How Many Times Must I Remove These Carbs?!?!?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by livelarg, Nov 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. livelarg

livelarg New Member

Nov 2, 2019
    OKlahom aCity
    Howdy all!

I just got my first Bonnie! an 08' with carbs.
    So excited! I also have a 99' Triple and an 11' Tiger, Just sold my 10' Thunderbird.

The bike hasn't run in a could of years, and had to get a stock set of carbs.

Here is my issue.
    The bike starts and runs, but only with the choke on, no matter how long I let it warm up, it dies immediately when I push in the choke.
    I have cleaned the carbs, soaked and cleaned the jets, shot compressed air through them. they are definitely not clogged.
    It stats beautifully, and idles fantastic. But as soon as I push in the choke, it still dies instantly. It doesn't sputter and die, it just turns off. It acts as though pushing in the choke cuts the ignition or something.

Any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kent

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Sounds like a vacuum leak between carb and head. I would also highly recommend ethanol free gas, it's available at quik trip here in KS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sounds like the air ways for the pilot jets are blocked...but if they are CV carbs the slide membranes could be brittle and leaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. livelarg

livelarg New Member

Nov 2, 2019
    OKlahom aCity
    Old Phart,
    Thanks for the reply, I just checked for vaccum leaks, using starter fluid, I did find that h left side intake was a little loose, i tightned it, still dies when choke is turned off.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. livelarg

livelarg New Member

Nov 2, 2019
    OKlahom aCity
    Tricky-Dicky,
    I have only messed with the float bowl side of the carbs, I have not taken apart the tops.
    They are the stock cv carbs, what do you suggest.

The pilot jets have been cleaned and are definitely not blocked.

thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My working suspicion is blocked idle circuit galleries. The choke is an enrichment device not a true choke. On the engine side of the carb there are a couple of small apertures. One is the pilot jet that mostly works off idle to about 3000 rpm (overlapping with the main jet at the upper end). The other small hole is the idle circuit. Blast it backwards with carb cleaner. It is likely gummed with old fuel residue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    OU may want to check what callumity said, it might be blocked by a purple wildcat hair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Livelarg
    Welcome to the family. Do drop us some pictures of the steeds. It quietens the inmates here whilst nursey administers the meds.
    Your carbs if you can find ethanol free petrol use it. Check for leaks around the set up rubbers carbs even exhaust. Make sure your air filter is good. Failing that send the carbs for sonic cleaning because you can clean and clean and still not clear every thing. What we need now is for you to hit the upload a file bottom right and send those photos.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Try adding some fuel system cleaner to the petrol (gas) and running the engine for a while to let it work its' magic. Redex, Snow Foam and Lucas have all been mentioned in the past. I use Redex in my Trident and have only had a similar problem (hesitation, popping, banging and farting when setting off - the bike as well!!) when I forgot to use it when I laid the bike up for winter a few years ago. Even if it doesn't work it will do no harm, cost very little and requires hardly any work or effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. livelarg

livelarg New Member

Nov 2, 2019
    OKlahom aCity
    WOOHOO! Im on the road!

I took carb apart and checked every port again, blew them out. Put it back together, and away it went!

Thanks for all your help. Nothing better than a bunch or riders working together!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kent

• Like Like x 8
  11. livelarg

livelarg New Member

Nov 2, 2019
    OKlahom aCity
    WOOHOO! Im on the road!

I took carb apart and checked every port again, blew them out. Put it back together, and away it went!

Thanks for all your help. Nothing better than a bunch or riders working together!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kent

• Like Like x 2
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Well there you go......

:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Livearg
    See you are happy you had to say it twice. Glad you sorted the beast. Now go for it get some fuel through there to keep it running and free.
    Regards
    Joe.