Hello From Utah, Usa - Speed Triple 1200 Rs

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by herferod, Aug 9, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. herferod

herferod New Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Utah, USA
    Hi all!

I've been riding a Triumph since my first Speed Triple (2001 955i). I just got myself the 2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS, and so far I have loved it... mostly.

Sadly, I've had a major problem as I was doing my break-in. I did the first 300 miles according to the break-in sticker- never going above 5k rpm. But after speaking with my local Triumph tech, I did 300-450 miles fairly hard; I was going all through the rev's and pushing quite a bit. During that trip, I had some weird warning lights come on; the battery/electrical light would flash briefly but immediately disappear, and nothing was saved in the "warnings" section of the console.

Then I went on my next ride. I wasn't even riding hard this time. I was doing a canyon with my cruise set at 55mph in 4th gear. Right around the 480 mile mark, I got a Transmission, a Check Engine, and a Battery warning light. The Battery light vanished and wasn't saved in the "warnings", but the Transmission and Check Engine stuck. The bike put itself into the "limp home mode" and I made it home.

This was 7/25/21. My local dealer told me that they didn't know what they were doing with the new electronics package and they had called in to corporate Triumph. Corporate advised to charge the battery and just reset the codes.

7/31/21 - 20 minutes after picking her up at the dealer and maybe 30 miles, all of the warning lights are back. I take her right back to the dealer.

8/9/21 - Haven't heard a word.

For anyone that doesn't know what the "limp home mode" does - it limits the speed that the engine will rev up, and it maxes the rpm at about 4600.

Other than this issue, I've been loving the bike. I can't wait to take her to the track 8-13-21... if she's running.

Anticipated mods:
    Evotech radiator protector
    Evotech fender eliminator
    Triumph frame sliders
    Triumph fork protectors
    Triumph tire pressure sensor
    Triumph windscreen (only for track days)
    A new seat - God, please inspire someone to make a decent aftermarket seat
    Possibly change the suspension springs - I'm 250 lb, and the preload is pretty tight
    Exhaust - I'm sure that the Euro5 system is cutting off a decent amount of HP, but I'm not going to mess with anything unless I see actual performance gains.

• Like Like x 2
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Heferrod
    Sorry to hear of your mishaps. Certainly don't expect that kind of behaviour from a new steed. I think i would be kindly telling the dealer i want a new bike or a full refund.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Herferod :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello Herferod.

gump (1).gif

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    I don’t think those problems are related to how you rode it, it sounds electrical. Rather than charge the battery I would have suggested they replace it with a new one, dodgy batteries can cause all kind of problems on modern bikes/ cars with their complex electronics. If a new battery doesn’t cure it then it’s probably a faulty sensor somewhere sending errant messages to the ecu which then throws a wobbly.

Are they testing the bike while they have it to see if they can replicate the fault?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. herferod

herferod New Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Utah, USA
    I haven't heard a word since I returned it on 7/31. At that point, they had actually ridden about 50 miles to test her out. They were unable to replicate, but it only took me 30 miles to get the faults back. I notified them that I would be more than happy to take her out at any point to test, but they haven't asked me to do it yet...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. robert moore

robert moore Nobby

Jul 4, 2021
    Malvern Hills
    Howdy Herferod,
    Welcome to the forum from one newbie to another. I hope your steed is/being sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. herferod

herferod New Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Utah, USA
    I have an actual update!!!! They believe they found the problem... though they have no ability to fix it.

Apparently there is a pressure sensitive cable connecting the Servo Motor to the Butterfly Valve responsible for actuating the Exhaust Valves. This cable is VERY tight to begin with. When I sit my fat-ass on the bike, it is supposedly tugging on the pressure sensor and activating all of the codes.

The only way for them to fix this is to either get a longer cable to install, or to update the ECU to allow for more flex in that pressure sensor. Either way, it comes down to Triumph corporate basically issuing an official recall/update.

How long will this take?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. herferod

herferod New Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Utah, USA
    I have an actual update!!!! They believe they found the problem... though they have no ability to fix it.

Apparently there is a pressure sensitive cable connecting the Servo Motor to the Butterfly Valve responsible for actuating the Exhaust Valves. This cable is VERY tight to begin with. When I sit my fat-ass on the bike, it is supposedly tugging on the pressure sensor and activating all of the codes.

The only way for them to fix this is to either get a longer cable to install, or to update the ECU to allow for more flex in that pressure sensor. Either way, it comes down to Triumph corporate basically issuing an official recall/update.

How long will this take?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Hereford.
    Not to sure about the late models but on my 10 street triple and a couple of Daytona's I junked that exhaust butterfly and set the bikes up to run without it. As I say this was earlier models so later ones I don't have a scooby but worth an ask. The butterfly setup is a pain ask any track racer no one has it on there.
    Joe.

13. Omoishiroi

Omoishiroi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ, US
    I had very similar issue with my car and they ended up finding a short in one of the wires in the firewall. It was not an easy fix as they decided to basically rewire the whole electrical system. But it took a day at the shop to find the issue - very frustrating. Hope they figure it out soon.
    I'm in Park City and have a new pair of triumph brand frame sliders that I can cut you a great deal on. I'll PM you pictures and a price if interested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. herferod

herferod New Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Utah, USA
    If I hadn't already ordered and paid for a set through Harrison, I'd totally take you up on those sliders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Heferod and welcome to the forum :cool: best of luck on the fix and return of your ride. Looking forward to seeing it

• Agree Agree x 1