Helmet Cam Recommendations

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Rudeboy, Dec 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Hi All,
    Just wanted to get some views and reviews on what folks on here are using for helmet cams ive been looking at the Roadhawk Bullet R+ Moto edition and the Sena Prism Tube at the moment.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If your'e wanting to make videos the drift ghost or the gopro seems to be the most popular but they are more expensive than the 2 you are thinking about,battery life and sound & picture quality are better too.but if it's just to use for evidence incase of an accident they would be perfect

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Cheers for your replys its not for any serious vlogging just for evidence of the twerps on the roads doing dafty things safety first and all that stuff

• Like Like x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #4 Red Thunder, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    My Drift cameras have saved me thousands when I was knocked off my bike by an Audi on the motorway

Drift Stealth (edit, was Ghost) is the best - about £99 I believe
    3 hr battery life
    High Definition
    Rotateable lens so your picture is always upright/level
    Number of fixing options, helmet, bike frame/body
    WiFi so you can watch clips on your smart phone

Don't go for the Drift 4k, this is not good for bikers as the menu system makes it difficult to use

YouTube video is scaled down - actual footage is picture perfect

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    iv'e been looking for a drift HD or the drift S but they seem very hard to find,everyone seems to be selling the 4k now (not getting great reviews)..if you have a link for a drift at £99 can you let me know!:)

6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Buggery bugger, I meant the Drift Stealth

I have two, the Drift HDs and the Stealth - it was the Stealth that I last saw being sold at £99 - just checked Amazon and Infinity motorcycles and none of the Stealths available.
    It is the Stealth that is smaller and very good, the Ghost HDs was the larger one, and my favourite, but as you say, both are hard to find
    The footage I posted was with the Ghost HDs,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    #7 Andy-K2, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    What side is your helmet cameras mounted? I was thinking off side being best?

I have just bought the Road Hawk Moto R+, going to give it to wifey to wrap up, and on purchasing it crossed my mind as to which side of my helmet would best suit filming for Insurance purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    The drift cameras have the operation buttons on the top, so it is natural to mount the camera on the offside (right side)
    It is as far forward as possible without obstructing the visor so that the field of view includes as much on the nearside (left) as possible

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    That looks like a bad crash hope your ok good footage though

10. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Bruised hip and shoulder, I no have a deformed thigh muscle (it bulges at the top) but doesn't affect me in any way
    The insurers immediately said it would likely be a 50/50 settlement, but then they saw the footage and they said they would fight for 100% the other driver at fault. Which is what happened

If there was no camera, then I would have had to accept 50/50 and lost my 5 years no claims and policy would have gone from £335 to £1,500
    Camera footage is so important for determining fault, I think all riders should have one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Ok I now have my roadhawk cam it seems good for the money it's the moto version so came with a hardwire USB socket and a nice long lead it has live earth and a blue switch wire ignition I guess to power up the cam question is I'm crap with wiring anyone give me a clue where to mount on the Bonny and any tips on where to splice into
    Cheers

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Did you manage to get this sorted? (Despite the lack of responses!). I want to hardwire mine to the Bonneville and wondered how you got on. :cool:

13. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Steve, get one of those piggyback fuse holders, no splicing etc for the live, pick up an earth anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1