How To Clean A Tft Digital Display Screen

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Sandi T, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Does anyone have advice for an effective and safe way to clean TFT screens? I may have missed a thread on this but can't seem to find a good answer. I got home from a ride today on my 2019 Speed Triple RS, pulled into the garage, and noticed smudges and a tiny blob of something (ugh) on the screen which were particularly noticeable due to the light coming in from behind me. I tried searching on this forum and also just doing a general internet search. I haven't found much and the recommendations I have found are contradictory.

Relatedly, has anyone used a screen protector? I'd prefer to not try to install one bubble free (yeah, right) but I'm open to hearing what others think. Thanks!

2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I got a kit from R&G. Easy to fit if you follow the instructions and there is a spare film if you mess it up. Can’t see it’s on there now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I used a company called speedo angels for my protector, bought on the day I picked my bike up, easily found on eBay.
    They're really good and yes I got mine on bubble free :blush:

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    As long as you don’t use an abrasive cleaner you’ll be fine. If the blob is stubborn to clean off, then try some gue gone or tar and bug remover. Also, make sure you use a new or clean microfibre cloth when cleaning it, as you don’t want the debris to scratch the TFT screen. After it’s clean use a car wax or sealant on the screen to protect against road grime. When I coated my paint with a ceramic clear coat, I also put it on the screen to protect it as well, which is a more permanent option. So as you can see, there are lots of options. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Mr Sheen, clean cloth.

6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Window & glass cleaner (liquid not cream) sprayed on to a duster (not directly on the screen), I've worked in IT for over 30 years and that is how I clean pc/tv screens, laptops and tablets. Much better than computer screen wipes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    I used speedo angel's' via ebay, they go on ok (no bubbles). What I have found is the top layer has flaked off over time, its still transparent and protects.

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I use soft cotton wipes, soak in water, ring out till dry , then lightly spray cloth surface with isopropyl alcohol. Wipe screen until clean. Then use soft cotton wipes to rub fully dry/clean. I use this method on my 55 inch led Tv or laptop screens

• Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I just wash and clean it along with the rest of the bike and use a Stihl petrol leaf blower to dry it.
    Seems to work ok.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    More people need to use a leaf blower after washing. I rarely have to wash my bike, but if I do it’s always followed with the blower.

11. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    One of the best things I've ever had bought for me, that and my paddock stand.
    Also great after applying acf50 blowing it in to more places than usual. Bloody marvellous.

IMG-20190320-WA0004.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Now that’s a blower!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice on cleaning and protecting my Speedy's TFT screen. Much appreciated! I'm going out to the garage to clean my screen right now. I will most likely get a Speedo Angel screen protector for it too. I was also pleased to see that Speedo Angel carries a screen protector that will fit my Harley Road Glide Special. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Good point, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that.