How About This For A New Model?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bronco Billy, Apr 9, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy New Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Southwest Ohio, USA
    The last Triumph I owned was a 1968 TR6, low miles, like new, bought in 1969. I have watched and waited the last few years but the new ones have a few features that put me off, so I want to let Triumph know they could sell a million bikes in America with just a few changes.
    Picture this- A bike with most components taken from the T120 (or T100) built up on a Speed Master soft tail frame. Using the rear fender setup from the Speed Master, the forks of the T100 (extended a couple inches with gaitors instead of plastic doodads for guards) and a more extended fork geometry of about a 30 degree rake and a bit more trail.
    Here in the US there are back roads and state highways that don't even have curves for miles. Then you encounter fast sweepers, some of them slightly banked. The nimble, racy geometry of virtually all Triumphs is over-kill for many riders here. If a person wants to build a cafe racer there are plenty of existing models to work with. Straight line stability and slightly slower handling have advantages on long rides.
    Back to the new bike, the dual instruments of the T120 (with cruise control) would be ideal.
    The handlebars from the T120 would also be fine, but a beach bar setup, all one piece from the triple tree up to a swept back drag bar with a 6" rise above the tree would look great and be comfortable with the standard mid position pegs and controls.
    This would leave the riders knees bent a lot, so a higher seat placement (possibly a sprung saddle mounted a bit high and forward) would work well. The rear pillion could be an optional item, but a clean luggage rack (without a sissy bar or too many rails on the sides) could be standard.
    The front wheel should be a 19" wire wheel with polished aluminum or chrome steel rims. Fat 16" fronts were never a Triumph tradition, to my knowledge. The headlight would be taken from the Bobber, that little round light is perfect for it.
    A single disc would be sufficient and keep costs down.
    To cut costs a bit more forget the ABS (unless marketing says everyone has to have it) and a 2 into 1 system with an inline cat in an oversize muffler would make elimination of it simple.
    I would buy this bike if it was available, and so would a lot of older bikers that don't race but often raise a little dust out there.
    I like the less pushed in look up front, mid pos pegs, sprung seats and dual instruments, but that soft tail frame is really great.
    I post this here in hopes that Triumph marketing department might see it.
    To sum up- An 865 or 1200 CC engine, Speed Master frame with a 30 degree rake, simple forks with gaitors, 19" front wheel, T120 tank, clocks, bars and cruise control, Bobber headlight, mid controls, sprung seat and a simple approach to electronics if possible. Call it "the Bonnie" since it is one sexy girl.

Would any of you grab one of these? It would take a huge share of the American cruiser market. Love your bikes, keep up the good work!
    Bronco Billy

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I'd rather have a TR6, built to modern day tolerances, no FI, no Abs, no stupid electronic Nanny "safety features" that leave you stranded if they get dirty. Just an air/oil cooled hinkley carb engine in a classic frame with modern suspension and a decent TLS front brake. Though I'm not American.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy New Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Southwest Ohio, USA
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I think that's a very specific bike for a very specific location and audience so unfortunately for you would probably be a self build. Don't forget to start a thread if you do it ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy New Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Southwest Ohio, USA
    I'm too old and lazy to buy a $14,000 bike and saw the neck off.
    I just thought they might sell some bikes that didn't look like they were stuffed into a wall. I guess not.

I found out what I wanted to know, thanks y'all.
    .over and out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The Thunderbird Storm 1600/1700 isn't a bad option for what you're describing (I think) although I could have completely the wrong end of the stick. Just a shame they had to stop making them because of tighter and tighter emissions legislation :confused:

CCC3C4E1-4E98-4295-8C3D-A7AE42043BC8.jpeg

8. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy New Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Southwest Ohio, USA
    Yeah, that's pretty close.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    No such thing as Over and Out.

It’s either OVER, meaning you are awaiting a reply, or Out, meaning end of transmission.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I can see why they stopped making them. No use for anywhere that isn’t just straight boring roads really.
    Probably ok for American roads but not much good anywhere with twisty, winding roads.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Have to disagree with you there bud, it will happily get through twisties albeit not like a sports bike and with a few ground pegs but it's plenty manoeuvrable and very well balanced ;)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Agree with Helmut Visor there, never had a problem with the handling on my T-Bird 1600 and I live in rural Ireland, where the still loose chip back roads. Only thing is it grounds out too quick on tight bends, but if you remove the useless nipples from the footrests and keep your heel high on the peg it corners fine.

• Agree Agree x 1