Hola! Maybe I Will Join You Soon, But Is 50000km Too Much?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by PaulAndre, Aug 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PaulAndre

PaulAndre New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Spain
    Hola from Spain!
    I am looking to buy a bike on a budget. And I came across the wonderful Speed Four.
    Specifically one that seems to be very well preserved. 2006 model. From a dealer. According to the description in perfect condition. 50.000km (31000miles). With one year warranty. Completely original.
    The price would be 2800€ (3354$/2593 Gbp).
    The offer seems pretty good if the bike is in the described condition.

But I am a bit hesitant in regard to the km of the bike. Therefore I would like to ask for some advice from you...
    Is 50000km too much?
    I will use the bike for taking short rides on twisty mountain roads and I will use it for some longer trips to explore the country. I wont use it in the city or for communiting.
    So I assume I will put on some km to the already relatively high amount.

The concerns I have is that I might will get mechanical problems with the bike. And if I should get some mechanical problems with the bike, it will be hard to find spare parts or they will be expensive.

Further I am worried that if I should sell the bike in the future that I will have to sell it at a huge discount. On the one hand due to the high km. And on the other hand because the Speed Four is so unknown it might be hard to find a buyer (while looking for the speed four I see lots of them listed for over half a year, this bike included).

Are my concerns reasonable?
    I would love to hear some advice from experienced folks like you!

Saludos!

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #2 TEZ 217, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Hola amigo :)

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum PA
    If it is a bike that has been well maintained and looked after, it should do another 50k miles quite easily.
    12 months warranty so make sure you cover a good few miles within the warranty period to thoroughly prove it out, I think you should be okay.
    I think it is a little on the expensive side for an 11 year old bike, but if it is as good as they say the decision is yours.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Sounds expensive for the mileage to me but every country has a different price scale.
    Welcome to the forum by the way

6. PaulAndre

PaulAndre New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Spain
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.
    And thanks for the answers concerning the bike.

The price seems to be quite "reasonable" for the market here compared to other offers. Although I agree that it seems quite expensive. Unfortunately I cannot influence the market :D
    It seems that here the price is rather unrelated to the km and more related to the year it was built.
    It is almost impossible to find a good bike around 2500€.
    This is even true for known "budget" bikes like the Suzuki SV650.

Has anyone experiences with high milage on triumph bikes?
    Will it be a problem for them to do up to 100k km?

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    50k km is nothing for the engine so long as the rest of the bike has been looked after. The engines are built to last and they do. 2006 isn't old so long as it's been well maintained - check the service history. If you can let me have the last six numbers of the VIN I can check when it's been serviced by a Triumph dealer if there is no paperwork - but need to pm me know Weds daytime cos I'm then away for 10 days. If it's a Triumph dealer he can look on the Triumph system for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Welcome, Paul.
    My '95 Trident 900 has done 51,000 miles in the 22 years I have owned it (from new). Still runs beautifully and uses hardly any oil and with no reliability problems thus far.:grinning:
    There is a 750 Trident running around locally of the same age and, I believe, similar mileage which is also providing excellent service.
    Feel free to draw your own conclusions:confused: - yes I know the Speed Four is a somewhat different beastie but I would assume that the build quality is similar.
    You pay your money and you take your choice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I was only commenting on mileage and have no idea about values outside the UK. Well maintained engines go on forever. If intending to keep then resale value is not an issue. If the bike looks good I'd offer the dealer 60% of what he's asking and take it from there. Haggle without seeming desperate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PaulAndre

PaulAndre New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Spain
    Thanks again for the good answers!
    Every opinion greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for the offer Rich! At the moment I do not have the possibility to get my hand at the VIN.

I will see what is possible with the price and then I will decide.