Heel Toe

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bucky, Feb 2, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi Again,
    Just another wee foible i encountered today.
    Brought my Commander home from dealers and for first time ever, i was on a bike with a heel toe shifter.
    Got onto A road and thought i would give it a go, f..k, i couldnt find the heel lever, but fortunately the toe shift is high enough for me to use gears the conventional way.
    So, anyone tell me the purpose of, or the need for a heel lever ?.
    Ive been riding bikes a long time, and used the toe method, one down 5 up etc. Dont see the point of heel lever.

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    There's no 'point' per se, if you don't like it, don't use it. But I think the idea is that it suits the riding style.

What I mean by that, is that unlike some smaller engined bikes, where you have to work the engine to get power out, by keeping it in the power band, and constantly changing gears ... you've got torque all day from 1000rpm.

So it's kinda a comfort thing, you can keep your foot flat on the board when cruising, shift your foot forward a bit when you're going to need to be changing down to come to a stop, and when you're pulling away, it's kinda satisfying to shift your foot back a bit, and stamp with your heels to change up.

Having said all that, I will admit that whilst I loved the heel-toe when I got the commander (and got used to it), after having bought the Rocket, when I go back to the Commander, I do also tend to use it like a conventional shifter now. But it's still no bad thing having it there, you can just ... not use it :)

My humble advice though, give it a go for a while, see if it grows on you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Yeah, i get what your saying ma man, im only mentioning that i dont really see the point in this set up when a toe shifter gets the job done on its own

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Yeah, for sure, I get that too. I guess just be thankful it's designed in a way that if you don't like it, you have the option to not use it.

If it's your only bike, I'd encourage you to give it a go for a while, and see if you take to it. But like I say, now that I have a second bike that isn't heel-toe, when I get on the commander, I also don't bother (or rather, THINK) to use it either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    My mind was made up in a matter of minutes when i tried ( for first time ever ) to use the heel toe.
    As ive said, just couldnt conquer tis method, so reverted back instantly to just using to lever.
    No-one will ever convince me that it serves a purpise, absolutely no need for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Excuse the typo mistakes, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    It's probably not a big job to remove it if you wanted to, from memory it's a separate lever bolted onto the main shift arm. You could probably just undo it and remove.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Yes you can remove it, which will be done the morn

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1