How Common Are Solid Goodwood Green Bonnies?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by MartyWilson, Jul 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hi all,

I am looking at a 2005 Bonnie 790cc in 'Goodwood Green' that I think is really tasty and I need it to match my Shark Spartan Priona Helmet honest :p. This is the first one I have seen for sale in a couple of months of monitoring the internet and so I was wondering just how rare these are. I would have thought, having been in the range for both 2005 and 2006 there would be a few more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Post a pic as I’ve not ever seen one with probably other members

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#3 MartyWilson, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2020
    This is the bike in question. The black side casings are not original and have been recently painted. Otherwise the bike is a 7000 miler in original condition with little in the way of add-ons although I think, but I could be wrong, that the hood on the headlamp isn't factory. I know it's not for everybody and, for some reason, Green seems to not be a popular colour although I have always really had a passion for it, along with Purple and Blue and I do have a strange liking for Yellow as long as it is on the Lemony to slightly green end of the spectrum. Never could get excited about Red, Orange, white or black, with apologies to the vast numbers of folks who adore their black Bonnies.

Goodwoodgreentrump.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Emerald green, by the looks. Marvelous, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Was actually just looking for workshop manuals on ebay and it turns out that the 'Goodwood Green' model graces the front of the Haynes manual for 01-05 Bonnevilles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Colour really suits the bike

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    That's a nice looking bike mate

• Like Like x 1
  8. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

It is a very handsome bike and I was absolutely dead certain I wanted it and it alone but I have now been thrown a curve ball and been asked if I would like to give a new home to an immaculate '01 plate in green and silver with union jacks. Waiting on pics being sent to me but, if it's what I am thinking it is it is a real beauty.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

What do y'all think of this one? I think my head has been turned This is a 2001 so definitely a Brit and, despite the fact that I may irritate the local Snazi's I just love the flag artwork.

UnionBonnie1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That’s also nice and they hold values very well

11. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Well the seller of both bikes sent me a video of the Union Jack one and it looks almost spotless although the engine casings might benefit from a polishing. It has 7397 miles on the clock and sounds very sweet with loads of paperwork including original receipt. Money has changed hands and I am looking forward to the bike making it's way to my grubby little mitts some time this coming week.

Jeez I have gone from owning one rather tired but low mileage Triumph Sprint RS to owning two Triumph Sprint RS's and two Bonneville's in the space of one week. I had intended to buy a brand new Triumph (Either Thruxton, Speed Twin or T120) but, after visiting the showroom and finding that the Thruxton felt too cramped for my monstrous frame, The Speed twin just not 'moving' me and no T120 to examine I decided, with advice from some of the splendid folks on this here forum, to buy an immaculate, low miles 2014 T100 in white and gold followed by a fairly low mileage, fairly tidy, MOT failure (blown fork seal and crack in rear disc) Triumph Sprint RS in Strontium Yellow (I think) and now this immaculate Green and silver (with Union Jacks) model. I set out to find a green one and ended up with a Green one and one of the originals built in the UK no less! I am a very 'Triumphant' Triumph fan!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Wow, An eventful week and much to keep you occupied for quite some time. So you left the 'Goodwood Green' model for another worthy buyer?

• Like Like x 2
  13. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I did although the wife tried to make me buy both .... What a woman!!!!
    Next problem is that I really need to get a shed or shelter of some sort built for them as I can't fit all four of them into the house :)

As far as I understand, when I first contacted them about the Goodwood green one, there was a fellow due to come and look at her today wanting to trade in a BMW (I believe these are referred to as 'Ditchpumps' in these parts?) against it. To be honest, while I loved the plain green one too (because I love green), by comparison with the one I've bought she was a bit of a 'Plain Jane' and they only have the V5 for it and no history, I notice also that the 2001 model has both Speedo and Rev counter where the '05 model only has a speedo.

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your Union Flag bike looks well loved but maybe not 100% original. The silencers don’t look like Triumph items and the lack of T100 logos on the sidecover suggests the Tachometer is an add on......but no worse for that. I would have wanted close up of fork chrome and rims. Everything else will polish but, heck, enjoy!

15. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

@Callumity The video they sent me featured close up's on the forks, wheels etc. and all look very clean. I don't believe these bikes were 'T100's although I could be wrong. On the Triumphtwinpower website these have their specs listed under 'Bonneville' rather than 'T100' and the pics that accompany the specs, although small to try and look at, don't appear to display T100 on the side panels and no the exhaust are not originals. They are after market 'rorty' ones. Even the '05 Goodwood Green one doesn't have T100 on the side panels and neither does the example used on the cover of the relevant Haynes manual.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Ooh. Having a wife that is also an enthusiast, is a double edge sword. I met a fellow at an Italian Bike meet in early '90's that just bought No. 40 in the collection. He really didn't think it was too great (Ducati Diana) but wife was smitten and demanded to ride it home.... to the poor house, he said. He was riding a very sweet green frame '74 Super Sport Ducati, which I guess now fetches stratospheric prices.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    That's absolutely gorgeous Marty. :heart_eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Congratulations, the union flag bike looks and sounds fantastic :cool: Enjoy! :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

You know I believe I was 'led' to this bike by the God of Triumph.
    I had seen a bike like this on ebay at the start of my quest although I'm not sure it was the same one as I thought it had a cluster of small union jacks on either side of the tank rather than one big one, but, as it was a private sale with no delivery option or warranty etc. and I don't have the luxury of being able to go off looking at bikes many miles from home, I had to pass it by.

Starting to get 'antsy' and with nothing that was 'just right' coming up I persuaded myself that I wouldn't mind an immaculate Blue and white with red pinstripe one that was up for sale. Phoned up and it had just gone.

Looking around for an alternative I came across the Goodwood Green one for sale that I hadn't seen before that point despite having been religiously monitoring ebay, Autotrader, MCN and Gumtree. Phoned on the off-chance an hour or so after the close of 'business hours' and the owner just happened to be on the premises. He was almost out the door when I called. Discussed it with him and had a chat about Triumphs in general. Decided it was the one for me and he told me that they would phone me on Saturday to sort out all the details and send me a video of the bike.

They phoned on Saturday and asked if I might like a bike that they were collecting that day as the Goodwood one only had it's logbook and a standard exhaust (I had mentioned that I would rather a noisier one) while this other bike had a 'rorty' one and loads of history with it. I asked what it looked like and he said - 'It's green and it's got Union jacks on the tank'.

'Sold says I!!!!' See the God of Triumph worked out a way for me to have the bike I really wanted and not just the one that would be 'close'. All Bonnie's are beautiful but Green Ones are Godly!

• Like Like x 2