Help With Bad Sounds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Steven S., Nov 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    Hello,

I have a 2016 Bonneville T100 black and I was out the other day on a ride when I started to hear a very bad sounding clunking/banging sound. I eventually located it to somewhere around the back of the bike, most likely on the sprocket side but I have still been unable to directly isolate what is causing the sound.

I very recently replaced the chain, and both the front and rear sprocket. I left the rear sprocket stock size but upgraded the front sprocket to 19T. I had ridden the bike 3 or so times on the new chain and sprocket set without any issues.

I ended up getting the bike towed back home because I didn't want to ride on a bike with a problem I couldn't nail down but after getting it home I put it up on the center stand and put the bike in gear. Again, I have been unable to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from or what the problem may be.

I just took a video to try and give some sense of what I'm hearing. Unfortunately the sound in the video is much thinner than in person so what you will hear sounds tinnier than what it actually is since it's more of a metallic banging/sometimes grinding sound.

I suspect I will need to take it into the shop if I cant figure out whats causing the sound but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: My bike currently has 9680 miles on it if that helps as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    So I thought that might be the case too but I tensioned the chain and torquing everything down again before recording the vide

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    From the video the chain looks to be too tight, have you any adjustment left to loosen it off being as you went up in sprocket size ?

The noise sounds like an over-tight chain to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    So the chain was pretty listl when the sound started making me think it was too loose. So I just tightened the chain to reduce the slack some but it made no difference.

Each time I dob mess with the chain I use a guage to check alignment. What made this wordw is it started randomly in my ride and was very noticeable

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    Sorry for all the spelling errors. I'm on mobile and running around a lot at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

That chain does look tight!

You checked it for a stiff link? Slacken off, go round chain and check all links, then tighten as per handbook.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    I agree I probably over tightened my chain however it was much looser when the sound started. Probably too loose. So even though I may have just over tightened it now I wanted to see if the loose chain was the cause of the sounds.

The sounds started before I touched the chain. Though I will try what you said and check each link for a stiff link somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Suggest not using the term 'tightening the chain' as it will confuse everyone. 'Adjusting the chain slack' is the proper terminology. A chain with a slack not adjusted per spec is dangerous. See below from my manual. 1" with bike upright (not on the side stand or center stand) and rear wheel on the ground with no additional weight on the bike.

upload_2018-11-19_13-8-18.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I'll take a stab at it and say that even though you thought the chain was too loose, it was actually too tight in the first place when you fitted it.

In the unloaded situation you have in the video I would expect the chain to be running on the rubbing strip at the front of the swing arm.

You have to visualise the fact that when you sit on the bike the swing arm comes closer to being parallel with the ground which makes the swing arm longer thus tightening the chain, this is the initial tension, once the bike is in motion the operation of the suspension will bring the swing arm closer to being parallel with the ground which in turn tightens the chain further.

This is the reason the chain tension may look very loose when on the stand.

The chain being too tight for long periods of time can overload the rear wheel bearings and output shaft bearing in the gearbox as well as the damage caused to the chain & sprockets, so correct chain adjustment is critical to the longevity of many components as well as affecting the handling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Having looked at your video a couple of times and stopped it when the wheel is stationary, I can't help thinking that the tyre is actually rubbing on the chain. There are a couple of strange marks on the edge of the tread where it meets the sidewall which may (or may not) be a result of a chain/tyre interface. Is the tyre on straight or could the back wheel have slipped out of alignment? 'Tis a bit hard to tell but the edge of the tyre does look pretty close to the chain, although I have nothing to compare it to.

Of course, I could be talking total bollox - again!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland

I'll be the first to admit that I may have run the bike with too much tension on the chain by mistake (likely my own inexperience). If this is the case would the bad sounds I'm hearing most likely be the chain or some other issue such as the wheel bearings? I have not had the chance to take a look at the chain itself again but I'm thinking maybe its a bad link? Would that cause the sounds I am hearing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    How should I go about checking the health of the output shaft bearings?

14. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    The noise to me sounds like chain noise, as has already been said.

Go back to basics and readjust the chain as per your handbook for the bike.

Unless you have covered large distances already then bearing damage at this point is unlikely but possible, make the adjustments and check wheel alignment.

I usually make alignment adjustments on the brake side of the swingarm as it affects your chain adjustment much less once you have the chain adjusted correctly.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steven s.
    I would say your chain is the culprit. Yes way way to tight. And the chain is slapping about to much. I know they do a bit when free wheeling but also as someone said if its hitting the tyre side wall it will do that. There is also one other thing you need to check. Where yo riveted you chain make sure you didn't damage that link.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would not worry about this unless you have covered large mileages since you started with this issue, any issue with the output shaft bearing will show up or not probably via an oil leak at first, but these bearings are usually quite robust and take quite a bit of abuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    Thank you for the advice. Ill check each link to see if there is bad link. Hopefully that is the case because then I at least know what the sound and fix is. I suppose I'll report back one way or the other after checking it over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steven S.

Steven S. New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Maryland
    So I took the chain off and checked each link. Some did feel stiffer than others but nothing really bound up. I gave the rear wheel a real good spin a couple of times by hand and didn't hear anything I wouln't expect to hear.

I also checked the front sprocket, didn't feel or seem loose. Lock washer was still on the nut snugg and I got the motor turning over and looked at the sprocket and looked like it was running straight and true from what I could see. So I'm going to assume the chain went bad and needs replacing. Which I suppose even though it was probably my fault in the first place is best case scenario since its much cheaper than some of the alternatives...

I suppose I will know for sure once I get a new chain on there.

Thanks for the advice overall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You could also look inside the rear wheel hub, it's not unheard of for the spacer inside the hub between the bearings to drop out of place and cause the bearings to be unloaded laterally, but this usually also means the back wheel will wobble ! But It can be running true if the axle is well and truly over tightened. This usually happens during reassembly of the back end when doing chain replacement or pulling the wheel out for tyre replacing. It happened to me and wheel didn't move or cause any problems until I took the Wife on board for a Christmas Toy run some 2,000 klms after a tyre replacement !!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

You didn't need to take the chain off to check it, just wind the adjusters all the way in and then go around just checking each link is free to move.
    If you took it off, I take it was the same link used to join in the first place, that could easily be the link that was making the noise, if you had 'over-squished' it with the chain tool.
    Agree with above, check all spacers are there and also all you cush drive rubbers.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #19 Callumity, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Just as a general observation, the top run of chain normally lashes very little while the bottom run bellies out as it thrown off the gearbox sprocket. Watch race bikes in slo mo and you can see the physics clearly.
    The top run finds its natural tension under load. Yours is whipping like a bow string.........under excess tension and made worse by suspension compression. The smartest thing you did was stopping!
    As Mr O says, each link can be checked at the rear sprocket. Given proper adjustment, it should barely move as you pinch and pull but you will feel any seized link. I doubt that is the issue.

Just visualise the arc of two circles. One is slightly larger than the other with its centre slightly further forward. That is the geometry of swingarm to gearbox pivot points and why a chain needs some slack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Seems to me like you should take it to the shop, if only to set your chain tension correctly (and check the front sprocket) They could show you the correct method.
    Its dangerous to work on bikes if you don't know what you are doing.
    Of course we all have to learn how. But best to be shown than get it wrong
    and your chain snap or damage the bearings or chuck you off !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1