Help choose a bonneville to a total newbie!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gabrys, Sep 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gabrys

Gabrys New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Lithuania
    Hello to all!
    I just joined the forum and i just got my licence to ride a bike. Always wanted a bonnie, but can't decide on the optimal price/year ratio.
    So my question is what bonneville (year etc.) would you recommend to a total newbie? I would love to buy a street twin, but it is too expensive for now.

Thank you in advance!

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't buy a new bike, you will probably drop it at some point in your first year, you will scape it getting it out of the garage, it will get stone chipped by going down a crappy road. Losing the shine on a brand new bike is heartbreaking, and all the more likely being a newbie.

Buy a 3 year old bike, good condition, full service history, - someone else taken the initial hit on depreciation, but you will know there is nowt wrong with it. It will have some small marks and scrapes, but you will love it just as much as a brand new bike.

In a year or so, when you've made all your rooky mistakes, go buy a new one if you want.

Just my opinion :confused:, don't even know if I answered your question !!!!:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Completely agree with Mr. Orange - the early years of bike ownership can leave some scars so you're better off buying something that's already 'seen a bit of life' so to speak.

I would say look for a bonny in the age range of '05 to '10, 10 to 20,000mls, an SE or a T100.

• Like Like x 1
  4. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Great advice, look for a bike that's been cherished, ridden and looked after by a fine weather rider, there's quite a lot of older bonnies about that'll fit the bill. As the previous posts say make your early mistakes on something you'll be less precious about and that there's plenty of used bits and bobs about on here any fleabay should you bend a peg or scuff a mirror, indicator etc.

We all make mistakes so there's not guarantees even if you've been riding for years but along the way you will pick up scuffs when starting out.

Most important thing is to enjoy whatever you choose

5. Gabrys

Gabrys New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Lithuania
    Thank you for your answers! Great insights guys!!

Just one more question- would you consider buying over ebay without looking at the bike tet-a-tet?

6. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    No, not even from a dealer. Why don't you post a wanted ad on here, you may tempt someone to part with their prized possession if they are updating

• Like Like x 1
  7. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Good spot HT completely missed that, makes even more sense to buy from a trusted forum member than off the dreaded auction site IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum - have to agree with the advice already given above.

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Had to buy my KTM off Ebay without looking at it. I was 'shitting bricks' until it arrived. Don't know I would do it again, just had no choice, no 250 4T KTM's in Scotland or northern Englanshire!!!

If you were to get it from a recommend dealer, maybe get a pal living close to go give it the once over, might be worth a shot, if you are struggling to get one local to you.

Or get one in UK, someone on here will go look see, fly over and ride it home !!!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gabrys

Gabrys New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Lithuania
    Once again thanks, guys!! I actually am considering about flying over and driving it back home:D pitty that we don't have triumphs here in LTU- i've seen only two bonnies here!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hello and welcome on the forum.

I did not read or barely previous replies.
    I just wanted to share my point of view.

Don't buy a new one, you have been told that.

I have been wanting bonnevilles since I really caught the biker bug, I don't know exactly how it happened but when I saw the bonneville I was like

[​IMG]

To my opinion, new ones are too far away from classic bonnevilles or too powerfull, I'm not sure a newbie like you and me need that.

I just bought a 2015 4k mileadge Bonneville T100 black for 6.4k and it's a pure beauty.

Don't buy a 2004 one, they are different from newer ones, the very first EFI series and not the most reliable apparently, and too old, or so I was told. But between 2006 and 2015 you will find very good prices and good bikes.

That's my opinion. I might be wrong.

12. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    Hi Gabrys, I just bought my first Bonneville (first bike in 25 yrs) on e.bay, but not without looking at it first. Didn't ride it but got seller to go up and down street. With new technology you could get seller to video the bike running, both idle, stationary and moving. Not the same as looking for yourself, and I would not have bought mine on that evidence alone.
    What I will say is that the Bonneville appeals to a certain type of rider/person and I have found that they are mostly cherished second bikes, to be used on sunny weekends. Most of the 5 and 6 year old ones I looked at had less than 5000 miles on them, and probably spent more time being polished than being abused. I bought a 2010 se, had the choice of two, one had only done 3000 miles, still had original tyres on.
    They are great bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Oh that sounds like a challenge!!
    Buy the scrambler version if you live out there as my dad was from LV and I know the roads can be shit where you are.