Help!!!! Oil Shot Everywhere While On The Highway, And White Smoke. Cannot Start Bike!!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by YOsH, Mar 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    I just recently (about 2 months now) bought a Daytona 675 2014 Abs. It was from a private seller in Sycamore, IL. It had only 3500 miles when I purchased it. I laid it down while taking it out of the garage a few weeks ago. A minor scratch on my left side engine case and my left turn signal pushed into my fairing.

About a week ago I fell off of it at a stop sign when I slid on a patch of ice going probably 3mph (New rider). It fell on the right this time, breaking/chipping my break lever and slightly bending my rear brake pedal (Both still fully functional) and a couple scratches here and there but nothing major.

Ok now for what happened yesterday. I've been riding the bike off and on since the spill at the stop sign and have been having no problems. I even rode around with the chipped down brake lever with just making sure can pull down on the lever or what was left of it. I swapped out both levers a few days prior to the oil situation. While riding on the highway I was doing about 70-85 (speeding to my daughter's 2nd birthday party) in 3rd gear the bike out of nowhere made a very loud revving noise and while doing this I noticed white smoke behind me and seen oil literally shooting out on my foot but only on the left side. I pulled over and the bike wouldn't turn over unsurprisingly with the amount of oil I seen. I didn't see anything broken or anything damaged. I reached for my oil pan bolt and from using my hand it seemed to be tight. I'm new with riding and even newer with motorcycle repairs. Does anyone have any clue on what could've happened and what needs to be done to get the bike up and running?

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You might of damaged your radiator and oil cooler with one of your previous drops :confused:
    And it’s gave up under load as you’ve been blatting along :(
    Doesn’t sound good though :(

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio

All of this sounds super expensive for a bike I've had less than 2 months ‍♂️‍♂️. But I didn't hear any knocking prior to this. No big popping noises, jerks or anything. Literally from riding at a steady 85ish then I pulled the throttle to get around a vehicle in front of me and it was like a red lining revving noise from me pulling the throttle but when I let go the noise continued until I pulled over. Should I just take off both fairings as if I was changing the oil and see if I notice any damage? Also no cracks in the engine or damage from what I can see other than the small scratches from laying it down walking it out of the garage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Ugh... My first bike ever and you're telling me it could be a broken radiator? Also the nearest Triumph dealership is an hour and a half away. :sob::sob::weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    I actually somewhat remember this. Its the gauge on the left, right? Anyway the bar was all the way filled or close to it

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Don't be mad but.... I have no clue where the radiator or expansion tanks are. I'm an IT tech/major I am literally mechanically illiterate unless its changing a tire or jumping a battery. :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You could start a thread in the "technical" section and the "daytona" section.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Well, I took off my side fairing and judging from what I seen I won't be up and riding anytime soon... Take a look https://s.amsu.ng/woWD9Gdn19nN
    ....Welp there goes my brief and uneventful start and end with motorcycles. Bought my dream bike and rendered it useless in less than 2 months. Thanks everyone for the help, support and pointers.

20190324_164222.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    So in a nutshell, the bikes done and there's really no point in fixing this because the fix would almost judging buying a new engine? Great..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    It was from a private seller unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    I believe I am the 3rd owner. I also have all the history of service to the motorcycle etc. I assume the miles are genuine they seem to be reflected correctly on the paperwork at least. With it being a 2014 model bike I doubt there's any type of warranty or coverage to the motor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    By the looks of the photos posted by DD it looks like serious, possible crank issue, but unfortunately it's taken the crank cases out.
    Was there no warning at all, rumbling banging etc?

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Literally NOTHING. No knocking, banging, no loud pops I've been the 3rd great for about 5 mins already before this happened. I revved the engine to pass a car approximately from 83-90 then a red lining noise and white smoke and oil everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #16 Eldon, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    The white smoke and oil everywhere is easy to explain; something let go, burst the casing and hot oil and/or coolant sprayed on the exhaust/hot bits and vaporized.
    The awkward bit is the "Red lining noise" even if the throttle stuck wide open the rev limiter should have saved the motor.

I've seen a few cbr600 motors blow with oil and smoke everywhere but they were from crank oil starvation due to centrifugal forces. This caused a rod to drop and burst out.
    I'd certainly be interested to take a look inside to see what failed, pity your not in the UK.

As DD said that sump gasket goo doesn't look factory so it would have been good to know what's gone on before.

Anyone have a sectional view of this engine?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Well this really really hurts to hear. Thanks for everything guys. I'll look into the service papers of the bike that I have and see if I can find anything and I guess I'll look on eBay for engines... I'd hate to think I've got swindled out of almost 7k and my very first bike at that also it literally being my dream bike hurts even more. Again thanks for everything guys I really appreciate all your input

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Whereabouts is the balance shaft on this motor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I wonder if when the bike went down for the second time and on its right hand side if the engine was running for any length of time and by YOsH own admission of not be mechanically minded I wonder if the engine oil level was low also resulting in oil starvation of the left side of the crank.
    Could this have been the start of the problems.
    Then when giving it the berries,bang rod and crank go resulting in a cracked crankcase beside the internal damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. YOsH

YOsH Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio
    Yeah I guess the bright side of this is I didn't die. I actually missed the entire party waiting on progressive to come tow it off the left shoulder of the highway. Atleast I made it in time for her (I had to blow for her) to blow the candle off of the cookie cake, and sing Happy birthday.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My working suspicion is that you have been sold a complete pup. The amount of silicone used to rebuild that engine tells me it was not the most expert mechanic and the bike was patched up to look the part and get rid......

Candidly, I think you have been had by someone all too happy to sell out of State with no comeback. As others have said, you need a new motor......used but with a warranty of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1