How Robust Are The Late Model Clutches.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by covid-21, Jul 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I have a 2016 Street Twin, and I intend to sharpen up my low speed tight turning technique. So I'll be practicing riding with the clutch in the friction zone doing figures 8's etc, and I am wondering if this sort of usage is going to cause premature wear, or is this within normal operating stress?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Should be fine as long as you keep the revs down, preferably idle or just above. Remember the back brake is your friend when doing tight turns like you will be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It'll be fine. Do what my instructor on the advanced course said when practicing tight turns " rev the nuts off it if it helps, you wont do any harm" :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    That is useful to know. thanks.

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Much better if you don't use the clutch !! I was taught , use the back brake !!! It contributes to stability in the turn ! Engine and brake both acting together "lock" the wheels rotation and therefore the back wheel can't "run out from under you" this is the most common cause of low speed falls during sharp lock turns ! Having the clutch disengaged slightly allows extra movement in both directions or slower than the engine 'or' faster than the engine (rear wheel run away!) And a fall ensues ... Try it first at higher speeds and bigger circles , work your way down to tight slow turns in increments :);):):yum

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Oh and a tip to really get you there.

No clutch, a little bit of throttle , brake (rear only) to hold you up ! Lots and lots of opposite lean bike down too the right and you climb way off to the left For right turns , opposite for opposite (left) ;):)
    Done this at a Police sponsored rider safety training day. With practice you can (I've seen Police Bike Traffic Officer do it) stop mid turn and balance , of course you need to pull the clutch/disengage then release/engage to go again, the brake control required is massive !!

cheers capt

7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    This takes me back to my test in '82 and the slow riding bit where the examiner walked along side you and you had to match his pace. I'd been told previously by a mate that slipping the clutch would fail the test and I kept overtaking the examiner with the clutch out in first gear at idle speed. When he saw the problem his response was "slip the clutch FFS"! There's no right or wrong way IMO. Do whatever you're comfortable with and good at, the clutch will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    yes I just ride through the back brake for tight u turns

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Combination of friction zone and back brake dancing together. Practice for five minutes or so then stop and give the whole bike (and you) a chance to cool off.