How squared off is knackerd?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by SpankyHam, Aug 20, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Bit of a rookie question really. I'm getting to the point of needing a new rear tyre on the daytona, its squared off a bit but I’m not sure how squared off is knackered and how much just needs a good scrubbing off on the twisties.

Probably got a couple of inches in the centre that’s relatively flat? Will try to get a pic up later

Do you guys replace them straight away when they start to do this or just crack on for a bit?

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Personally ive never squared off a tyre on a sports bike as i never did a lot of boring motorway miles & i use to ride them like i stole them, but i have purchased many second hand bikes over the years with a slightly squared off tyre.

My personal theory on this is.... If the handling gets scarey when you fall off the edge of the squared section of the tyre then its best to change it. However, if you have already squared your tyre off then thats because you dont go over enough (due to high motorway mileage or you ride like a BIG GIRL) so chances are you wont fall off the edge of the squared section so you may as well continue with your tyre until the tread becomes illegal in depth.

3. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    No motorway miles its definitely because I ride like a big girl. I haven't noticed a massive difference in the handling but as I said, I ride like a big girl.

I do use the bike for commuting quite a lot so not a huge amount of chance to bank it over while threading through traffic etc

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Use it till its at the wear bars in the tread unless you think the handling is getting a bit scary. Find some corners and get your money's worth out of the outside of the tyre :smile:

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Get down to The Nags on it on Thursday and I'll give you the benefit of about 4 million years of riding! :smile:

6. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I hope there is no twisties between Spankys house & The Nags because he cant do corners! View attachment 1765

7. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Think there's about 200 yards!

• Like Like x 1
  8. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Just as long as its a straight 200 yards or the boy is fucked! View attachment 1767

9. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    There is a slight right hander but if he gets frightened he can stop just before the bend, phone me and we can all go up and walk either side of him untill he's back on the straight. Hope this helps. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    He might just be better off walking the bike up the pub..... just saying x :biggrin:

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    What about the slight bend??? On his own??? Are you a 'Devil-may-care' type of chap? Where's your sense of propriety?

12. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    If he walks it at a really slow pace & prepares himself & the bike for the slight bend then he shouldnt run too wide & bin it.

13. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    That's just madness!

14. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I did hear the furthest Spanky has had his bike over is when its on the side stand.... Just saying :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    It wasn't too bad - luckily it landed on a big pebble!

• Like Like x 1
  16. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    There's a fair few corners to the nags at least 7 or 8 I think it might b a bit advanced for me!!

17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Take the back wheel off and get a taxi (tacsi?)

• Like Like x 1
  18. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I take a paddock stand, it's a bit scary on the side stand

......Fuckers

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    It's fine until you can see canvas ;)

Mine often get a bit squared off. Yeah, motorway mileage and your average commute will do that. I had to wait an extra week until I could get mine delivered and fitted, by that time I was down to canvas and very very happy to have some new round rubber on the old girl. She drops into corners very happily now! :)

• Like Like x 2