Hesitation At Wide Open Throttle

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MMc, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MMc

MMc New Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Hello All -- hoping someone can point me down the right path!

My 2008 carbureted Thruxton (7200 miles) is hesitating at WOT, high rpms (4k to 5.5k). It just stops firing for as long as 1-2 seconds, then it'll surge for a moment and cut out again. When I roll off the throttle, it'll start behaving properly again. This happens most significantly when riding up the canyons right outside Salt Lake City, Utah - elevations range from 1300m to 3000m above sea level (4500 to 10k ft). I do believe the carbs are adjusted properly for around-town riding, in the valley at least (1300m).

Where do I start?? Spark plugs? Or is this clearly mis-adjusted carbs? Fuel economy: 13 km/L=32 mpg.
    I'm a decent shade tree mechanic but carburetors are new (to me!) and a little intimidating. How badly can I screw things up? Sure would rather learn than just shell money out to someone. I've had the bike for ~600 miles / 6 weeks and this problem has been there the whole time.

Appreciate your thoughts.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Fuel consumption seems low unless you are caning it in lower gears - even allowing for US gallons. Yeah they’re smaller!

The Gill electrics in these bikes are the single weak link. The most likely culprit for your problem is maybe not fuel but the pick up coil (crank position sensor OEM spare only) or the main ignition coil - replacement being PVL (sold as Nology in the States). Both have fine windings prone to breaks and going open circuit when hot.....intermittently when starting to die.

With 7200 miles the bike has obviously not had heavy use. Have you cleaned the carbs and the gauzes inline fuel filter adjacent to the T in the fuel line? It could be starvation or crud.

Next time it stutters check the tachometer. If it flickers you have electrical gremlins.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    To add to Callumitys comments if electrical s are eliminated i would kill the engine where the hesitation comes in...preferably with some relatively new plugs...at that elevation it could just be starting to run a little lean when throttle is cranked open.

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I think Tricky is referring to doing a plug chop as in checking the plug colo(u)r ..... although it appears he was distracted typing his post :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    LOL! just a bit what with the pain killers etc but yeah a plug chop at the hesitation point should give some indication if it the altitude that's causing the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Good luck doing a plug chop with lead free and ethanol doped fuel.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #7 Tricky-Dicky, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    I think people learn to differentiate with different shades of carrot.;)

8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    What like 50 shades of grey?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. MMc

MMc New Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Plug chop I can do! It'll take me a little while -- need to order a spark plug socket that will fit in there (recommendations welcomed) ...and review service history to see if they've ever been replaced.

To your point, Callumity, I let her drink only ethanol free petrol.

I have no clue when/if carbs have been cleaned. Crossing my fingers that'll do it. After weeks of chasing an electrical problem on my Chevy Silverado (problem of my own making while installing power windows) I'm not eager to dive back into that world :dizzy:

I'll respond to more of all your thoughts after taking the bike out into the lab for some "tests". Thanks all!

By the way:
    I'm an engineer and I LOVE THE IMPERIAL SYSTEM! ...said no one since 1778 :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The Imperial system is pants as one of my friends would say

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The Imperial system is fine.......or it was a system until it grew. I think the volume difference is down to leaky wooden barrels sailing from Liverpool to Baltimore and what was left when they arrived (that hadn’t been stolen in Liverpool docks!)
    On the engineering side I recommend a slow walk through the Gettysburg Museum. The variations in weaponry and calibre are horrendous. The Confederacy bought anything they could get while the Union was relatively homogeneous. Great to see Whitworth guns!
    We still struggle with our ballistic subs that are metric either end with Yankee Imperial stuff in the middle!

Anyway, modern fuel leaves a much less pronounced brown ring on plugs......kind of nothing or soot! Just like tails pipes no longer have the silvery dust of lead salts!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Of course there is....;):D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Had a similar issue with my carburettor BSA ,turned out to be a badly blocked fuel filter, fuel would trickle through slowly, so ol at low throttle , but not enough at higher throttle openings.
    Cleaned filter, washed out tank....sorted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My thoughts are an aged bike that may have been sat some time with fuel evaporating in the tank, filter and carb bowls
    Turn off the fuel tap, clean/replace fuel filter, drain the float bowls, put a concentrated amount of fuel additive in the tank, Sea Foam for example and let the fuel flow into the carburettors. Run the bike a bit until the fuel additive is in the bowls and let it sit there overnight to clean the system of any old fuel residue

This would hopefully clear the jets and any residue on the float needles/seats

Worth a go for a few bucks

• Like Like x 3
  15. MMc

MMc New Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Thank God almighty! -- The tach is stable when it stumbles.

Guess I'll be cleaning the fuel filters and carbs this weekend. The lazy way sure does sound tempting, Red Thunder.