get to our vacation home, which is only 17.5 air miles away. We have kept that place stocked with food, supplies, medications, etc. just in case we would need to evacuate our main home. Turned out to be the other way round. Picked up all the food that was nearing being out of date. Also all the spare prescription meds. I will use the old stuff up first. Also picked up some small tools I needed to do some small repairs here. Lastly got a 12 pack of TP [bog rolls to you Brits]. Spent the day in the sun and came home happy. :) …J.D.

• Like Like x 12
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Glad you had a good day and avoided any government interest.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Steve I’ve got to say this and it’s bugged me for ages light blue and tan orange clash!! If you took a black and white photo of it the camera won’t justify the difference as balanced colours. One needs to be a lot darker than the other to work and complement each other.
    No doubt I’ll get some stick on here from the colour blind folk!!

20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    You already told me this at the GMU in Llanidloes! Have you forgotten? You even demonstrated the black and white contrast with a picture on my phone. :D
    I chose the main colour but the seat arrived like that after my mate had it recovered for me so I didn't get to choose that colour.
    I'll just by happy when it's running again and not pissing water over my boots! :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 3