Home Security Camera/s Cheap Options (read Chinese)?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tricky-Dicky, Jan 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Anyone using these been looking for the above but getting bogged down with myriad of cameras on eBay, I am looking for preferably a PTZ with tracking and good night vision but guess i could get away with just tracking, not sure if i should go with a an IP or wired as most IP need a power supply anyway...so can anyone suggest a cheap option i dont have the cash to put in a dedicated system, the last security cameras i used where wired from around 2000 so hopefully they have improved somewhat my cheap Chinese car cam gives very good video.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks DD will have a look...thinking of just one camera for a start as its mainly to catch a neighbor who is damaging a trellis on to p of the boundary fence longs story....but i have seen cameras with human tracking that start recording and send an alert which would be useful....but also need good night vision but no lighting just IR.

I thought about wireless IP but they still need a power supply so then started thinking about a wired system so could either record to a PC or NAS or even a HDD recorder and then add more cams if i want but the cheaper the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Another question if you dont mind DD thought it might be prudent to get a two or four camera wired system but want to know if i should go POE or normal wired...it seems that some POE require a power lead and some run off the Ethernet cable this would be preferable but what i want to know is can the POE cameras be used with a current home network via switches which are all in place but i dont know if they require there own separate feed to the recorder.....and lastly is there a minimum megapixel for good vision/night-vision?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Anyone know of a cheap motion activated infrared still battery with long life, camera?

Sorry if it is a thread hijack just say.

5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #5 Tricky-Dicky, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    I presume you mean a camera that will ether take a still of a motion/alarm event or allow you to save a frame? most software will allow you to pic and save a frame and a lot will save a still of a motion event.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

It has to be battery.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    60 mins in ire 16 sco 9
    Scotland are winning.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I thought the wild life one, would have had an on/ off for the flash.

10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Theres images in the reviews, doesnt mean they are true, but there they are.

12. I have owned several wildlife cameras, featuring PIR, still pics/video, and all with IR. IR normally shows continually as a very low red glow (viewed head on) which makes it vulnerable (had one of mine nicked). You can purchase wildlife cameras with 'covert' IR which means it is totally black no visible light to the naked eye whatsoever so better protected. No flash is visible on either camera types. Have a look at www.scottcountry.co.uk , some of their cameras are pricey but their spec makes interesting reading. One of their wildlife cameras has the memory card located remote (within 50 metres) of the camera, so if camera is detected the card is still hidden. Batteries/power pack lasts 6 months before charge needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Just tripped over this thread...I know its a bit old..

I'm running a Eufy batterydriven wifi cam system, decent price, a somewhat reliable company (Chinese though).
    Good quality both in daylight and dark.

Data is stored on the unit and not in the cloud, but wouldn't say its more secure than a cloud solution.
    As always, setting IOT stuff like this up its recommended to have a separate isolated network.

Pretty happy with the Eufy system, have had if for a bout a year.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks for the reply and info and thanks to this truly great forum and its members https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...rtunity-to-help-a-fellow-biker-in-need.23415/ i got the security cameras sorted.......and i am very glad to say that things have now calmed down and so far no further problems so the cameras have achieved what i couldn't so stress levels have reduced considerably.:D:D

• Like Like x 13
  15. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
  16. IanPoole

IanPoole New Member

Dec 29, 2022
    NY
    Hey there, what's up everyone! Sorry for bumping an old post, but I'm also in the market for a cheap home security camera. I know the struggle of being bogged down by the myriad of options on eBay, especially with all the cheap Chinese options out there.

17. RainaRitch

RainaRitch New Member

Dec 25, 2022
    USA
    #18 RainaRitch, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    I'm also looking for home CCTV cameras. I'm looking for a PTZ camera with good night vision and tracking capabilities. I've heard some IP cameras can run off Ethernet cables, but I'm not sure if they require their own separate feed to the recorder.One thing I do know is that I need a camera that can catch some neighbor who's been damaging a trellis on top of my boundary fence. It's a long story, but I just need one good camera for now. Ideally, it would have human tracking and send alerts, but it's not a dealbreaker.Speaking of home security, my friend in Kyiv recently hired this company called https://ohholding.com.ua/en/ohrana-zhilja. I'm looking for something similar but in the US. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

18. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Well it may be overkill for what you are requiring but if you have a pc available. Have a look at some free software called "Contacam" (that's a clickable link for you search averse) I have no affiliation with it but i have used it with very good results.
    I have used a mixture of webcams, wifi ip cameras and ethernet cabled cameras. All at the same time.
    So basically free software and you can get into the motion capture, remote access, automatic recording etcetera for the price of a cheapo webcam and maybe a usb extension cable.