Help. I Created A Short Circuit On My 2013 Street Triple R.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by robbertvk_, Jun 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    Hello guys,

I just got a new bike, a street triple R 2013 model. Since it was not bought with the passenger side pegs mounted i had to do this myself. I removed my battery (first time ever) in order to place my passenger pegs. When replacing it, i unfortunately placed my minus on plus, and vica versa creating a short circuit. I knew i fucked up when a tiny spark emerged, and i instantly disconnected it ofcourse.

So when i got it connected in the right way, the bike was just dead. I found on internet that my main fuse might got burned, and i needed to replace it. I did just do this (took me quite some time) and my bike got power again. All electricity seems to be working (horn, lights, indicators, fuel pump sound etc), but when i try to start it nothing happens... I looked into my fuse box and checked all fuses, they seem te be fine.

I am completely terrified i fried my bike in a way it is going to be very costly to fix it. Also, i dont know what else i need to check for in order for it to start again. Could you guys please help me? Much appreciated.

TLDR; Created short circuit upon faulty replacement of battery. Changed main fuse, electricity now works but bike wont start. HELP

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Oppss. We've all done stuff best not remembered!
    However, it's probably all not lost.
    When you say "the fuses seem fine", is that visual or multimeter fine?
    Possible relay issue if all ok on the fuse front.
    Not sure on which one but a bit of clicking on this asylum may help!

3. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    Thank you for your reply.

Fuses seem visually fine indeed. I dont have a multimeter or any other tools related to electricity. My main fuse 30 ampere what i changed was clearly broken visually, since the two metal parts inside disconnected and the plastic was blackish. Also it smelled when i pulled him out.

When checking the other fuses they did not smelled, visually looked good. So it is a possibility that they are broken but you cannot see it?

4. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Thats exactly it.
    Sometimes they look ok but really are not.
    And, when you switch it on and click the engine to run, do you hear any clicks/clunks or pumps starting?
    Only reason i ask is that if the fuel pump doesn't pressurise, it's an indication where your problem MAY be.
    Strange thing also but check the headlight bulb.
    Sometimes, if the bulb is knackered, it won't try to start either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    Headlight bulb works fine, as do the other electrics. I do hear the normal sounds when i turn my key so electricity goes on. Also, when changing from kill switched into not kill switched i hear the fuel pump making noise so that part works.

However, when i hit the start button what normally will ignite the motor, nothing happens at all. No tiny sound or whatever, just dead silence.

6. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    I dont know anything about those parts haha. Are they easy to change for a complete tech noob like me or would you suggest pushing the bike to the bike shop?

7. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    You might have stumbled onto something there!
    Can you bump/push start it?
    If so, get some decent trainers!!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    Ok great, i might try so. Is there any way to know if this is the issue beforehand, or is it just replace them and see if it works?

9. robbertvk_

robbertvk_ New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    amsterdam
    Update

So i decided to push my bike to a local mechanic, he managed to start it directly skipping the starting relais. So everything besides that works fine.

He is going to check the wiring to my start button, and the relais and replace whatever is needed. Shouldn't be to costly if thats the case so i am happy.

• Like Like x 4