How On Earth

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Jun 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    So done my first tour this weekend

Also rode in torrential rain, I mean proper rain not a shower

How on earth do you see, rain on visor, misting inside, oncoming headlamps dazzle on the visors rain drops, friggin terrifying

Got a finger squeegee, helped for one second, opened up visor at critical point, now got rain on the inside

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Had the same problem last night while out bloodbiking, frigging rain drips down the inside of the visor on my hjc

• Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Mr Sheen is great. Polish your visor with it and the rain beads up and runs off easily.
    As for fogging up, I just crack the visor open slightly. Have never got on very well with Pinlocks. I had some success with a Foggy mask insert but find them a bit claustrophobic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    As already mentioned, Pinlock system works really well to stop inside steaming up, explanation below;

The inner part of the Pinlock is lined with a silicon bead, which creates a double glazed window type of effect when the Pinlock visor insert is attached to the helmet visor. The pocket of air that is trapped in between the visors acts as an insulator for the inside temperatures in the motorcycle helmet.

For the outside, try a spray like that in link below, this is a coating that allows quicker dispersion of the rain from your visor, just turn your head to the side every few secs & the water flies off.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo...MI9ervt-_g4gIVbrXtCh3DQQ3BEAQYBCABEgLfMfD_BwE

• Like Like x 5
  5. Phot

Phot New Member

May 9, 2019
    Hampshire
    As previously mentioned, there are some helpful ideas, but its just not fun. Certainly seeing where you are going is a priority, then there are a host of other problems which go towards making riding in foul conditions unpleasant. We motorcyclists are vulnerable at the best of times, but I feel quite relieved to get to my destination in foul weather.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I use RainX on the outside of the visor
    Pinlock system on the inside but cleaned and treated with RainX AntiFog
    Vents open on the helmet and so long as you are moving there is airflow keeping things fresh
    I also have the wind jammer round the base of the helmet
    My jacket also has the storm gusset at the front to deflect rain from the neck
    I too rode in the downpoor yesterday and while car drivers had their wipers going full speed I was overtaking them with good visibility and completely dry (Michelin road 5 tyres are fantastic when dealing with surface water)
    Good kit and treating it right really is a life saver.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I used to get water dripping down the inside of the visor, I used to just close the visor but realised it needs pressing closed to form a seal with the rubber strip accros the top
    So now an extra push to close it and now no more water on the inside
    Also a very light coating of red rubber grease on the rubber strip helps keep it supple

This is on my Shark Spartan helmet, may be different with other helmets of course

8. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks chaps, got a pinlock, didn't have vents open as rain driving in, given the extreme circumstances I’m not sure I could do owt more. On any other day I would have found hotel and stayed

Half a dozen single car accidents on A3M from Portsmouth, muppets not taking conditions into account, Fiesta hit central reservation on opposite carriageway bumper came our side missed my nephew by 40 feet, not fun, mind you he warmed up briefly when he shit himself

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Not a lot of fun riding in shite conditions mate, came back from Germany in heavy storms & high winds a few years back, 8 hours back to Calais, then no ferries sailing for 3 hrs due to sea conditions, nowhere to get out of the weather deep joy!
    We then had a 'bumpy' crossing back to Dover & a 2.5 journey back to Southampton in the pissing rain!
    Always sailed from Portsmouth after that trip!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Pull your neck tube/scarf over your nose.Stops your breath fogging.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Or washing-up liquid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I find that, as someone mentioned above, a light smear of washing up liquid/soap helps. You have to wipe it off and re-apply fairly frequently though. It won't help much if you already have a pinlock fitted though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Just checking the date, no it’s not April 1st

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Added advantage I can inhale the aroma of chippy wipps

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Olde Hairy Tadger! o_O

Nickname?

16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Do 150 mph and turn your head.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Most bikes, screens and visors have a uv or other similar coating. Many years ago a used Rain X on the screen of a BMW R bike and after a few days the coating on the screen started to craze and eventually pealed off. Car windshields ok but not on a bike or visor

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    If I ever got my fat arse to 150 mph on a Street Twin I’d have ridden off a cliff

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Absolutely.

Speaking of which,-;

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  20. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014