Helmet?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by RiderForLife, Dec 13, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RiderForLife

RiderForLife New Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Whats you're view on helmets? Personally I use sohei. It fits my head the best and while the price is a bit high compared to others, the quality and comfort is worth it.

2. BPunch

BPunch New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I think you mean "Shoei". And yea I use the same as my head is ovalish like so its a perfect fit :p

3. figaro

figaro New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    £250 is my limit. While I quite like my head, I don't reckon there's much of any value in there so can't bring myself to spend fortunes on a lid when cheaper lids are just as safe. I have an HJC-shaped swede, so usually go with them, but I've also got Schuberth and Arai lids. The Schuberth's virtually silent but don't fit too good, the Arai fits well but is way too noisy, but the HJCs (I got 3 of 'em) are both comfy and reasonably quiet. Bargain in my book.

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Have a great fitting Arai chaser trouble is it's got Ducati branded all over it and I've sold the Ducati and got a Triumph:rolleyes: it is quite noisy but a great helmet. After trying on loads of helmets I recently went for a Schuberth S2 full face, it's quiter than the Arai has a good internal drop down sun visor and fits well. It's quite light but looks physically bigger than the Arai The Schuberth has cut out for earphones and you can buy an integral Bluetooth system that fits into the neck of the lid; bloody expensive mind.

5. edski675

edski675 New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I have a very big head. True, I do. So I can clean up on XL size in sales, no great brand loyalty, present thing's a Shoei XR thou. Bought it cos it's quiet. I'm part deaf and anything noisy makes my ears ring like hell... so I have to wear earplugs all the time, which is a shame cos my 675 + TOR made a sound that was positively orgasmic, the Sprint seems to be every bit as noisy, but I can't bloody hear it properly, I have to be careful not to lose the hearing I have left.

6. BPunch

BPunch New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I find my head to be one of the most if not the most important part of my body so I try to not look at prices when buying helmets, only on its quality. And the shoei I have atm is the same as yours edski675, a XR thou.

7. Nightshaderider

Nightshaderider New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Thinking of getting a helmet with bluetooth but friends are saying this might be a bit dangerous. Thoughts?

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I will probably get a bluetooth set so I can listen to my satnav, got to be safer than looking at the screen. Also for some reason the Mrs wants to talk to me from her bike while we are riding. Loads of good bluetooth sets out there

9. Nothingbettertodo

Oct 30, 2012
    Shepperton
    I'm currently toying with buying a Shark RSJ open faced lid. Never had one before but have used one many years ago and it was so much quieter than a full-face. I like the RSJ because the visor extends well down to the chin and it has a good built in sun visor with a slick mechanism. Any views out there?

10. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    :cool: I have just got a new lid. a shark s900 I did not know you could get helmets that are glasses friendly. two sections of padded velcro pull out the sides and hey presto glasses fit brill. even the internal sun visor comes down over my specs. for perfect fit there is a built in air pump. also all padding is removeable and you can stick it in the washing machine.... all in all well happy:upyeah:

£169.00 from JTS

• Like Like x 2
  11. trumpet player

trumpet player New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Midlands
    Arai Cosair. Top quality, comfortable but yes a bit noisy, probably not helped by the venting.

12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Just an update after using the Schuberth a while, it's not as quite as everyone was making out although better than the Arai. My only real gripe is that the chin strap is just a little to far back and sometimes I feel it touching my Adams apple, think its a safety thing so it will not pull past your chin in an accident

13. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    Dont pull it to tight.. you will end up like Gail Platt :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. jimlowe

jimlowe Member

Mar 14, 2013
    bideford Devon
    Cant seem to reply unless I quote.any my new he roof.jpg roof 2.jpg lmet

roof.jpg

roof 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Nice lid Jim, is it a Roof? Great colour scheme

16. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Rich, I upgraded from my Shoei X1000 to the Schuberth SR1.
    Loved the Shoei, but had it repaired and hence lost the gold safety seal...
    Only went for the SR1 as it was half price, it was Matt black and mega lightweight...
    I have found the SR1 to be physically smaller than my Shoei, lighter, more comfortable, It is definitely more aero dynamic than my Shoei, something I noticed more when I removed the bikini nose cone off my speed triple.
    A lot less buffeting at 60+.
    It is also definitely better ventilated..
    The visor attach/release/raise and lock are typically well engineered and quick n easy to use.
    And in my opinion the helmet looks fab!

That's the Pro's, now the cons....

Shocking Normal price I think was £650-£699 (I was fortunate to find somewhere doing their last two at £300 back end of last year)
    Due to the large mesh covered air vents, wind noise at 60+ quite loud.
    Due to the size of the holes in the mesh in the chin guard it is possible to catch large lumps of dead bugs in your teeth!!
    Wanted a tinted visor (legal of course) most places £70!! Again luckily managed to get one go 50... Still twice the price of most other tinted visors!!
    Found Matt finish helmets a pain in the derrière to clean without polishing!!

If I was to pick again though after all said I'd probably go for the SR1 again!! :upyeah: love it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. jimlowe

jimlowe Member

Mar 14, 2013
    bideford Devon
    Thanks Yes its the new roof desmo.Roof have certainly got there act together the early roof boxers were downright dangerous,if you pulled the chinpiece forward with the visor down you went blind!The reason I chose this helmet (apart from the fact it matches my bike :) )is that I'm not a fan of fullface helmets but sometimes (fast cruising raining) the are neccessary.But with this I have 2 helmets in one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    See now I'm the opposite, I never really fancied a flip front for safety reasons.
    I know the technology is there now to make them as protective as a FF Helmet, but I have to say that is a fantastic looking lid both up or down..... I really could be swayed by this.....
    Your to Europe last year, three guys had flip fronts and I was envious of the ride up or down, stop for a fag or coffee or ask directions and still no hassle... Half the time we with FF's were still trying to take our helmets off and they were ready to go already...
    Hmm, may have to go try a few ROOFs....

19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I have just won a Shark helmet from my local dealer.s700 or something. Normally use Shoei. Always go for full face as had had some stones hit me in the face and it could have been bad if it was open face....

20. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    My son modelling the prize... Not bad for a freebie

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2