Help, Speedy keeps slipping out of gear

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JayJay, Mar 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    Hi All,
    Can anyone help me with my 2012 speed triple with 9,000 miles on the clock that has now decided it doesn't want to stay in gear when deaccelerating.
    I went out for a nice ride yesterday and on the way out the bike performed faultlessly as always but on the way home she kept going in to neutral when slowing down, which definitely made my life flash before my eyes a few times!
    This happened almost every time I slowed and it didn't matter what gear I was in.
    The bike is slightly over due a service which is booked in next month.
    Thanks in advance

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Does the gear lever fit directly on to the shaft or does it work through a linkage? If so it may have worked loose and therefore out of adjustment or the joints may just need greasing (being a lazy old sod I tend to squirt mine with a chain lube aerosol can thingy, which will probably upset the purists, but it seems to work ok. Look, it's grease innit??).
    Thereafter things may get expensive!:eek:
    So try tightening/greasing as seems appropriate before delving deeper. Fingers crossed!:)

3. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    Cheers Steve, I'll try this first thing in the morning.
    The most annoying thing is I've got the week off and was planning on riding my way through most of it :(
    Hopefully it's just an adjustment thing.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Have you checked your chain tension, if not might be a good place to start?

5. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    I've noticed this morning it's very hard to get into gear almost crunchy! The gear linkage seems ok, the chain is a tad slack, but stationary the gear box is extremely crunchy and difficult to put into gear?
    Feels like it's knackered :(

6. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    No, half ton are you thinking it might be the clutch? The clutch feels fine. It did hold in gear when accelerating, it only dropped out of gear and into neutral when coming off the gas.
    A motorbike mechanic I bumped in to today said it might be the 'selector fork' but he didn't know anything about speed triples.
    I've got a feeling its broken lol just need to know if it's something I can fix myself, otherwise it's gonna cost me a small fortune to get someone to investigate and repair.

7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    There was some issue's with the selector fork on some early Street Triple's might be worth getting someone to have a look.

8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    To be honest how you are describing it I don't think a service will cure it.
    You probably need to take it to a triumph expert but a main dealer will be expensive.
    I suggest you contact Clive Wood. Clive used to run Jack Lilley's race team but now operates out of Swineshead near Boston Lincs. Tell 07752477738

9. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    #9 PETER CLARKE, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    If I was you a Triumph dealer booking to road test and report findings, you could do a check of engine oil and oil sump plug for metal contamination.

10. Blue Flame

Blue Flame Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I had the symptoms you are describing with my Sprint GT. Bike would jump out of gear when in a lower gear going down a hill which was scary and also would randomly pop out of gear when accelerating.

It turned out to be a bearing on the 'gearchange detent arm' had become detached (whatever the heck that is). Was replaced under warranty along with a new clutch. Not too clear why they replaced the clutch but I know that they had ordered that up as that was there original suspicion.

11. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    jayjay did you get problem sorted out with your gear change ??

12. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    Hi guys, sorry for the delayed update, house move, another baby on the way and work seem to have left me with no time to even wipe my own arse!

So I managed to get out on the speed today, I've adjusted the chain, gear lever, clutch and changed the oil and filter. And for 20 minutes it felt like a new bike until it slipped out of gear while in 2nd slowing down for a roundabout.(another slightly scary moment), but it didn't do it again, so now I'm really confused.
    Think I'm just going to give up and let Triumph have a look.

13. wilko1999

wilko1999 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Stroud
    Resurrecting an old thread here - did you sort this problem? My S3 955 has just started doing it now and again, so far just when using engine braking in second just coming up to a junction. Wouldn't want it to happen halfway round a corner cranked over.

14. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    #15 JayJay, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Update: It turned out to be a detent arm and bearing? (I think that's what he called it!)
    The bearing was swimming around in the gearbox but luckily it didn't damage anything else within the gearbox.
    1 new detent arm
    1 bearing
    oil & filter
    Gaskets
    labour
    = approx £280
    Which I was very happy with considering Triumph quoted me £250 just to diagnose the problem!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. wilko1999

wilko1999 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Stroud
    Thanks for the update JayJay. My bike is currently down at the dealer for another issue, so I'll call them this morning and see if they can check this out too.