Helmet reccomendations to minimise air turbulance

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Speedsvs, Sep 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Speedsvs

Speedsvs New Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I have just bought a speed triple ...OMG what a bike.

I am looking for any feedback on a good choice of helmet make and style /model to reduce air issues on head.

My current helmet is a shoeberth which is a great helmet but is getting chopped about quite a bit on the speed and lifts up at around 75 mph

Any suggestions and feedback will be appreciated

Speedsvs

2. cafecruzin

cafecruzin Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    Ive had great success with Bell RS1

3. Joe Bar

Joe Bar New Member

May 25, 2014
    I have given up with helmets, after trying several well established brands. None of them reduce wind noise to any great significance. My solution, wear my old Bell or Shoei that fit comfortably & use foam ear plugs on long or high speed rides. Promise the problem is solved.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I used a Schuberth helmet on my speed and found it better than my older Arai.

The best thing I did to reduce noise and turbulence was to remove the nose cowling (if there is one fitted) and have the full on wind blast rather than the slightly pushed up turbulent air from the cowl.

I doubt you will find anything much quieter than the Schuberth although mine was the S2 full face

5. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    My view entirely Joe :smile:

There is no such thing as a quiet helmet despite what manufacturers would have you believe. Comfort and ear plugs are the most important things.

Mind you I think the OP was talking about buffeting which is a slightly different problem and one that is normally caused by a screen of sort so Richard's idea of removing the nose cowling is worth trying.

6. cLuMpY

cLuMpY Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Fareham
    If your lid is lifting at 75 it's either not done up correctly or fits wrong. Any helmet done up correctly and fitting correctly will pretty much sort your problem out. Doesn't have to be a brand lid just make sure it fits right, put it on and walk around the shop with it on for 20 mins if you have too.

7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Its quite easy to go too large on Schuberth, they make the neck padding really wide and deep so they fell tight as hell to pull on over your head.

8. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    My S3 is very quiet.

Schuberth are consistently amongst the quietest of lids

9. 2wheeledant

2wheeledant Member

Aug 10, 2014
    South Shields
    Had the same problem on a Honda CB1000R I owned for a few years, what worked for me, A Shoei XR1100 Helmet, small flyscreen (very small not to spoil look)
    & built up some neck muscles!

10. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I recommend Shoei GT- Air great with the internal sun visor and next to no buffeting.

• Like Like x 2
  11. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got a Shark Speed-R it's designed specifically for naked bikes.

Seems to work OK,it's more stable than my old Shoei but took a lot longer to to run in.

I wasn't sure about it at first but love it now.My mate who rides a Street bought one as well,but not the same colour,we don't want to look to "chummy"

12. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    I have had some different helmets but keep coming back to Arai. A bit noisy but the fit is superb and my specs fit easily within it even tho it's a tight snug fit to get on

13. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I found installing a chin curtain helps with wind noise.

14. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I prefer Arai but i also have a Shoei XR1100 that is fantastic for naked bikes :)

15. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    As one or two others have suggested, your flyscreen (if equipped) may be the true culprit. After moving my headlight and flyscreen assembly down a couple inches (using a Street Triple bracket - easy mod!), I discovered that the wind blast now hits me in the chest instead of the neck. It truly has made a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have a Shark S900 with the internal sun visor, also fitted is a Wind Jammer from Amazon, that helps a lot with noise.
    Plus the Howard Leight foam 'Laser Lite' ear plugs, when used correctly they are fantastic
    Tightly roll one so it is really compact, put it beteen your wet lips then poke it into the ear canal, it is quite impressive how everything goes quiet as they expand.

Good for all motorway speeds

17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I use Shoei XR1100 and Bell M6. I prefer the M6 and I find it to be quiet. Then again we are on a naked bike and I am not sure if any lid would completely block out the wind noise on anything above 70MPH :confused:

18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The quietest helmet I have come across in many years of riding is HJC RHPA 10 but the position of your screen will affect where the air is directed and if it's towards your head then you will suffer more wind noise. You can't beat a good fitting pair of earplugs. Cos I've got very small ear canals and can't get the foam ones to fit well I use some custom moulded ones which cut loads of wind noise out but still allow me to hear things like ambulance sirens before I can see the vehicle. Look after your hearing folks, as the years go by it will go even if you don't ride a bike.

19. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I've also bought a Speed-R and while it's a good helmet I don't notice much improvement with regard to wind noise over the Vision-R it replaced. My main bike is an FJR 1300 and the wind noise on this is bad. The screen while keeping the worst of the wind off me creates a lot of noisy turbulence. The new T120 with no protection is fairly noisy. The best bike I've ridden in recent years for wind noise was a 2012 Fireblade with the tiny standard screen. I agree that the OP's helmet shouldn't be lifting but I think that the type of bike is more the problem than the helmet design with regard to noise.
    After nearly 40 years riding I'm beginning to think that I should start wearing ear plugs - a bit late, think the damage has been done by now.

20. Tony b

Tony b Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Cornwall
    I also have shark speed r and find it great on a couple of different naked bikes as well as my speed