Hi From Scotland & Sprint Gt First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Bowf, Aug 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bowf

Bowf New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Scotland
    Hello everyone. I have just bought my first ever Triumph, a blue Sprint GT 1050. It has heated grips, gel seat, ABS and built-in Datatool alarm so seems to be the SE edition.

For the last four years I rode a Honda ST1300 and I wanted something slimmer and less heavy. So far I've only ridden the GT once, that was the homeward journey of 300 miles. Being a sensible old fart, I took things very slowly and carefully on this first ride. So I can't really comment on the power delivery and speed, but my initial thoughts were
    • it looks great
    • the panniers are superb
    • there's no on/off switch for the lights!
    • you have to use your body a lot when steering round tight corners or small roundabouts
    and further on in the journey
    • ouch my bum is sore
    • my left hand is getting sore (heavy clutch even on setting 4)
    • the right mirror is a bit vibey and my right hand is a bit numb.
    The Pan was far comfier but I think I will grow to like the GT. For a start most of my journeys will be a lot shorter and I won't have the side panniers on. I might buy some handlebar risers, any thoughts on these? (I'm 6'0")

I'm now at the stage of getting to know the bike better, you know cleaning it and making it "mine". I wired up an Optimate charging lead. The left-hand seat panel comes off easily but the right-one won't come off unless you loosen all six bolts which hold on the rear grab rail/carrier. I know there's nothing useful under that panel, but it seems a daft arrangement. Slightly annoyed at Mr Triumph, I filed a few mm off the offending lip on the seat panel so it clears the grab rail. It's out of sight anyway, and with touch-up paint you'd never know.

I like to service my bikes myself, but I don't know how easy it will be on the GT? At least there's less plastic to remove than on the Pan! I bought a Triumph service manual and am just about to try and take the front fairings off and see about wiring up my satnav. For just 7 quid I got a wee ram mount ball to put it on.

Oh, who else has a Datatool alarm on their bike with a keyfob? How the heck do you disarm it? Press both buttons together for 10 seconds while standing on one leg or something? It's a pain when I'm working on the bike, it goes off at the slightest thing and seems to rearm itself every five minutes.

I hope my first post doesn't sound too negative, I do have high hopes for this bike and it would be good to know if there are any other owners nearby (east central Scotland).

Kind regards.

DSC00430.JPG

DSC00431.JPG

• Like Like x 11
  2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome Bowf

3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Bowf.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome....

9. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Welcome to the party mate

10. Bowf

Bowf New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Scotland
    Haha, very true!

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcomes.

11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #11 Pegscraper, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Hi and McWelcome to the forum.
    I borrowed a ST for a day a few years back and found it one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden so your GT has quite an act to follow!
    If you find the seat uncomfy on long runs have you though about an AIRHAWK seat? I use one on my Z for long runs and it makes a huge difference. I had a day trip to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, 600+ miles with no anal problems.
    Where abouts in Scotland are you? Some FANTASTIC biking routes up there.

Edit......Forgot to mention the bar risers. I also fitted some to my Z and they do make a difference.

12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

13. Bowf

Bowf New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Scotland
    Cheers Pegscraper, I will investigate the Airhog for longer rides. I'm in West Fife.
    Bar risers are definitely under consideration! There's a pair on eBay with "dummy" fork caps which look quite cool. Maybe someone can recommend a brand?

14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Mine are made by Genmar. These and Helibars are probably the two most well known makes but there are others available.

15. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
  16. Bowf

Bowf New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Scotland
    Thanks guys, just got a used pair of Genmars for £50 on eBay.

• Like Like x 2
  17. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Yes, my bad! Airhawk not Airhog.

19. Bowf

Bowf New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Scotland
    I suspected something like that when a search for Airhog revealed very little! The Datatool manual will be useful, many thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.