765 Help Me Decide - Brand New S Or Low Miles R

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by ContactSC, Sep 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Hi, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Street Triple 765 but have the choice between a brand new unregistered black S model or a grey R model with 2800 miles on it for just about the same money. I'm not a bells and whistles kind of guy so don't care about the TFT dash or riding modes on the R so was leaning towards the new S, but DO care about the much better brakes and suspension on the R. 2800 miles doesn't seem a whole lot to me and it's from a Triumph dealer so would be properly serviced and prepped before release. On the other hand, a shiny new S, no-one's owned it before..... aarrrgh!

So any advice? Or just let me know what you'd do yourself, and why? Might help me decide....thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    The 2000 miles has ironed out all the links.

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Easy :)
    Get yourself a piece of paper a pen and a coin :)
    Then open a bottle of Jack Daniels :yum
    Whilst drinking the JD:yum flip the coin :)
    Heads the S
    Tails the R
    When all the Jack Daniels is gone you should have a winner :p
    I doubt that you’ll need another bottle but hey....needs must and if it takes two bottles :yum so be it :rolleyes:

OH :eek:...the S is BLACK :cool:
    Ignore the above and get the S:grinning:

Then celebrate your decision with....you’ve guessed it :yum the bottle of JACK DANIELS :yum

How easy was that :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    It was really funny, but not easy, doesn't help!!!! :broken_heart:

5. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Yes, my thinking exactly.

6. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Not a demo bike. One (Scottish, if that makes a difference, blustery conditions?!) owner from new.

7. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has ridden both the S and the R and can tell me if you miss the extra 2 pots on the front brakes with the S? I don't think I'm ever going to do any track days, or at least not thrash it on or off a track. I think that's what is really bugging me - if I buy the S, maybe the brakes aren't good enough?

8. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    All of the above points are completely valid, including the JD - except I recommend tequila:grinning: One thing not covered is the new bike warranty which under the right (actually wrong) circumstances can be huge. You didn't mention the age of the R and how much warranty is left. If the bike was a demo and not registered, it should come with the full warranty. Also, you said "...and it's from a Triumph dealer so would be properly serviced and prepped before release." I would encourage you to do everything you can to make sure this is a true statement. Talk to them (hopefully the mechanic) and ask what they did to the bike and see if they will show you any paperwork on 'repairs.' If the story doesn't sound right - be leary of the bike.

I bought a T-Bird Commander that a magazine had abused for 1,500 miles for an article. I got the bike 'as new' with full warranty. Therefore, I wasn't too concerned about making the purchase, especially since I got $5,000 off the price. One other thing not mentioned above is that you are already half way through a set of tires on the R if that makes a difference to you.

There is a technique called paired weighting that will help you make a completely objective decision. Basically, you lay out ~10 to 15 of your major concerns/considerations (e.g. bells and whistles, warranty, color, etc.) and you evaluate each item one time against each other item and score them. It forces you to identify what are really the most important concerns to you. If your interested, send me a pm and I try to pass it along to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I see your from Newcastle :) if the S is from Triumph Newcastle they are nice people to deal with and have looked after me :)
    I bought a new Speedmaster from them and would recommend them :)
    You’ve already stated that you’re not bothered about all the bells and whistles :confused: and like the idea of a unnmolested bike :) so maybe you’ve answered your own question :)
    Anyway the S is BLACK :cool:....get it :p
    If the R is Jockinees:eek: perhaps the hairy arsed Scotlandshire person was riding in a kilt/skirt type thingy with no grollies on:poop::eek:...urgh :tired_face:
    I’ll have the Jack Daniels if you don’t want it :yum I’m not far so you can drop it off for me by way of thanks for my valuable and informative guidance :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Haha! Thanks very much, dilligaf! I am in Newcastle, yes, and that dealership seem great; Kevin seemed very down to earth. Do you have any experience of the Striple S VS R model? Only real concern is the brakes on the S....big downgrade from the other two models.

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Sorry mate but the only Triumphs I’ve owned have been 09 & 18 plate Speedmasters:cool:
    I’ve had lots of Jack Daniels though :yum
    Can’t you get test rides:confused:

12. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Haha! Thanks very much, dilligaf! I am in Newcastle, yes, and that dealership seem great; Kevin seemed very down to earth. Do you have any experience of the Striple S VS R model? Only real concern is the brakes on the S....big downgrade from the other two models.
    The only test ride they can give me is on an RS. Which I think is pointless, because i want to know brake performance of the S VS R, not the RS which is the top line model and would be way better than the bike I'll be buying.

Like a bit of JD myself but, sorry about this, prefer a single malt like Glenlivet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    By the time you have done 500 miles on the S and it is properly 2nd hand you will wish you had bought the R. Ignore the bells and whistles but mind the chassis and mid range of the R. They make its 2,800 miles pretty immaterial after 6 months ownership of either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    “Like a bit of JD myself but, sorry about this, prefer a single malt like Glenlivet”
    Clearly a man of taste....all too rare on here....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Being a 765R owner that has properly bled the brakes, the front brakes on the 765R are still a bit spongy when in 'ROAD' mode. But when in 'SPORT' mode I get a more solid feel.

DIsclaimer: I'm not recommending anyone to try turning off ABS... But I get the best feel from the front brakes when I turn off ABS and just apply threshold braking techniques.

Rant...my bike is still in the shop waiting for replacement clutch plates from triumph :( I miss the dang thing so much. It's been over 3 weeks.

16. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK

Just when I'd decided to go for the brand new bike, Callumity, you say this, and I'm back in dilemma land! I think you're right.....it has about 11 months of warranty left, that could be an issue? Here it is, if it helps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-...556397?hash=item4d7a40ea2d:g:D9IAAOSwU~Rbct1X

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I went out to buy a nearly new car two months ago and came home with a new one.......the scrappage scheme made my £750 trade in worth £2250. My new car is already losing its lustre as ‘new’. The scrappage scheme was the ONLY reason I bought new.

That R looks a peach. Somebody else has taken the immediate big hit of depreciation and at £1400 less than new with modest mileage......
    What’s not to like? I actually think the R is probably the best road bike of the 765 range being more tractable and producing similar torque to the RS but at lower rpm.

Only my stiff knees rule one out for me......

Oh and you won’t be frustrated running it in during the remainder of the good weather.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    The 'R' every time. Add a quickshifter, belly pan and SC Projects (ideally) or Yoshi exhaust when you can and you'll not be disappointed. Also try and haggle the used one if you can.

I had the RS out on Sunday for a long day's ride. A ride out of sports bike riders tried to race me on the B6047 Foxton to Melton Mowbray and couldn't keep up round the twisty bits. Great fun, but the suspension is a tad too twitchy on uneven surfaces. The R eats them up and has more than enough top end in the real world..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Newcastle triumph are great, I looked at the very same bike on Saturday, it's lovely...... personally I'd go for the r over the s. The r seems special in comparison.
    Is this the bike in question?

IMG-20180901-WA0004.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    It is, yes

• Like Like x 1
  21. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Gotta be the R, first keeper has taken the hit on depreciation and it will hold its value better and be more attractive come sale time .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1