Help!!! Street Twin Is Playing Silly Buggers...!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MattGaydon, May 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Hi all,

So I met my wife up at Newlands Corner in the amazing evening sun but when we got ready to set off her Street Twin started playing up.

First off, it didn't start which it has never done. Then, once we got it started it started, when we twisted the throttle it kept cutting out. If you were super gentle, it was fine and would rev as normal but if you twisted even a little quicker/harder than dead slow the engine stuttered and then cut out.

We nursed it home as it wasn't far but it was still doing it when we got back to the garage so here I am!! I've attached a video of the issue (if I know how to) so any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks chaps!

2. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Ok so I def don't know how to upload a video...more help would be awesome!!

3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    So the file is too large, any ideas?

4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Matt not sure what your problem is? The street twin is quite a new model; is it not still in warranty?
    Wessa

5. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Not sure about the warranty as its 66 and tbh was hoping to sort this tomorrow morning if possible as the weather is so good! Would be a right pain to have to get it booked in and wait for them to sort it!

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    To load a video, you first need to load it onto you tube and then cut and paste the link into your post...
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Here's the video...

8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Shorting at the head there are threads on here about that.

9. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Ok so what's that?

Is it easily sorted? I'll take a look for a thread.

10. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Ok thanks for your help, will try and find out what that is!

11. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a new Street Twin. Only 1,500 miles and has been fine so far. It might be a bad ECU (engine control unit). My owners manual mentions a 'limp home mode' for the ECU. Maybe that is the problem. See below from the O&M manual.

upload_2018-5-6_11-50-49.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    There have been two or three guys on here in the past couple of months complaining of cutting out at junctions and dodgie idling. and it was found to be what you have, no one caught it on camera straight off like you have. I dont have a bike like yours and so I was only half paying attention, and my memories cr4p. Someone will be along shortly.

13. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Ok thanks Sprinter!!!

14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Put it on youtube then link to it here.

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My 1973 Yamaha DS7 did exactly the same when it rained. The plug caps sporadically shorted to earth in preference to jumping the plug gap producing a misfire. New plug caps were a quick and easy fix.
    I would expect Triumph to put their hands up to this; not exactly quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Quality? Personally I think Triumph are on the slippery slope to do we give a F**k about quality control. The number of posts on the forum about rusty spokes and corrosion on new bikes should be a wake up call to Triumph! I very recently sold my America after a trip to Scotland in the rain which resulted in four days/ cleans to get it back to reasonable condition then a day later all the fins were furring up! On a bike that is not two years old that is not acceptable when you consider the purchase price.
    Much as I love the brand unless they improve their quality control and start fitting stainless parts my money is going elsewhere!

17. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Sorry about your issues but tbh I’m just looking for any helpful input...at the moment seems like it’s a trip to the dealer as soon as I can.

18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Or Halfrauds......new plug caps are about £1.50 each online or £4 at Halfords......a simple screw on job.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Toddy

Toddy Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Near Gatwick, in Surrey.
    If your dealer's open scoot in there for new plug caps [the parts department might not be open even if the dealer is, so it might have to be Halfords]. Unless it's just a quirk of the video recording, I think I can hear the plug leads arcing to the head.

20. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    No i don’t think it’s a quirk, the plugs are def not doing what they should so must be this arcing...although not exactly sure what that means (sorry I’m pretty crap at this!).

How easy is it to change the plug caps?

21. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Matt I think the others are right about the plug caps. The only thought that just came to mind was, have you checked to ensure they are securely clipped onto the plugs? If for some reason they've worked loose that could be the problem and the solution is to just stuff 'em back on !!!

22. Robert Castledine

Robert Castledine New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Could be the dreaded spark plug caps as Triumph have had some dodgy ones, looked on youtube thread and sounded like it was shorting.