Help Me Start My Bike

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by T120bonnie, Mar 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    #1 T120bonnie, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    I have 2018 T120 no crank issue.

Few things i checked!

Theres no power at the starter, but if i directly connecter jumper cable at the starter bolt behind the rubber boot then the starter kicks in.

i checked 30amp starter solenoid fuse its good.

battery was completely dead so i connected my jumper box which is fully charge.

Also i just replaced ignition switch it came with 2 new keys from triumph. The old key no longer works in the new ignition switch. Could that in any way interfere with immobilizer system? Are the keys and ECU married to each other?

Im lost not sure what steps i need to take next.

is there a way to test starter solenoid?

kevin

2. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Have you checked the cut off switches - side stand and clutch lever?
    Is battery charged, below a certain charge the bike wont attempt to turn over?
    I would imagine the keys are married, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The keys are matched to the ignition, if you have tried one of the new keys and it doesn't work try the other one, you may have to match the ignition switch to the ecu to get things to work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    A definite YES. A month after i got my new 2016 TTR the Immobilizer/ ECU didn't recognize the key- no start. Towed to dealer. As it was a new model it took 3 weeks to get a new ignition module from the motherland. Dealer had to marry up the new keys to the immobilizer/ECU ( which only a dealer computer can do) and also changed the seat lock to the new keys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    i did verify the stand was up and clutch lever pressed all the way to handle bar.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    So i had to also wait 3 weeks after placing an order for ignition switch it came with 2 keys.

I think you might be right the keys may need programming.

i was reading the Hayes repair manual and one way to tell if the key needs programming was that you would have a immobilizer light staying on with the ignition switched on. I didn't check that at the time i was working on the bike.

Since i order the new ignition key switch from dealers. Shouldn't my original key still work in ignition its not even turning the ignition switch.

Let me call the local Triumph dealer to make sure.

thank you guys

7. Retired Phil

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Doubt that will work as the new ignition module is where the rf signal from the new key unlocks the immobilizer. Now, if you put the old key in the ignition with the new key held next to it, that might work. Again, if the immobilizer red light in the gauges cluster goes out , you are in business. The bottom line to all this is that the dealer should have done the key, ignition, seat lock switch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Im gonna work on the bike on Saturday, I update you guys if i get it running

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Wasn't sure from your post, but does it crank and not fire? Or does it not crank when you press starter?

10. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    I doesn’t crank. Nothing happens no sound when i press start

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    ok. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but how about the basics? Have you tried a battery from another bike - or tried to jump start it?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Retired Phil

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    That was my first question.

13. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    Yes, I tried jumping it that was the first thing i did.

14. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    It was in an accident. The bottom part of the ignition switch is broken. front headlight is broken and forks are bent.

15. T120bonnie

T120bonnie New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    California
    I did thought about that. If nothing else works then that's what am gonna do.

I wonder if the bottom part of the ignition switch can be swapped out with new ignition switch.