Hillwalking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Mar 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

So for a variety of reasons, I've taken up hillwalking. Mate at work, decided before Xmas, that we should have a lads weekend away at Easter and walk up Ben Nevis. Easy enough I thought, so agreed. Then find out at Easter it is not recommended to walk up Ben Nevis unless you are an experienced hillwalker!!! There will definitely be lots of snow and really quite and arduous walk. It's is still full blown winter at 4500ft , even at Easter.

So I've spent my time since Xmas walking up lots of hills around us. Got myself all the proper gear needed, including crampons. And have now reached 100 miles walking up hills already. My fitness levels have skyrocketed, and going from zero, I can do 2 miles up a local 1000ft in just over an hour. :p

Did a big one today up Benyellary (2359 ft) and then onto Merrick (2766 ft), the highest point in D&G. Supposedly you can see Snowdon from the top, on a good day, not today tho. It's the longest sightline in the UK, but I was lucky to see 50 ft today :p 8.5 mile round-trip, never walked that far on the flat, never mind 3000ft total ascent.

Anyone else partake in stupidly walking up big hills until broken? And I definitely am. :D

Video from today -

• Like Like x 11
  2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Your four legged friend looks happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

She loves it, goes mental when I go into utility / dog room and pick up my boots :laughing:

I did 8.5 miles, she did double that ! Had to put her on a leash for 1/2 mile, was walking out on the snow cornice, scaring the crap out of me that she'd go thro:eek:

Currently snoring her head off in her bed in front of the TV. :p

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Been hill walking for something like 20 years, even with some medical conditions I still try and get out with the wife as often as possible though we do a lot more walking along the welsh coast path these days than in the mountains but still do a few walks a year. Done a couple on Monroe's in Scotland as well as walks on skye etc, also Snowdon and cadair idris in wales as well as innumerable walks up all the peaks in the brecon beacons. Done a few walks in the lakes as well including helvelyn and scarfel pike among others in the last few years

I still love it but have to allow more time to complete some walks these days

CI walk 2019 7.jpg

eks pic on helvellyn.jpg

a cat bells 4.jpg

lakes 10.jpg

Snowdon 7.jpg

sv helvelyn 2.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The Merrick!

Fond memories of walking up there years ago in my teens. Decided one day to do all the summits of "the awful hand" which I could see from my bedroom window.... Merrick, Benyellery, Kirriereoch, Tarfessock and Shalloch on Minnoch.

Haggis Hill...I remember being up there one day, picking blaeberries, and a jet fighter went over, so bloody close, I felt the draught I swear, and could smell kerosene. That was a day I should have been at school.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Only ever done this sort of thing once :)
    The three peaks in Yorkshire :eek:
    Just about Feckin killed me :skull:
    Was glad that I managed to finish but if anything it put me off :confused:
    Nah not for me :(
    Too much like hard work :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Can’t get enough Hills me, William Hill, Benny Hill & Grange Hill I don’t like to boast but I’ve done all three

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good on you Mr O, must admit not for me like @dilligaf says far to much like hard work

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Planning on doing Scafell Pike at some point this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Well worth it, but be warned it was like central bus station near the peak!

• Like Like x 1
  11. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

gis’ a shout...

• Like Like x 3
  12. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Done quite a bit in my time, especially the Lakeland fells... prefer mountain biking though.

13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I actually think your four legged friend looks like she's looking for a warm den in which to curl up! :eek::joy:

14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    More power to ya, @MrOrange! Sounds like you are doing great with your fitness levels. :) For me, however, having grown up in Minnesota, this is the last thing that looks like fun. :p I don't now where Snowdon is, but the name certainly seems appropriate! :joy:

image.png

image.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Gentle slope walking", @half ton?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    I live walking and if I can go places to walk on the bike, I have the best if both worlds.
    So, I bought myself a pair of Merlin combat style boot@ and an Alpinestar walking style jacket so I can just hop off the bike, stow my helmet in the topbox and I'm off on foot for a few miles.
    It's the perfect way to spend a day.
    I was also dragged up Snowdon last September by a retired Para. Enjoyed it so much I suggested we do Ben Nevis this year.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    • Like Like x 4
  18. decrepitus

decrepitus Member

Mar 11, 2020
    carmarthen
    i dont do hills anymore as my knees and hips are knackered but ive done the first two sections of the pembrokeshire coast path in november last year. i'll hopefully pick up again, weather and virus permitting

• Like Like x 3
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#19 MrOrange, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2020
    She bloody loves running around a hillside, even in the snow :p
    Running up and down all over the place. It was just the wind that was scaring her a bit. Was a bit worried about the snow, didn't expect that much, but she was absolutely fine.

Checked Orlaugh's (the dug) when got back and all good. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  20. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    well done. I have a pin and a plate in my left leg and hip, have previosuly broken 5 ribs, a shoulder blade, collar bone and one wrist, but have completed all of the pembs path and ceridigion, most of carmarthenshire, and the gower, as well as much of the glamorgan coast and the llyn peninsula.

Love the welsh coast path, was out the last two weekends at bosherton/st govans and strumble head

st govans 2020.jpg

strumble head 1.jpg

• Like Like x 4