Tiger 800 Help: Tiger 800 XRx(Low) vs XCx...

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by BionicDan, Apr 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Hi all,

I've just joined the forum as I'm on the very brink of buying a Tiger 800 but first I'm looking for a bit of advice...

I can't decide whether to go for an XRx(Low) or an XCx

I like the idea of being able to take the XCx off-road more capably (I'm told) than the XRx. The XRx comes also in a lowered version (helpful as I'm a short guy). I've test-ridden the XRx(Low) and it feels great. I'm told the XCx can be adjusted with a lowering kit but it wouldn't be as low as the XRx(Low).

I notice also that the XCx comes with 21" spoked wheels, while the XRx cast wheels... which tells me that the XRx is really more for road use. So, how much off-roading is the XRx capable of in that case? Presumably that XCx is happy in both environments and is no less capable on the road than the XRx (while it seems the XRx is less happy off-road than the XCx).

I'm tempted to go for the XCx and get it lowered, but spokes wheels worry me (punctures while touring etc).

The XRx(Low) is £500 cheaper than the XCx.

Can anyone give me their view on the pros and cons of each 'bike.
    What do you think?

Regards

D

2. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Thanks, Andy... That's excellent!
    You've helped a great deal.
    Thanks again!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The XRx is a fully specc'd bike : Comfort seats; cruise control;

The XCx has White Power (quality) suspension; wire wheels with tubed tyres; it loses out on-road due to tyre choice, longer travel suspension and 21" wheel.

When I tried both I thought I would go for the XCx because I would like to be able to some light off-road work. But when I test road the XRx I just thought it was such a brilliant, complete, allrounder that I preferred the XRx.

The XCx is significantly taller (properly high!!) bike by comparison to the std. XRx, never mind a low version XRx.

My view is that unless you plan to do the majority of your riding off-road, go for an XRx with semi off-road tyres.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    That was one of my worries, Andy... whether the XRx(Low) will be good enough for off-roading, even though it's called an "Adventure Bike". I've done my Level 1 with MotoScotland and I wondered if the Xrx(Low) could handle similar.

5. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Thanks, Littleade!
    Why didn't *I* think of checking out YouTube...!
    Cheers
    D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    You can get an XC Low as standard, which when I tested it with the seat set low seemed slightly lower than my standard XRx which I ride with the set set low. Best idea is go get some test rides. A mate and I have XR's, and a couple of other mates have XC's. We ride out together and do all the usual stuff, main roads, curvey roads, twisty country lanes, bumpy and rutted single tracks, single tracks which used to have joined-up tarmac. Both versions cope well. But we haven't gone full-on off road so I can't comment there.

As for off roading, how much serious off roading do you plan to do?

btw, good advice from Ade.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    #5 BionicDan, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Thanks, Rich.
    No, the dealer told me that Triumph has stopped doing the XCx low version.

I've pretty much decided... ill go for the XRx(Low). Now I've got to see what I negotiate for a cash buy.
    Any tips?

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I rode both back to back for a few hours before I settled on the XRx. It is more road focused and handles better than the XC in my opinion. It also felt more comfortable to me (I'm 5' 11")

• Like Like x 1
  9. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    I took one for a test ride a few weeks ago and I was astounded as to how easy it was to ride. It was beautiful! It was my first time on such a 'bike (on road anyway) as I'm traditionally a Harley man. I'm pretty certain I'm going for the XRx(Low). Thanks.

10. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Yeah, I know the feeling... I'm only 5'6
    I'm currently 'boss-less' anyway. :)

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Buy the bike sharpish then ! At least your decision will be the right one, for a while until you have a new "boss".

• Like Like x 1
  12. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
  13. mim

mim New Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Brighton
    The XCx low is still being offered on the Triumph UK website.

As a short-legged person, I rode one recently at the local dealers & I was amazed how well I could reach the ground.
    Personally I prefer the XRx as its more road focussed & corners better with its smaller front wheel & lower geometry, but the extra quality of the XC suspension was really great too!

14. mim

mim New Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Brighton
    The XCx low is still being offered on the Triumph UK website.

As a short-legged person, I rode one recently at the local dealers & I was amazed how well I could reach the ground.
    Personally I prefer the XRx as its more road focussed & corners better with its smaller front wheel & lower geometry, but the extra quality of the XC suspension was really great too!

• Like Like x 1
  15. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Well, just to keep you all posted, after digging around and researching etc., I ended up plumping for the XCx.

There were many reasons why, including (mainly the first point)...

• ...lowering the XRx reduces CONSIDERABLY the tare/weight it can carry, while lowering the XCx wouldn't affect the weight it can carry at all. In fact, I'm sure it seemed to add more potential carrying weight.

• ...the XCx has much better suspension.

• ... it has an Aluminium Sump Guard

The concern I had, though, about getting the XCx is that it has spoked wheels. I was worried that punctures are difficult (impossible?) to repair at roadside. However, I was informed of 'special' tubeless tyres ("Anakee III") designed specifically for spoked wheels... so I opted to have those fitted. It just means I have a brand new, unused set of Bridgestones that I'll have to try and sell, perhaps on eBay. Anyone interested?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anyway, I just took delivery of my new 'bike this morning!

Rather than just jump on her straight away - as I was very tempted to do - I've decided to use today and tomorrow to go through and digest the handbook and controls etc.

On Saturday... that's when I'll start running her in.

I was told that the 'low' version IS available after all, but that (on their advice) it would depreciate a lot quicker and more greatly than the standard version. I therefore decided to go for the standard size and have it lowered by the maximum 4cm. That way, if/when I come to selling, it can easily be raised again and sold as standard.

BD

16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Rather than just jump on her straight away - as I was very tempted to do - I've decided to use today and tomorrow to go through and digest the handbook and controls etc.

On Saturday... that's when I'll start running her in
    BD[/QUOTE]

You know you're sick don't you? I'd call the nurse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, what is wrong with you? :rolleyes:
    The only way to learn about the controls is out on the bike :)

18. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Well, having been a. biker most of my life, yes I know... I thought I was coming across semi-sensibly by saying what I did. Obviously not. I've shot myself in the foot it seems.

The *real* reason is that I had no time yesterday or today anyway (work etc). Also need to sort out my insurance, which I'll take a spare lunchtime hour to do today. Then I'll be set for tomorrow.

19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    We're only (gently) pulling your leg! :rolleyes::rolleyes: No one is even semi-sensible on this forum!
    W**k always gets in the way - just ask crispey! :mad::mad:

• Like Like x 1
  20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Danny and welcome in. Have you been out on your new XCx yet ? What's that White Power suspension really like? I was seriously interested in one but couldn't get a test anywhere, so couldn't proceed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Hi there,
    No, not been out of my XCx yet. No time today... working.
    Will be going out tomorrow and Sunday though.
    Will let you know.
    Cheers
    D

22. BionicDan

BionicDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    UK
    Hi there,
    No, not been out of my XCx yet. No time today... working.
    Will be going out tomorrow and Sunday though.
    Will let you know.
    Cheers
    D

23. Mouse

Mouse New Member

May 12, 2017
    Larbert
    Hi
    You can buy a low seat for the tiger 800
    It's the same seat that is on the "lowered"
    Xrx.