Hot Start Advice

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ian Cousins, Oct 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ian Cousins

Ian Cousins New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Wales
    So it seems my bike has developed a bit of a hot start problem.
    A quick bit of digging and there seems to be a few issues and ways to tackle them.

My bike is a 10 plate Speed Triple, the hot start has only just developed. I've tested the battery it's serviceable and rated 90% so not perfect but loads of life left.
    Tested the regulator and it came up faulty, over charge.
    So it fits with the fault of start problem.

Is it worth getting a genuine Regulator or is there a better after market one available and is it worth trying to reposition the regulator for better cooling?

Sorry if a bit long,

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Not sure why the regulator would cause a hot start issue. if the regulator is damaged it would cause the battery to overcharge.
    can you elaborate anymore on the hot start issue please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    I agree, regulator shouldn't give start problems. Check starter switch and all wiring, including routing. Is there any burning smell immediately after switching off by the grip. Sounds to me like a wiring problem and would start there. Like all us home grown tinkerers, quick search on google may also give suggestions. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ian Cousins

Ian Cousins New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Wales
    OK, it will start from cold. Strong cranking and fires smoothly. After a run of 30mins or so I can stop and be off the bike for a while upto an hour. When I try to start it seems as if the battery is flat, a jump start and it will go. But the same problem again if not left to go cold.
    Doesn't effect the performance in anyway when running, just starting from hot.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    sounds like a relay in the starter circuit could be breaking down when the bike is hot,

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    A mate has a street triple 675 and his did similar, in the end it was the starter solenoid to blame ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Heat is the enemy of 'wiggly amps' as dilligaf would say . a hot starter motor or starter relay will draw more current . heat causes great resistance in copper wire ! And any heavy copper components . if you can easily access the starter motor and relay , pour cold water over them just prior to a "hot" "start" , this was a common fix on 1975/1982 Ford Falcons in Australia !!! I had a 1979 Falcon and had to do this regularly at petrol stations on hot (38°+ days) it works ! Just give it 30 seconds to cool enough , couple of splashes of cool/cold water !!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    If this were a car engine it would often point to a crank or camshaft sensor so if a new starter solenoid dont cure it look at sensors on engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Starting with a jump start points to heat in the starter motor or relay ! More amps available to defeat the heat induced resistance ! If it was pickups or such it wouldn't start until cold

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I have the same problem with my 2011 speed triple. The 1st time it happened, I'd called at petrol station on way home from work, about 20 min ride. Thought battery was flat, and phoned brother in law to come jump start me. Happened a couple of times since. I started calling for petrol on way to work, as its only 2 mins from my house, and because mi bikes not hot, it starts perfectly. It happened again Monday. Had to call on way home, I was expecting it not to start, and it dint let me down. Pushed it off forecourt, and waited 10 mins, and fired up no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    95% of all ECU controlled hot start problems are ECU coolant temp sensor related. the default is to run start fueling rich which is fine for cold engines but make hot starts very hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    At the risk of sounding thick, I don't understand what you mean, Tricky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Most ECU controlled motors that have liquid cooling and have auto fuel enrichment for cold start have a heat sensor in the coolant system which tells the ECU if the motor/coolant is hot or cold so can auto adjust the fueling to suit IE auto choke if this fails it causes the ECU to run the fueling as if its cold full time which in turn causes hard starting.....however this is also combined with a idle air bypass system and on some bikes this is all that's used so dosent apply to all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Yeah, ok, but its like the battery is flat whilst the engine is still hot. When it cools, after 10 mins or so, the battery is back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Time to get the meter out and start checking al the electrical wiring starting at the battery and working backwards. Also check reg/rec initially too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    If that's the case then i would suggest getting a new battery first as the 10 min cooling/waiting period is allowing the battery to recover enough charge to start.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Smoke

The Smoke New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    London
    Hi. I have the same problem, same symptoms anyway. Also a 2010. I replaced the battery and still have the problem. What next please?! Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ron Prichard

Ron Prichard New Member

Apr 21, 2020
    New Zealand
    I also have this problem in my 2009 it appears relatively common. Triumph hopefully know what causes it and have a fix? Is it possible to access their service department?

The comment that the battery may be recovering is unlikely. My bike exhibits symptom of a ftat battery then at home, about one mile later, the battery reads 13v. An auto electrician tested the battery and it's good. The problem is more frequent now but has occurred with the last three batteries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had this during the English summers on my Speed Triple 2010
    I changed the battery to a Motobatt and installed an Electrix regulator
    I think that fixed the problem but wasn't long after I was knocked off and it was an insurance write off so don't know if it was a long term solution

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I also installed a voltmeter tucked in the front screen above the clocks so I can always see what is going through the battery

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1