765 Help Please With A Deal And Valuation

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by gazzatheyid, Jul 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for any help. So, I've talked myself in to a new bike after getting a new job with a 60 mile round commute with city riding for work purposes.

So I have a 2011 Striple R in pretty average condition (see photos) with a number of accessories including arrow cans, belly pan, anodized brake fluid reservoir, bobbins.

11,000 miles which means big 12,000 service is due, which I'm told will influence what I get. Any other accessories you can spot let me know as it has a lot apparently (according to the original ad) and I wasn't sure what was standard when I bought it.

Dealers are quoting me around 3-3.5k which seems reasonable :confused:.

The Triumph dealer I'm dealing with has an offer for a 765S new for £7150 (pre reg or not,my choice) but no quick shifter included (a triumph offer at the mo). I'm pushing for 3.5k with 3.5k to pay. Any feedback appreciated as I have no real experience buying a new bike or dealers in general (this was the only purchase). Pics below, thanks

https://picr.me/image/VTTi0D
    https://picr.me/image/VTTgu0
    https://picr.me/image/VTT8dh

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  3. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    #3 gazzatheyid, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    A 12000 mile service wont take a trained mechanic more than 1/2 a day, They will skip over most of it, wont grease the bearings, and will tick the boxes, rather than do the jobs.
    What I mean is, on your own bike you would change things that seem ok, on a trade in bike they will only change what really needs doing, if it seem ok they will leave it.

So much quicker service, less expensive for them.

In my (limited) experience, once they have made you an offer ( even over the phone) unless, there is a huge discrepancy, they will honour it.
    They are offering the trade in-price as bait so you buy the new bike, the profit for them is the new bike ( especially with finance attached).
    I traded a GT at the end of last year and I got more than I spent ( on paper) two years earlier.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

I'm sending in photos to them as well to try and firm it up. I've said I don't want to travel there and them examine it with a fine tooth comb and try and knock me down. They reassured as you've said this shouldn't happen. Big purchase for me so want to get my ducks in a row so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I traded a Subaru a few years back,over the phone, then drove down and went passed his office window to park.
    He didnt even leave his seat, just did the deal, the car needed a new CV joint, he didnt ask anything about it, and I never offered. Deal done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Cheers for that. Only issue is it's 2 hours away and don't fancy repeating the trip (as will have to swap my bike and take the new one). But being prepared to go home and not being forced in to a deal is definitely something I'll take on board.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The bike you are selling is within range of cash buyers for a private sale.

How much of a hurry are you in? Is a naked bike the best all weather commuter?

I would just slow down slightly. The quick and easy route is the most expensive but potentially has you experiencing buyer’s remorse a few weeks later. Done the new commute in mixed weather on the 675 for long?

You might find your perspectives shift.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    The new S and R offers of £1300 off have got me excited haha! Not sure I can endure the pain of private sale.

I've done some trips before and I think as long as I have the right kit I'll be ok. 40-60 minutes with heated grips etc should be fine. But I get your point.

I have taken a breath and realise I don't need an RS in all fairness as I don't intend to do track days an R or S would be more then sufficent (altough I want 'that' dash)!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The R would be my first choice of all 3. The torque is where you want it on the road - not too peaky - but with the cycle parts to match without the premium price. You can bet the RS is the most profitable to make and sell because of the price tag and boy racer desirability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Personally I wouldn't go for the S because I think it loses too much spec.
    I have an RS and maybe you don't want or need all the gadgets but they are nice.
    An R would probably be the answer if you're trying to keep the cost down.

The pics of your bike look good but the exhaust lets it down. Can't you clean it up a bit as to me that stands out straight away as the poorest part?
    Is it ready for a new chain and sprockets as the adjusters look well back?

Trade-in price wise; in my opinion I think that sounds quite a fair deal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Cheers for advice above.

Right I've brokered a good deal with a Triumph dealer 3.5k for mine and 8 for the R with quickshifter brand new. No pre reg either!

• Like Like x 3
  14. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
  15. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    #14 gazzatheyid, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Thank you Sir. Bought at the right time it would seem and dealt with the organ grinder from the off!

Grey model as well! Very pleased. Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

So how to protect this baby. I will definitely have to get things right on the maintenance front now!

16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds good, go for it.

If you feel a touch of slack for a further push in your direction, get the 500 mile service and stamp included :p

It's only a very minor expense for the dealer as in oil and filter yet it's £150 to you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Bullocks! Wish I'd seen this before I did the deed. I managed to get a £50 Triumph shop voucher. Not sure he'd have went further though in fairness.

In win terms it feels like I'd taken her home after a great first date but her making the breakfast as well was unlikely.

18. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon

19. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Nice work, sounds like you did well. As far as protection goes, I use the following:
    • MoniMoto Smart Motorcycle GPS Alarm
    • Oxford Boss Super Strong Disc Lock 14 mm Shackle
    • Datatag
    • P16-x.x-RoundLock (securityforbikes.com)
    • DiB D- lock (securityforbikes.com)

• Thanks Thanks x 1