How To Restore An Old Windshield?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Jan 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    After several years of searching I've finally found an original screen for my Honda RVF400 NC35. It's nearly 30 years old so is hazy with lots of very fine scratches. I've googled about how to revive it and found a hundred suggestions, some of which are ridiculous. One American bloke covers his with various types of sticky tape, rips them off and thinks that it's an improvement..I can't see any difference.
    So I want to know if anyone has successfully restored a knackered and hazy screen, what you used and was it 'as good as new'? Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Generally a flat with 1500 wet n dry and a damp foam polish head at around 1500rpm which is slow with 3m fast-cut a will improve anything but won’t take out ‘yellowing’ as that usually is bleached through if you can live with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Crack??

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    It hasn't gone yellow, just hazy. I think it'll polish up and there are a couple of useful suggestions here, so thanks.
    By the way, I have an aftermarket replacement screen fitted atm but I wanted an original. It even has the Japanese 'warning' label fitted (not sure what it's warning about).
    My NC35 is wearing an aftermarket TYGA fairing (from Thailand..very good quality) after I badly damaged the original up on the Cat'n'Fiddle several years ago, when I threw the bike down the road and into a drystone wall. It has taken over 5 years to gather replacement genuine panels. The only parts missing were the screen and an uncut undertray (people chopped the tail off to make it easier to fit our large British numberplate). Only the undertray to go now. If anyone has one....:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Beerkat
    I have in the past gone over mirrors with 3m finishing polish to reasonable finish lots of buffing though. The other option is paint it to match the bike.
    Regards
    Joe.

8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Not sure about painting the screen Joe, it would be a bit tricky to see through it! I'm trying to get the bike back to original condition so painting a very rare screen would defeat the object, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Whatever method you use it would be nice to see some before and after pictures mate :)
    Could be very useful for others :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    If it doesn't slip my mind, as things often do nowadays, I shall take a few snaps when I get started.

• Like Like x 2
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Beerkat
    Yes I suppose you might need to see where you are going. Drat. Try some Glass companies they sometimes do quite a good polishing job. The one thing I will say is don't use a mop as if it heats the screen up it will distort and go a stupid colour. I know this as I did it a few years ago.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I'll be practising on an old helmet visor first.

• Like Like x 1