Help With Screeching Noise - '05 Daytona 650

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lynch92, Sep 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lynch92

Lynch92 New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Norfolk, UK
    #1 Lynch92, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    I'm hoping the following link to the video works -
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/13GpjuqFEwoTFiEYA

So this noise presented itself a while back but much quieter and only after being ridden, not at start up. The bike has been sat for some time, and for the last 4 weeks (as I've been away) has been with my local mechanic to have other issues rectified and has been serviced and MOT'd. He has no idea what it could be and has advised me that it could take some time, be relatively costly and financially un-economical to figure out the source.

My first thought was the fan as it sounds like something spinning, but as you can tell from the video it's coming from the rear of the engine and gets quieter as I move my phone towards the front.

Any ideas?
    I'm not much clued up on bikes so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Lynch92

Lynch92 New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Norfolk, UK
    Does anyone have any clue?

I've been told it could be caused by the cam chain tensioner being too tight, but the noise wasn't present when I first purchased the bike, and I haven't nor has anyone else tightened the CCT while it's been in my possession.

Searched the web high and low but cannot find anyone with a similar issue!

3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I had a sprag clutch on an old Daytona doing a strangely similar noise

4. Lynch92

Lynch92 New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Norfolk, UK
    Did you manage to remedy it?

5. Lynch92

Lynch92 New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Norfolk, UK
  6. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I'd look into the drive chain as it slacks when off the power, and then the clutch sprag. Chain easy to check, clutch harder

7. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I replaced the sprag assy, but as said - use the old engineer law. KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid) you would never believe the number of machines replaced when only a fuse required.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lynch92

Lynch92 New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Norfolk, UK
    I've had a look on a few part sites and it would seem the sprag clutch for my bike is no longer available. I've come across this post https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/02-07-s3-daytona-sprint-sprag-clutch-replacement-option.746130/ where they've recommended using an OEM Hayabusa sprag clutch assembly and swapping it over into the old Triumph housing will work. I'm not mechanically sound enough to do this myself. Any idea how much time it might take a reputable mechanic to get the job done?