Help - Which Exhaust Should I Go For..?!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Trippy Tripple, Dec 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. Austin Racing

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. SC Project

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Arrow

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Scorpion

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Trippy Tripple

Trippy Tripple Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Hey Guys,

Really need your help here, please. I am looking to swap the twin arrows on my ST RS for a lowboy end can of some sort. I have to admit I'm finding it quite difficult to choose which one. Both in terms of brand to choose and then specific can (e.g. Austin Racing have about 3000 model variations to choose from!:p).

Ultimately want a short, lowboy, loud, but needs to have removable baffle for track days.

I was hoping you might be able to help by recommending / suggesting a can. Either because you currently have one, have used one in the past. Perhaps trust the brand.

Please note, I will be removing the heavy and quiet arrows. So just keeping them on is not one of the options. :)

So far have considered, in this order:

Austin Racing
    SC Project
    Arrow
    Scorpion

Please let me know thoughts. If not one from the list, what else would you consider?

Thanks for listening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The least noisy! Loud exhausts are a total PITA and one of the biggest causes of rousing public opinion against bikers. Ultimately it is selfish noise pollution. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    No problem at all. Totally get your point and respect your opinion. I don't ride motorbikes because of public opinion though and the sound my my engines make is an important aspect of my love for machines... I am however not a complete hooligan, I keep my baffle in unless in the country and on open roads...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Good point but there is also a SMIDSY issue where if drivers hear you coming but don't see you there is a safety aspect. I personally don't like offensively load bikes but loud enough to know you are there is good and adds a bit of soul to your ride. .. just my opinion. I do have an SC but not the really loud one..

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Bodmin, Cornwall
    If you already have an Arrow system fitted then I would look at the others you've listed for your choice. Have you tried you-tubing the various pipes to hear them as a more less guessing exercise?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. MrTriple

MrTriple Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The AR is really quite acceptable with the baffle in - I ride mine without earplugs mostly, and don't find it all over the top. Baffle out is LOUD and very exciting, but it attracts an equal mix of admiring glances and angry staring.

Weigh reduction was 7.65kg (including the pillion pegs) which changed the handling characteristics. I had the suspension tuned and it transformed the ride (feels much lighter and turns in really quickly). I believe I lost low end torque (although leaving the baffle in seems to help), however a remap transformed that too (at Hilltop...and no I don't think they're selling vapour-wear).

Quality is amazing. Loads of choice. Price is too high...I have no regrets.

If 'London' isn't too far from Essex/East London border, come and have a listen :)

AustinRacing_1.JPG
    TS3_AR_GP3_GP1R_4.JPG
    ST3_Dyno_After.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Don't forget loud pipes saves lives. Time and time again I have people pull out walk out change lane right into my path. So I believe a nice loud pipe helps won't stop them al but helps.
    Ride Safe & Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    That's absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing and the for the pictures. I'm leaning towards the AR as well. Yes, it is quite pricey. But I imagine quality is also up there?

I really like the carbon heat shield. Is that AR? Or just a sticker on a carbon shield? Can you let me know where you purchased it?

I'm actually really close to Essex. Live near Canary Wharf... Perhaps when the sun comes out again I could blast over that way...

Really appreciate the post...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MrTriple

MrTriple Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Glad the info helped!

It's just a sticker on a carbon heat shield Mr TT - I hate stickers and just placed it there to see what it looked like...and I guess it stuck :yum

The heat shield is from CarbonFBR, but you'll need to watch the fitment as the mounting positions for 2016/17 are different to 2018/19. The details are in this thread: https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...-–-ownership-thread.13318/page-13#post-228922

I'm not sure whether Jacques at CarbonFBR has an updated part for 2018+ bikes.

You're about 12 miles and under 30 minutes from High Beech - perfect meeting point for bike chat and a coffee :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    This is genuinely a very valid point. I feel people often dismiss it as an excuse for obnoxious pipes. Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a limit. I hate over the top noise. But I often commute through heavy rush hour traffic, and I don't even know the number of time cars have heard me coming yet probably not seen me... I've definitely saved myself a from a few accidental collisions due to loud-er pipes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    This is genuinely a very valid point. I feel people often dismiss it as an excuse for obnoxious pipes. Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a limit. I hate over the top noise. But I often commute through heavy rush hour traffic, and I don't even know the number of time cars have heard me coming yet probably not seen me... I've definitely saved myself a from a few accidental collisions due to loud-er pipes...
    Awesome. So I guess you're near original Tea Hut / Epping forest?

Let me know next time you're venturing out... Would be great to meet up for a cup of tea...

Thanks for the carbon details... Will look into that. Bike looks great btw

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MrTriple

MrTriple Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm about 10 minutes away from the Original Tea Hut - if it's looking dry one weekend, I'll certainly drop you a PM...although chatting about mods can be damaging to your wallet. What starts out as a cheap cup of coffee...;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I went to Squires at Sherburn a few years ago with SWMBO. Two cups of coffee and two pasties cost me just short of £300:eek: - SWMBO found a Shoei crash helmet she liked at the shop round the back (Speedscene IIRC) and bullied me into buying it for her (think of me as a (fairly large .. ahem! ..) gentle Labrador:) and her as a small, excitable, snappy Jack Russell:scream: and you won't be far wrong!). I stood no chance!!:( SIGH!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe

Microphone is a semi pro one I had in a tail bag near the exhausts.
    Please excuse the undercutting and lane changing....

• Like Like x 5
  17. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Wowza. Incredible sound..!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrTriple

MrTriple Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    ...but you did at least get pasties :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Foxy1

Foxy1 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    i have an SC Project can on mine, and it sounds awesome, imo! It dint come wi a baffle, but would imagine it'd be a bit quieter wi one fitted.

20180507_125044.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Fantastic. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

What mirrors do you have on there mate? Stock or have different?

• Agree Agree x 1