Helmet Advice

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by roadrider, Jul 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    My Mrs is buying a new helmet and is thinking of a flip front.
    I've never used one,so how are they?

She likes the the look of the Schubert because it's supposed to be quiet.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    As someone who is biased ( I have worn one for over 5 yrs now ) I would recommend a Shark evoline as the chinbar opens up and becomes part of the rear of the helmet allowing it to be worn as an open face too with no associated drag.

I found that with a lot of flip fronts that the front opens just over 90 degrees creating an air scoop effect when moving making it hard on the neck if open even when moving quite slowly

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    #3 GaryM, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    I have the Schubert C3. Great helmet wish I had bought one years ago.
    So as to your wife's choice I would recommend the Schubert 100%.
    Fits quite closely so when starting to wear it can feel a teeny bit claustrophobic but you soon get used to it.
    Visors are quite pricey if you need a replacement at £65. That's the only downside I can think of.
    The C3 has an integrated sun visor too. The latest version of them that I'm aware of is the C3 Pro.
    Comes in both male and female versions. Not sure what the deferances are but possibly just styling and size.
    As with any helmet fit is everything so make sure it fits well and you won't regret it ( or she won't :) )

Edit, when I bought mine pinlock was included in the box, just had to put it on the visor.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

As Oldyam says shark do helmets where the chin bar flips right to the back of the helmet and out of the way :)
    I have a laser helmet which flips up in the usual open face style but is a very noisy lid :confused:
    Santa (my wife) got me a Shark Evo One and it's excellent,very comfortable,quite and is one of only a few helmets on the market that is designed as being able to be worn as both an open face and a full face helmet :)
    I usually ride with it open...jet style and flip it closed when it starts raining :confused: (bloody country) although it takes a bit of practice at first I can do this easy on the move :p It has a very clever system that automatically lifts the visor when you lift the chin bar and a very good inbuilt sun visor
    I had to remove the cheek pads (easy) and trim them to suit but for me...I'm chuffed to bits with my Shark :cool:
    Thanks Santa XXX:kissing_heart::heart_eyes::heart:

Edit
    Oh yeah nearly forgot it's got that pin lock visor thingy as well so no fogging up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Check the 'date of manufacture' sticker inside the helmet lining before you buy it. I'm not the only one hereabouts to have bought (and returned) a 'new' helmet that was new 10 years ago!:eek::mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Thanks guy's,all good advice.
    I think we'll be having a trying on session over the weekend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Just a last point.
    If your missus wears glasses, make sure she try's them on with the helmets.
    If she doesn't, ignore this post!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I would say particularly with flips to make sure you don't catch glasses when opening/closing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I understand your logic DD
    There is definitely a 'designer' brand snobbery to helmets just as people desire Gucci and Armani shoes, bags, clothing etc.
    There is also an adulation factor where helmets will be chosen because a 'racing hero' wears that particular brand or helmet.
    Taking those two points into account tells me that buyers will be paying over the odds.
    As much as I like the freedom of open face helmets, I would not wear one as they do not offer the protection of a full face helmet.
    So DD's £30 full face in my opinion would be safer than a branded £500 open face, but most probably not as strong or resilient as a branded £500 full face helmet.
    But as DD says in a bad accident would you fare any better in an expensive helmet.
    Lets pray that none of us have to put that to the ultimate test.
    My compromise is a Bell Daytona carbon fibre full face.
    RRP £500
    Bought off Amazon for £122

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Another vote for the Shark Evo, in my case it's a newer Evo 3.

I've only ever had full face in the past and decided that open face would be great for B road bimbling but full face for faster roads, motorways and when it's raining.

I tried on loads including Shuberth, Caberg, Shoei , Shark etc..

I liked the Shoei flip front but, like most of the others it only flips up and I wouldn't want to ride with it up in anything other than town traffic, unless I was on a fully screened tourer, as the drag, and wind noise, must be horrendous.

As soon as I tried the Shark on I was impressed by the fit and comfort but more impressed by the fact that the front flips right over the back and becomes aerodynamic rather than an air brake!

It's easy to flip forward with one hand and once in place you push back towards your face to lock it in place. To open it there's a release button in the middle placed perfectly to operate with your thumb, squeeze the button and flip it back.

It has all the right recesses under the padding to take Bluetooth headset speakers etc.

As with all advice about helmets you should try as many as you can and get the right one for you, the Shark might be great but if it doesn't fit or feel right then it's not for you.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. milligan

milligan Member

May 24, 2017
    n.e. lincs
    I tried full face helmet after using an open face for years and didnt like the lack of vision, I now have a Nolan N40 full massive visor area and the chin bar is removable so can use it full or open, only drawback is its noisy and I dont know what I can do to remedy that, still trying.

13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I have followed this thread with interest but, sorry guys, you are totally missing the point for Mrs roadrider.

What colour is it?

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Milligan, do you use ear plugs ? Why not try some with the Nolan?

I have an open face helmet as well and always wear plugs and find the combo works for me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Most important:rolleyes:

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, having been a product tester for Arai :confused:

helmet6.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. milligan

milligan Member

May 24, 2017
    n.e. lincs
    hi biglad, yes I use plugs (when I remember to put them in ) , am thinking I might try these self moulding ones, its a diy kit of two part silicone , that should do it

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi tc that sounds interesting.
    Can you elaborate on your comment.
    I and I'm sure other forum members would be extremely interested in some factual data.

19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have an HJC flip front helmet and personally wouldn't go back to a fixed full face. They are so convenient when stopped in traffic, going slow through town or stopping to fill up. Very few are designed to be ridden with the front flipped up but there are some.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Came off my GSXR1100 at just over 100mph when a wheelie resulted in a speed wobble (Outside the Cider House in Drift Road Windsor)
    Got spat over the bars, broke my foot on the tank as I was dismounted.
    From the damage, they reckon I had landed on my head and proceeded to do some break dancing.
    The brpken foot was my only injury.
    Strange thing is, when I came off, the visor was closed, when my mates got to me, it was still closed but my glasses had disappeared !
    Never did find them.
    A bike cop turned up and looked for the bike but couldn't find it initially, after being pointed in the right general he found it sat in a ditch, upright with the headlights still on.

Got the bike rebuilt, and went to the South of France the day after picking it up from PDQ's.

GSXR11Flat.jpg

GSXR11hopalong.jpg

• Like Like x 1