Hello From London

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Sarah A, Apr 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    London
    Hi there!

My name is Sarah and I live in London, originally from South Africa.

Just got my first 'big bike', a green and gold Triumph Bonneville T100 '07. I'm really enjoying it so far, just getting used to the height (I'm 5'2 so a bit of an adjustment) and the weight compared to my old Jap 125.

Been wanting a Triumph forever, so I'm very happy. If anyone has any advice on potentially and cost-effectively lowering the bike by an inch or two that would be very helpful. I'm also experiencing some juddering and vibrating when using the front brake at lower speeds, and am really hoping it's something small and easy to fix and not a more serious issue.

Looking forward to being part of the forum!

Thanks, Sarah

• Like Like x 3
  2. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum. I too recently bought my first triumph and am a happy camper. As for your problem, check out the delboy videos on youtube. I am much happier with my scrambler now that I can place both feet firmly on the ground!

and don't forget to always ride safe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in.
    To keep the inmates happy we will need photos.
    Tucker

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah A

Sarah A New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    London
    Thank you, I'll do some researching this evening :)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome from another new member. You've already gotten some good advice above and I'm sure more will be on the way. In addition to what you will find here, other sites touch on this topic. A quick Google search resulted in these and other links:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/189653-advice-on-lowering-t100.html

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/progressive-fork-lowering-kit-for-triumph-bonneville

https://www.triumphtalk.com/threads/lower-shocks.24878/

Just develop a keen sense about what is fact and opinion before you spend a bunch of money. Enjoy your new ride!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi Sarah and welcome

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Welcome to the forum Sarah
    What was it about Triumph that appealed to you so much?
    ...and what brought you to London?

8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well it wasn't the weather!
    Welcome Sarah by the way.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Sarah and welcome to the forum :)

10. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Welcome Sarah enjoy the forum and the new 'Bonnie' :sun::sun:

11. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Welcome in Sarah from a fellow (still in SA) member. Pictures is compulsory ! I saw a very nice looking T100 at Traditional Triumph in Edenvale over the weekend. With the roll out of a newly appointed importer for Triumph they are now only a service dealer whilst the new Triumph store gets constructed and ready to open in May. I can not wait literally to see the new RS Triple in person ! Anyway I hope you enjoy the new bike and that you get the small niglets sorted ! Ride safe

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My ex wife had the seat on her Kawasaki Z400 re-sculptured to make getting her feet on the ground easier. Made life much better for her.

Sorry .... nearly forgot me manners - welcome, Sarah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome.
    Wessa

14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Sara,
    Try putting slightly heavier springs in the front forks or longer spacers (same net effect) then lower the front by 3/4 to an inch , the stiffer front stops sag and allows the front to be lowered. This will give you two net benefits, 1st some of the lowering you are after ... As much as 35 mm seat height drop ! The other benefit is slightly faster turn in !
    As to the slight juddering you speak of, look at the head stem bearings, they maybe a smidgen loose ! They are probably ball and race ? You can replace them with tapered roller type bearings , much less prone to loosening and therefore less prone to juddering !!
    I have done this on my 08/09 America and cured it of many small problems, handling is much improved..!

• Like Like x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome Sarah, the bonneville v T100, you’ve picked the taller bike unfortunately but never mind. Re-front brake, I’d start with a quick rub down clean with abrasives on the disc as it could be where mild oxidation has formed round the uncovered area of the pads and sometimes it feels lumpy. That’s the first and easiest fix to try.

17. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Hello Sarah and welcome aboard, glad to see your'e getting some good advice, enjoy the forum and safe riding.

18. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #18 R_1000, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Welcome buddy :)

Where about in London are you? I am in Edgware. We will be at Frith Street opposite Bar Italia this Friday evening between 9-10PM. Don't expect much though.....aimless conversations and tea after tea :D. If you are close by please do stop over :)

19. SixtiesBiker

SixtiesBiker Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Northern Ireland
    Welcom. Happy days on your bike.