Hello From Winston-salem, North Carolina, Usa

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Donovan, Mar 11, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Donovan

Donovan New Member

Mar 11, 2023
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hi,

I purchased my first ever Triumph a couple of days ago, a 2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT. Over the years I have only ridden Japanese motorcycles: a few Hondas, a few Suzukis, and a few Kawasakis. With only a couple hundred miles on the odometer so far, I am loving the Tiger 900 GT with one major disappointment: the owner is unable to reset the service reminder without purchase of third party hardware and software. Perhaps I am overly sensitive to corporate entrapment, but I would have seriously reconsidered my purchase if I had foreknowledge of this limitation. It has been 8 years since my last motorcycle purchase, however, so Triumph may not be alone in restricting the owner's fundamental right to repair. I have ordered the DealerTool kit to reset my service reminder once I do my first oil change at 600 miles, so my anger and disappointment are slowly subsiding.

With this disgruntlement aside, I have been overwhelmingly impressed by the performance of the machine. First, the light clutch pull is much appreciated, especially since the majority of my riding is urban commuting these days with the occasional foray into the nearby mountains or a couple of road trips each year. And, speaking of the clutch, this is the first slipper clutch I've ever used. It has been a delight to learn that I don't have to blip the throttle for smooth downshifts.

This has also been my first bike with multiple rider modes. I had the misfortune of being caught in a rainstorm during my commute to work yesterday morning and felt much more confident once I switched to rain mode with its blunted throttle response. On the opposite end, I found that sport mode provides for an invigorating kick in the pants with crisp throttle response and a more aggressive snarl emanating from the exhaust. As for the exhaust, I couldn't be more pleased with the deep rumble that stretches into a snarl as the RPMs climb. As pleasing as this exhaust note is, though, my ears rang that night after riding for an hour on my first day with the bike. I will most certainly need to wear earplugs to protect my hearing if riding more than 15 minutes.

Another awesome feature I have enjoyed so far are the heated handgrips. They get nearly uncomfortabley hot in the highest setting with ambient temperature around 40F (4C). They should work well in below freezing temperatures. And for further warmth, I have already availed myself of one of the 2 electrical connections, an SAE type connector and BMW type connector, to connect an old Aerostich Kanetsu electric vest. For wind protection, I have found the stock windscreen perfect. I stand at 5'9" (1.75m). If I lower the screen one notch below its highest setting, I get no uncomfortable buffeting and can ride with my helmet face shield up at 60mph. Lastly, the suspension has been impressive thus far. At my weight of 140 lbs (63.5 kg), I have found the suspension confidence inspiring in the corners and controllably soaks up rough pavement. Enhancing the impressive suspension is a low center of gravity, especially for an ADV style bike, that make technical low speed maneuvers easy.

I look forward to hearing about others' experiences with Triumphs and the Tiger 900 GT in particular. Keep your knees in the breeze and be safe.

Cheers!
    Donovan

• Like Like x 5
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Donovan :cool:

3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome, great intro! I always forget I have rain mode on mine :laughing:.

4. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  5. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    #5 Geoff Butler, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Welcome Donovan and I thought I was articulate. If you are not a writer, you should be! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Nice write up. Dispelling the myth that below the Mason-Dixon Line there are nothing but hillbillies.

Welcome from a fellow 'Merican right up the road in South Jersey.

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster here. My first Triumph, as well. Love it!
    Good luck with your Tiger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Hi to you, also for me my first Triumph a Street Triple 765 r, only collected 2 days ago, loving it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Great first post, Donovan. Unfortunately, though, you've set the bar quite high for yourself now ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire. y115.gif y115.gif

10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….