How Good Is The ''self Learning Ecu''??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MattBobberBlack, Feb 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattBobberBlack

MattBobberBlack New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi all! I am the proud owner of a new bobber black that I'm collecting next week, my dealer has asked me if id like an x pipe fitted to release a little more noise out of the exhaust. Now I am interested as ive heard the vance and hines and am not convinced they are worth the money but I am interested in the decat. What id like to know is how good is this ''Self learning ECU'' I keep hearing about, the dealer has assured me I will not need a remap. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hilltop motorcycles are the go to people for everything Ecu related to Triumph, I would direct the question to them either by phone or via pm on here. The member is known as Hilltop, funnily enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Don't think it is exactly self learning, more like it accepts the changes you have made by feckin about with it!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MattBobberBlack

Feb 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Haha yeah that’s what I was guessing, I’m used to using power commanders and stuff like that as I’m coming from a track day back ground. But never heard of an ecu that adapts itself

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MattBobberBlack

Feb 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks very much, I’ll drop him a message

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MattBobberBlack

Feb 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ideal thanks, that eBay add has some good info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BurgerBobber

BurgerBobber Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Houston Texas
    Asking a tuner if you need a tune , kinda like asking a chiropractor if you need an adjustment...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    ECUs are only self learning and adjusting IF wide band lambda sensors are fitted as std otherwise depending on the ECU itself most will learn short term fuel and timing trim but as i understand it the Triumph ECUs only use narrow band lambda feedback like most cars pre 2010 and apparently its only used up to a very low RPM/load so very little use for any adaptation to changing an exhaust...
    however if the std map is setup on the rich side after the ECU is off lambda feedback most exhausts will not weaken the mixture very much anyway (unless its a race designed exhaust) so should be OK but there may be a small advantage in adjusting the map.

• Like Like x 1