How Can I Get Rid Of Heavy Smell From Old Fuel In Air Filter Housing

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Loke, Sep 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Loke

Loke New Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Sweden
    Hi,

My Bonneville T100 year 2003 has been standing for almost two years - I will never let that happen again, but it had its reasons - unfortunately with modern fuel only and no additions to keep the fuel ok over time. When trying to start it, the fuel flooded all over. After cleaning the carbs from the brown muddy stinking sticking roles of old fuel stopping the flow to the carbs, I thought the problem would be gone. And now the bike starts but the smell is still there. I then found out that I had both petrol and pieces of this sticky stuff also in the housing for the air filter and the filter was all wet with fuel. I cannot have the bike in my garage because of the heavy smell, as I am using this room also for other purposes. Any idea how to get rid of the smell, that seem to have stuck to the plastic housing? What can you use to clean it? Or might I even have to replace it?

As I also use the garage room for other purposes, same way as all true man caves I guess, I would also like to know of any tips to minimize fuel smell onwards. Maybe I need to let her run dry after closing the fuel tap each time? Or are there other ways?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Warm the room and ventilate. No magic tip I know..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Loke

Loke New Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Sweden
    OK thank you for replying. I have tried that for about a week now, still heavy smell. Any idea how long this will take?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Wash your beard with old spice.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Assuming that you have washed and hosed the bike with bike cleaner.

I recon about two weeks for residual. That's about how long it took the jeans that I sprayed with petrol to stop smelling (don't ask!), one day the fuel smell will suddenly just stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Carb cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Loke

Loke New Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Sweden
    Thanks for the tip! I also got one about using brake cleaner from the local bike workshop. I think either or should do the trick!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Loke
    Welcome to the family. Dump the air filter it's had it and will take for ever and a day to stop smelling. Take the air box and wash thoroughly with warm water and high concentration of lemon juice. Also flush the air filter hoses and around the area with the same and it should improve dramatically. And yes carb and brake fluid will it.
    Joe.