Sprint Help

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Herbos, Dec 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Having broblems with idling in neutral.the revs rise.once in gear they lower.and the left indicators flash rapidly.could the two problems be related to a earth?

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Herbos,
    We need more information than that to help out with diagnosis or pointers !
    What model age etc, service history if known ! I don't think we can say if the two problems are linked @ this stage, indicators flash too fast if the globe wattages are incorrect or there is a wiring fault ( short to earth ? ) the idle could be affected by 2 or 3 possible faults, model dependent! 1: vacuum leak. 2: electronics idle servo's 3: ECU has picked up a fault and is doing its best to keep everything on an even keel.

Model & age of bike will help ... !

3. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    This is going get complicated. It's a triumph Sprint rs 955i.2001 model.done 19000 miles an every mot certificate the bikes ever had.no service history.no engine management light is lit up.did think air leak me self. Was just bit confused with the idle dropping down when in gear

4. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    I read sumwhere tps

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The TPS can be reset, using a little program called "tuneecu" do a Google. There's plenty of info and help on the website !

I have used this program on my 99/00 sprint st and now my 08 America. There are also engine tune's/maps that may help.

Cheers Mick (capt)

6. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    So if I reset the tps.with tune boy it could solve the problem.possibly.can't afford mechanics always done brakes services me self.

7. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Just never at plug a bike in to a lap top before :(

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    If tuneboy has TPS reset yes, you need to take following precautions.
    1 hook up battery chargers. Bike & Laptop, in case the download/hook up takes too long !
    2 unplug fuse to headlights see above...
    3 if you have a suitable map installed it GPS will reset automatic on restart
    4. And most important, don't touch throttle on first start up tuneboy hooked up and running. Look for GPS reset light up and then switch off !

Should be sorted soon then, look @ tuneecu site. Read and get yourself ready!

9. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
  10. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    The article I read the guy said he took the sensor off and cleaned it.then replaced it.this is a whole new ball game to me.but thanks for the info dude.I 'll order a manual and cable and do sum research. :)

11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Yeah that should work for you, GPS was my tablet. Android doing the usual predictive type setting, we were talking TPS weren't we ?
    Taking the sensor of ?!?! That will require major effort and knowledge on resetting it manually. It is very sensitive to movements when undone and moved !!

12. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    So you can either set it by manual.or reset it through the ecu.both are kind of the same

13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Yes you can set TPS manually, but you require a good volt meter, doing it via ecu using tune boy or tuneecu is a bit easier as you are telling the ECU this is the new start point in throttle position.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Let's see how we go cheers buddy.

15. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Any you guys ever set ecu tune up am little bit confused.it says I need install a map to the software there's more than one map :(

16. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
  17. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Herbos ,

Check the Vin number on your bike, look for the map that your vin number falls within, if more than one is listed choose the one that most closely matches your bike, ie pipe or airbox mods, download that one, open tuneecu and then open the map, connect to your bike, compare maps, installed if it has changes.

Simple really...

Cheers Mick ( capt).

19. Vladthetodge

Vladthetodge Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Silly question.perhaps but do the indicators flash fast all the time or just with clutch pressed? Could indicator be a relay fault? Had that on my doris last year as I've got aftermarket ones fitted.
    Hope you sort her out.

20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Herbos, don't forget to copy the map on your bike onto your stick or laptop so if you need to go back to it it's readily available.

• Like Like x 1