Help With Decision On Buying 2018 Street Triple R

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by timothy86, Jul 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timothy86

timothy86 New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    brideport ct
    #1 timothy86, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Ok I'm thinking on buy a new triple R but my problem is should it buy it or not . I went to the dealer and there having a sale going on for a new 2018 street triple R matte silver color for $9,450 and with all fee it adds up to $10,800. and i wont get the promo that triumph has going on cause the dealer is put it toward the bike price. So I'm not sure what to do. I have the money and I'm going to pay cash but seeing all that money i feel like i shouldn't buy the bike and keep the money for something better like a down payment on a house or put it in my saving to make it grow. but I really badly want the bike I cant stop thinking about it. The problem is the letting go the money. i tried finding a cheaper bike but a don't want an other bike i want the 2018 triple r. and the other problem is that this will be my first bike ever. i don't want to look for a used bike to learn on it then sell it when i get more experience. so please to tell me to do that first. So can someone help me decide what should i do

2. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    The Street Triple R is currently £9,200 in base form, if you have configured yours to be £10800, surely you may as well go for the RS version which is only £10,200?

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    He's in America dude, his prices are in dollars.
    Timothy, only you can decide what to do with your money but it sounds like you have your heart set on the bike. If you are unsure about spending all of the cash up front why not ask what the finance deals are like from the dealer. If the rates are favourable you could have the bike for a small deposit and put the rest of the cash away to earn interest. Best of luck either way, the street triple R gets great reviews.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The OP is in the US - prices and charges/fees are VERY different over there. They even differ between individual states and dealerships within them so it's difficult for us to make a proper comparison from here.

The differential to the RS is probably similar so your point in principle might well remain valid but I don't think that would be the answer to his original question.

My (personal) advice to Timothy (the OP) would be to first examine and think about your own priorities and think about what your longer term aims are for the money you have. If you really do want to enjoy a motorcycle now, and your circumstances permit it, then make it your decision to buy what you want and not to worry about whether the decision was right or wrong. If you are thinking more long term, then stash the money in the highest interest savings account you can find that allows a reasonably quick withdrawal/closure and worry about a motorcycle later on when your finances are more settled in and for the future.

If you really want the bike now consider looking around for a good low mileage, used example of this, or an earlier model. My experience of the US suggests that there should be plenty of examples on Craig's list for you to check out and, just as it is in the UK, the first owner takes the biggest of hits in depreciation whilst the second owner usually gets a great deal - assuming the bike has been looked after and maintained properly. In your circumstances, as a relatively inexperienced motorcyclist, you'd also get the re-assurance that any incident such as a low speed fall, etc., that might damage the bike isn't going to hit you quite as hard in the pride or the pocket on a used machine as it would on something still showroom fresh!

The Street Triple is, put simply, a fantastic machine - whichever model and variant you get, and whilst not necessarily the BEST choice for a novice rider (it can be brutally quick and with that comes potentially brutal consequences!) it is controllable and forgiving if set up properly.

Remember what Mark Twain said about regret, make your decision carefully and enjoy the fact that you did the right thing for you.

Good luck.

Regards,

Adie

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Its a top bike, like Yoskshireman says, you can buy it with your cash or buy it and keep your cash. Either way, if I were you and so smitten with the bike, I would try to buy it.

6. Triple1

Triple1 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Not Wales
    Deep down he knows what he wants to do. He just wants confirmation that it's the right thing to do. Unfortunately only he can make this decision and I wish him All the best with which ever route he takes. My other half has a 2018 R and it's a cracking bike if that helps :)