Helmets. Ooh errr missus!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Tom8336, Apr 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    #1 Tom8336, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Well I've been looking at low profile open faced helmets to replace my now shabby looking LS2, and some of the best, un astronaughty, or balloon head looking options are American, such as the ones by Daytona for instance. (I'm not talking about the crappy skullcap, or German Panzergrenadier with a chrome fettish, helmet styles you can find on ebay by the way).

Unfortunately these are all DOT (American), safety rated and not GB or Europe rated, making them illegal for UK/Eur road use.

However. Does it actually matter? I mean who's checking? I would bet £1000 that plod are never going to stop and nick me for wearing a yank skid lid. Even if they pulled me for something else, Dibble wouldn't bother to check the lid.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Septic's (Septic tank's), are intelligent enough to have a decent crash rating on lids. I should imagine that the ones they make for NASA & the USAF have a DOT sticker on them, (just below the Goose, Razorman, War Daddy, & Get Some, etc stickers)?

Seriously though, Bell released the 500 on the UK market and according to them it wasn't modified in any way for submission to our testers, so that's an old design American DOT helmet that's passed BS testing.

And before anyone mentions insurers, yes they will pay out.

So then. Should I worry about the sticker on the back? Or just go and buy a lid that I like from the states?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "So then. Should I worry about the sticker on the back? Or just go and buy a lid that I like from the states?"

The short answer is, I didn't !

I have one of those piss-pot style lids you mentioned with EU stickers on (yeah right;);)) but no-one has ever checked or commented on it.

The bottom line is that the DOT helmet will not be legal in Europe, so only you can decide if you want to be a real rebel or not :D:D

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If they saw my helmet mate, you would see flack !!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, just for the sake of clarity - my motorcycle helmet :oops::oops::rolleyes:

4. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    So they obviously aren't that arsed about it over on the continent either then Dave?

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not at all Tom - never had any issues at all with it, bearing in mind the open drains I use for exhaust cans "Les Poulets" have every excuse to "speak to me".

6. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    A couple of years ago I purchased a Nicky Haydon repsol replica helmet made by KBC from a race shop in america, and yes it came with a Snell sticker on the rear, no Sharpe rating sticker, or ACU track sticker, however my point is this, it would take a very clued up official to know that technically it,s not UK legit, and I can't imagine for ten seconds that kbc has a USA, and a UK/euro production line, or that it's protective qualities are less, given that the us is the land of sue me sue you, it came with spare visor,helmet bag, and full instructions on use/care etc,for a fraction of the price I'd have paid here,, so was well happy. Martingw1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    F**k it then. I've just bought a Daytona.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Good lad. Take some pics when you get it would you, please?

9. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    image.jpg Will do Dave. Should have it by mid week.

This is the one I've bought. The photos showing the difference between the DOT helmet I've gone for, and a typical EU rated open face. Mines the one on the left.

• Like Like x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    well if you ask me... the fact that the studs line up perfectly on the import is definitely a reason why it cant be legal over here! What do you stick on the one on the right, A Tiara? nice lids by the way mine is like the one on the right and a i feel like a Teflon head
    untitled.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Same here. I've got a pea head and putting a hollowed out melon on it just makes me look a twat.

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tom, the one you've bought looks loads better.

Dave

13. cav

cav Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Germany
    Here in Germany they don't really care if it's EC or not, but don't get caught
    in Italy they will impound your bike if you've got a non approved EC Helmet.
    DOT also a no no.

• Like Like x 1
  14. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #14 folkbloke, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Don't underestimate traffic cops and certainly don't underestimate the bike cops. They'll know all about the legal requirements. Whether any of them will be arsed to check is another thing entirely! It's more likely to be a last resort when they can't get you for anything else.

Which reminds me of an article I read on the law regarding reflective helmet stickers in France where it seems the police don't bother to enforce it unless they can't get you for anything else!

15. jon675

jon675 Member

Apr 12, 2015
    West Mids
    Wouldn't a Shark raw fit the bill, just remove the face mask bit....

16. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    No I looked at one of those. They're massive.

17. jon675

jon675 Member

Apr 12, 2015
    West Mids
    Ahh not seen one in the flesh so to speak, but did like the Mad Max look in the pictures of them..

18. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Yeah they do look good, it's just the size when you get them on your head. They make you look like a helicopter pilot!

19. jon675

jon675 Member

Apr 12, 2015
    West Mids
    Lol make a good conversation piece though, left my copter in the car park...

20. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    "Want to come and have a look at my chopper baby"! Fnar, fnar.