Help......bloody Rats :-(

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by R_1000, Feb 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hello lovely people

As the title says you can guess. My bike sits in an underground car park fully covered. But today when I took the cover off to fit my GB racing covers, to my horror the bike was dirty with rat droppings on the fairing. The damn things have chewed off my GPS wire rubber cover and bit off bit of the Oxford heated grips :mad:

I am fuming here....its either the low life thieving sums or the rats :mad:. I am fighting a loosing battle :mad:

Can someone please kindly advise if there is something I can use to keep these rats off my bike :worried:

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the tank and check the rest of the wiring .under the seat seems all good. Fired the bike and took her around the block and all seems good.

But I really need to put a stop to these rats.

Thanking you all kindly

Kind regards
    H 20180211_164553.jpg 20180211_164556.jpg

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Apparently they don’t like the smell of mint:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sandalfarm

Sandalfarm New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Scottish highlands
    When we bought our strimmer we were warned that mice and rats were known to eat the wires and someone had all the wiring eaten from under their camper van , I've got no answer thought

4. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Halftone rat zapper sounds like a good plan. Just need to make sure I don't electrocute myself :eek:

I had a look and they are about 20 quid. Might do the trick. Also it kills it humanely as possible. I just don't want those rodents having a painful one. Just a quick and easy one.

5. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I'd really prefer something that would keep them off bay than to kill it : unamused:

6. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    DD

Boots :eek:

Do you mean the boots store or my steel cap boots to kick em to death :)

7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^ figured ;)

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Firstly it looks much more like mouse damage than rats. Secondly. You will have the devils own job denying them access.
    So.......a wee box with 3cm holes either end left under the bike and cover and topped up periodically with poisoned bait will knock out your local foragers. £4 odd from your local Tesco. The box is to protect pets. You will not necessarily see dead mice but they share the information and usually peg out in their burrows.
    The wee b******s made a similar mess of my Subaru engine bay but I was avenged!

• Like Like x 2
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well if it’s mouses you could try this, and if it rats just get a bottle with a bigger opening.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    The smell of Pussy :yum:yum

• Like Like x 1
  11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^ OK I have established that these are mouse issues I'm having ;)

Now time to tackle these buggers

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    So it goes to prove mice are smarter than rats, no fingerprints to link them to the crime scene

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Absolutely Crispey ;)

But I don't need evidence to persecute them. They are guilty for going near my bike so they are going to be executed :mad:

14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Mice are repelled by the smell of mint. Some people swear that mice are also repelled by the smell of mothballs. Likewise cat's piss - ammonia mimics the odour of urine.

15. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    This morning I personally went and saw the service company director and showed him the pictures. He is going to deal with it. But nit sure how long before they get their act together because of all the bureaucracy :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I am looking into the peppermint spray. Just trying to assess whatever I use is ok for electrics.

Friend of mine has some form of gel you can apply on the wires that are poisonous to rodents

17. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A wee story of no practical help but gives an indication of habitual rodent behaviour.......
    My late father was a vet. Ministry of Agriculture from pre DEFRA days when the countryside was a food factory not a playground for townies on motorbikes .......
    Anyway, he knew all the county’s farmers and their common woes. One chap with a mixed arable and cattle operation had had a real problem with rodents in his grain storage. All the usual methods of trapping, poisoning etc., had barely made a dent in the population. So when he told my Dad there had been a miraculous collapse in the rodent population it was because he sought some possible veterinary answer. Dad could not come up with anything credible but said ‘keep me posted’.
    On his next visit the truth was unveiled. As I said, a mixed farm. They had mucked out a small byre used for calving cattle; a routine enough occurrence. However, on this occasion the water butt had not been returned to its usual place but rather left in the corner. Within days there was an overpowering stink and its origin was sought. It was the water butt. When decanted it contained the corpses of hundreds and hundreds of rats and mice. The butt had unknowingly been parked under the rodent M1 where rush hour traffic poured out after dark down the ancestral route. There was a worn ledge and access route from which they jumped down en route to the grain silos......virtually the entire population had drowned in the space of 48hrs using the same route.
    Worth a Face Palm?!

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Before you start your bike, open up the air box, mice love motorcycle air box nests. You don't want your enigine to injest a mouse or its bedding. Where's that squeak coming from? :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Well its not mint now its been chewed:(

• Funny Funny x 1